Big 'O' martini recipe

jackdeb

For each Big O fill a shaker with ice

- 2 1/2 oz. Grey Goose vodka

- 1/2 oz Cointreau

- 1/2 oz orange juice

- 1/2 oz cranberry juice

and a splash of lime juice

Stir and strain into a chilled martini glass.

This recipe is from Taste the World, a book we received when booking a cruise in 2012.

We were at an in person presentation with O reps and a large local agency. 

Back in the day when they did such things.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

When is a "martini" not a Martini?  When it's made with fruit juice and fruit-flavored liqueur (Cointreau).  No serious drinker would touch it.  Thus spake Zarathustra.

I am not fond of vermouth. I order a gin "Martini" without vermouth. People tell me I cannot call that a Martini either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As I learned on a recent trip to Poland (at a Georgian (country not state) restaurant no less), all booze is some form of vodka (which is not just made from potatoes...who knew?) so the point is moot. Martinis must be served in martini glasses though or people get very miffed (love the ones without stems since 1 out of 3 get broken by the spouse).

8 hours ago, MaryNorCal said:

Am drinking similar, except substitute orange juice and cranberry for pomegranate juice. And yes, am a serious drinker.

Yes, "serious drinker" may not have been the best choice of words.  Let me substitute instead: "...purist blessed and ordained by the Spirit of Spirits to uphold traditional values and principles."  That would be myself.  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, SATaxman said:

I am not fond of vermouth. I order a gin "Martini" without vermouth. People tell me I cannot call that a Martini either.

You’re at least half right:  a true Martini must be made with gin, not vodka.  It also takes a scoach of dry vermouth for a dry Martini so you may be allowed to call it extra dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shank63 said:

You’re at least half right:  a true Martini must be made with gin, not vodka.  It also takes a scoach of dry vermouth for a dry Martini so you may be allowed to call it extra dry.

Agree.

59 minutes ago, shank63 said:

I fully support shank63.  As a purest and member of a group of fellow professionals called the “Martini Tribe”, it is painful to see references to vodka drinks as martinis.  It is true that gin starts as vodka before the botanicals are added.  But the term “Martini” should be reserved for gin, some vermouth, and - if desired - olives (always pitted and never with pimento which adds a bad aftertaste, blue cheese - the horror  - or anything else stuffed inside it); lemon twist, or pickled onions (if a Gibson is desired).  I have nothing against vodka and those that enjoy it.  Just call your libation a vodka drink instead of a Martini.  ☺️

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Agree.

My Father's idea of a martini was using Gin, opening a window, and deciding if the neighbors had a bottle of Vermouth in their home, that was close enough. I was also excited that Martini's had one of my favorite Gins, The Botanist. By the second night the bartenders knew my name and my drink.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

My Father's idea of a martini was using Gin, opening a window, and deciding if the neighbors had a bottle of Vermouth in their home, that was close enough. I was also excited that Martini's had one of my favorite Gins, The Botanist. By the second night the bartenders knew my name and my drink.

It is rumored in at least one book on martinis that Winston Churchill simply opened the bottle of Vermouth and waved it towards France.  I don't waste my energy on opening the bottle; I simply wave it eastward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

It is rumored in at least one book on martinis that Winston Churchill simply opened the bottle of Vermouth and waved it towards France.  I don't waste my energy on opening the bottle; I simply wave it eastward.

I do use Dolin Red Vermouth in Negronis.

2 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

Why not just order gin since that's what you want?

Basically, that is what I do. The only reason the word Martini comes up in my order is to make sure the Gin is shaken 30+ times, and served in a stemmed Martini glass.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, DrHemlock said:

When is a "martini" not a Martini?  When it's made with fruit juice and fruit-flavored liqueur (Cointreau).  No serious drinker would touch it.  Thus spake Zarathustra.

or contains the words “ chocolate” or “espresso” in its description

16 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Basically, that is what I do. The only reason the word Martini comes up in my order is to make sure the Gin is shaken 30+ times, and served in a stemmed Martini glass.

A couple of points:

1). One reason to order a Martini instead of gin on the rocks is that you get more gin.  Many years ago a bartender shared that secret with me.  He told me that if you order gin on the rocks you get one shot of gin.  But if you order a Martini you generally get two shots.  Both are typically the same price.  So if you do not like vermouth you can order a very, very dry Martini (which has a tiny amount of vermouth) and enjoy the extra quantity.

2)). The James Bond movies did a disservice to Martini drinkers by suggesting that a Martini should be shaken.  A Martini should always be stirred, not shaken.  Shaking bruises the gin.  Bruising refers to slivers of ice that break off during the shaking process that then float in the glass and distract from the drinking experience.  Since Martinis are meant to be sipped, you don’t want to sip on a sliver of ice.  

34 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

A couple of points:

1). One reason to order a Martini instead of gin on the rocks is that you get more gin.  Many years ago a bartender shared that secret with me.  He told me that if you order gin on the rocks you get one shot of gin.  But if you order a Martini you generally get two shots.  Both are typically the same price.  So if you do not like vermouth you can order a very, very dry Martini (which has a tiny amount of vermouth) and enjoy the extra quantity.

2)). The James Bond movies did a disservice to Martini drinkers by suggesting that a Martini should be shaken.  A Martini should always be stirred, not shaken.  Shaking bruises the gin.  Bruising refers to slivers of ice that break off during the shaking process that then float in the glass and distract from the drinking experience.  Since Martinis are meant to be sipped, you don’t want to sip on a sliver of ice.  

All true; however, I like the ice on the top.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SATaxman said:

All true; however, I like the ice on the top.

14 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Agree.  The ice is a bonus.

I regret to inform both SATaxman and 1985rz1 that you application to the Martini Tribe has been denied 😊😊

• Haha 2