Desperately seeking VV luggage tag info

Antie_Moe

I found another post before I joined but now that I'm logged in I cannot find it. One of the responses said "Virgin does the luggage tags at the port, like at the airport." Cool already new the port part - but I cannot for the life of me find an image of these elusive tags. Are they the strong plasticky sticker loops like at the airport? Is that why folks say you don't need those plastic covers for them - they are not paper?

This is not my first cruise, just first on VV, any tips are appreciated, images and dimensions of said tags are even better!

-Monica

they're like airline tags, no need for plastic covers.  tell the porter your cabin number (if you forget, it's right in your app, or if you're fumbling, they can find you on their paper list). 

leave the tags on if you want them to take your bags off at the end of your trip.  i want to say bags need to be out the last night by like 9 or 10, but they do a terrible job of communicating that, so check w/ sailor services.

• Like 2

The tags survived being shoved under the bed for 14 days, etc. with no problem.  Yes, they are like the airline tags.  We were told bags out by 10 most recently, but knew that they were taken within minutes of placing them out at about 9.

People worry way too much about the tags on their first VV cruise.  It is one part of the system that really works well.  As above, it is easiest if you know your cabin number, but if not, the porters have a paper list.  If you remove your tags and then put your bags out, your stateroom host will retag them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antie_Moe said:

Thank you both! I saw a youtube video of a guy who's bag was LOST on VV, soooo - my Type A wants to prevent any of THAT happening.

And that guy is the only one I've ever heard of who had a lost bag....I also had many questions about that video, starting with why was he checking luggage for a 3 night cruise.  Hint--air tag.  Never needed them at the cruise line, but it could help.  When I left my cabin and went on deck, it told me I was separated from my luggage and where the luggage was!  Secondly, the longest it has ever taken for my bags to arrive at the room was about 25 minutes after I arrived....normally before 2pm!  I would not wait till anywhere near sail away time to become concerned.  Our bags have sometimes been there by the time we entered room, used facility, dropped carry on, and turned around to go to lunch.  If I got back from lunch and my bag wasn't there, I'd be accessing my air tag and talking with both my host and sailor services.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

And that guy is the only one I've ever heard of who had a lost bag....I also had many questions about that video, starting with why was he checking luggage for a 3 night cruise.  Hint--air tag.  Never needed them at the cruise line, but it could help.  When I left my cabin and went on deck, it told me I was separated from my luggage and where the luggage was!  Secondly, the longest it has ever taken for my bags to arrive at the room was about 25 minutes after I arrived....normally before 2pm!  I would not wait till anywhere near sail away time to become concerned.  Our bags have sometimes been there by the time we entered room, used facility, dropped carry on, and turned around to go to lunch.  If I got back from lunch and my bag wasn't there, I'd be accessing my air tag and talking with both my host and sailor services.

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he really hates just about everything associated with VV, but insists on sailing with them just to complain. He also confessed in another video that he was hired on as an entertainer, but first said he quit then said he'd been let go. I don't trust anything this guy says.

That being said, I have heard accounts of porters writing incorrect cabin numbers, or writing them illegibly, so I made my own as a backup that I will apply at the hotel before we leave to board the ship.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he really hates just about everything associated with VV, but insists on sailing with them just to complain. He also confessed in another video that he was hired on as an entertainer, but first said he quit then said he'd been let go. I don't trust anything this guy says.

That being said, I have heard accounts of porters writing incorrect cabin numbers, or writing them illegibly, so I made my own as a backup that I will apply at the hotel before we leave to board the ship.

Not a bad idea.  I leave my airline luggage tags on when i go to the cruise port.  That way, my name is on the bag in multiple ways--the personal, hard plastic tag, the airline tag, and then the tag with the cain number that the porter applies (no name there.  My logic is that if somehow the cabin number is incorrect, there is are at leat 2 tags with my correct name on the outside of the bag.

And yes, the video was the same guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swells1 said:

I literally watch what the porter writes down and do not leave unless I'm satisfied that it's correct and legible!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Antie_Moe said:

@Swells1 can you share a picture or file? I've actually made a bid for an upgrade and have not been notified if we got it or not, so I guess we'd just go by the cabin displayed in our app for now? Cruis is in late February 2024.

I'm kind of a nerd, so I used a simple excel spreadsheet. I was able to get 6 on one sheet. I just put my name, Virgin Voyages, Valiant Lady, Cabin Number, Sailing Dates and both of our phone numbers. 

(Here's where my true nerd comes in.) I printed them on red paper, cut them out, laminated them, and punched a hole in the top. 

I'd probably use the current cabin number for now, and carry a Sharpie if you need to change it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Antie_Moe said:

@Swells1 can you share a picture or file? I've actually made a bid for an upgrade and have not been notified if we got it or not, so I guess we'd just go by the cabin displayed in our app for now? Cruis is in late February 2024.

Upgrads are not announced until a few days before embarkation.  For now,  the app is correct.  If you don't get the upgrade bid and still want to try to upgrade, there is a desk at the terminal where you can see specific cabins and how much it will cost you to upgrade at that time (so you KNOW what you're getting, not just what category).  

You guys are worrying WAY too much about luggage tags.  Problems are very rare, the tags are quite sturdy.  Sorry that I don't have a pic from 10 days ago; I removed the ship's tags for the airline tags.  KEYS--watch the porter write the numbers and make sure they are right.  Attach something else with at least you name on it.  Never had a luggage tag come off, but if it does, VV can locate your cabin with just your name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

I'm kind of a nerd, so I used a simple excel spreadsheet. I was able to get 6 on one sheet. I just put my name, Virgin Voyages, Valiant Lady, Cabin Number, Sailing Dates and both of our phone numbers. 

(Here's where my true nerd comes in.) I printed them on red paper, cut them out, laminated them, and punched a hole in the top. 

I'd probably use the current cabin number for now, and carry a Sharpie if you need to change it.

I'm such a nerd I teach Excel to lawyers! 😆 Good on ya!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antie_Moe said:

I'm such a nerd I teach Excel to lawyers! 😆 Good on ya!

How well do they learn it? I use Excel all the time. One time I had a question at work about something I was trying to do in Excel and our IT folks had no idea what I was talking about. So glad for Google at times.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

How well do they learn it? 

Some better than others. 😉 There used to be a secret squirrel listserv for Excel I'd use for the extra bizarro things; once got my answer from someone is Brazil and at the time thought that was just so cool. (Think mid 90s.) That has been merged into what we now know as answers dot microsoft, sooooooo. Meh, mixed results these days. Yes, tg for google!