Regent Hotels in San Juan

ivyleaguegent

For many years, the Caribe Hilton was the best hotel in all San Juan.  Somehow in recent years it has lost its lustre.  You may want to check an AI summary of more than 100 reviews of the hotel.  Caveat emptor...AI makes mistakes...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d149921-Reviews-Caribe_Hilton_Hotel-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Hilton has bought up a number of historic hotels, and run them into the ground. And, in the case of Regent’s hotels for Alaska cruises this summer, their chosen Hilton hotel was highly inadequate, and the included breakfast was impossible due to lack of tables. The transport to the port was a disaster in crowded and late busses. Now, we take the transport and hotel credits, and book our own room and take cabs or whatever. Understand that this is not Regent’s fault. It is because of the world-wide collapse of the hospitality industry, and Regent can’t get decent and reliable  land service under contract— anywhere.  So when we embark in San Juan this March, we do our own research and book our own hotel, take cabs, and such. Doesn’t cost much more, if any. And we also take the economy air credit and book our own business class air. Now, who that cruises Regent REALLY flies economy air these days? And Regent might book us out of Denver on United. That would be unacceptable because United has become totally unreliable out of Denver, and I don’t want to pay $75 just to talk to a Regent air rep to explain this (and I do blame Regent for this charge). Regent does, and always has, provided excellent cruises. But for land transfers, hotels, and air, I think it has run into a brick wall of land and air transport inadequacy. So we arrange our own. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:10 PM, Dolebludger said:

That would be unacceptable because United has become totally unreliable out of Denver, and I don’t want to pay $75 just to talk to a Regent air rep to explain this (and I do blame Regent for this charge).

The $75 is only if you choose NOT to deviate.  If you find your flights unacceptable, call Custom Air to deviate and find new flights the $75 fee is applied to your $175 custom air deviation charge. 

I talked to the Regent agent when I deviated a few months ago and she said the charge significantly reduced wait times for those who are truly planning a deviation.  

Edited by papaflamingo

On 11/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, jabbawocky said:

Still waiting to hear which hotel we have been allocated in March but my Regent agent said it will be one of Caribe Hilton, San Juan Marriott Resort or Condado Vanderbilt Hotel. 

In our experience, the Condado Vanderbilt is lovely.  Can't speak to the Marriott, since we have not stayed there recently (our most recent stay was at the Residence Inn in Isla Verde, which seems to be quite new).