Getting to Crystal caves in Bermuda

tmal2

We'll be in Bermuda on the Getaway in February and we're interested in making a private excursion to the Crystal caves from the Dockyard. Does anyone know if this is an easy trip to make within the 9-4 window the ship will be in port? What's the best way to get to the caves?

Thanks

We took the Ferry to Hamilton and a bus to the crystal caves.. Transportation pass covers both.  Schedule is on line.  Cave tour was about 20 minutes.  February is the off season so book an excursion if offered. They also rent a twizzy at the dockyard.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, runnersuzy said:

We took the Ferry to Hamilton and a bus to the crystal caves.. Transportation pass covers both.  Schedule is on line.  Cave tour was about 20 minutes.  February is the off season so book an excursion if offered. They also rent a twizzy at the dockyard.  

We did the same thing but we were in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days and time wasn’t an issue.  But public transportation was easy and cheap.

29 minutes ago, runnersuzy said:

Thanks for the information. I have to ask, what's a twizzy? 

7 hours ago, tmal2 said:

Thanks for the information. I have to ask, what's a twizzy? 

I suggest because of your port schedule taking either a public ferry to Hamilton and then a taxi to the caves or the free ferry NCL provides to St. George and then a taxi from St. George to the caves. While a cave tour of one of the two caves, the Crystal cave tour itself is only 20 minutes usually in addition to the time to get there, they are on the other side of the island, there is time waiting for the cave tour at the caves because only a limited number can go in at a time. A Twizy is a two seat electric vehicle that can be rented. Since time is an issue a ferry to Hamilton and then a taxi is safest for a do it yourself.  

Edited by Charles4515

If you plan on visiting only the caves or the caves and Hamilton I suggest the ferry to Hamilton, taxi to caves, taxi back to Hamilton, visit and ferry to Dockyard.

If you want to visit St-Georges and the caves , then ferry to St-Georges, taxi to caves, taxi to St-Georges, visit, ferry to Dockyard

If you want to visit the most part of the Island, I would hire a taxi for 4 hours at the Dockyard, go to the caves directly to get there before the tour buses, have him wait while you tour the cave, then you have about 2h - 2h30 to get back to the Dockyard, so you can stop at a few point of interest on your way. $50/h for up to 4 passengers. That is my plan for my upcomming short day in Bermuda.

Have fun

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were very disappointed that when we Docked in Bermuda and headed by cab to the Caves... there were no spots available for the day.

Make a reservation before you go...We were there Mid April 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2024 at 8:54 AM, copper6606 said:

We were very disappointed that when we Docked in Bermuda and headed by cab to the Caves... there were no spots available for the day.

Make a reservation before you go...We were there Mid April 

Do you have a link for making reservations for the Caves?  Thanks for your help!!

You actually can't make a reservation on line- you have to call in ... (441) 293 0640

We don't dock until 12:00 the first day... so Ithought I'd make my reservation for 2:30. This will give us time to get there by ferry

They say it takes 1-1.5 hours to tour the caves [ they close at 4:30. ]

Crystal Caves Bermuda ... if you want to Google it

I just called them to make our reservations and they won't make one until 2 weeks before. 

Edited by copper6606
  • Thanks 2

On 11/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, tmal2 said:

We'll be in Bermuda on the Getaway in February and we're interested in making a private excursion to the Crystal caves from the Dockyard. Does anyone know if this is an easy trip to make within the 9-4 window the ship will be in port? What's the best way to get to the caves?

Thanks

Given your limited time in port your best bet might be a shore excursion through the ship.  It is pretty far from the dockyard to the caves.

We did it on our own however we were docked in St. George’s on an overnight.

58 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Given your limited time in port your best bet might be a shore excursion through the ship.  It is pretty far from the dockyard to the caves.

We did it on our own however we were docked in St. George’s on an overnight.

Your advice to OP is a little late but too bad OP has not told us if they made it to the caves last month in Bermuda if their sailing made it there. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have passed the Twizzle Inn many times on the bus and have never stopped in.  Should we?  Cannot remember if we took the bus from Dockyard or not but looking to do something different.

10 minutes ago, dazey said:

Yes, that is it.  Near the cave and ice cream stop where it seems lots of people get off.

I'm planning on going to the Swizzle Inn after the caves, then Blue Hole this September.  I've never had a Rum Swizzle!😄