Atlanta to Edmondton to Vancouver-90 min. adequate for connection?

richart

In my entire life I have always flown non-stop and never had to make a connecting flight. Now we will be traveling from Atlanta ATL on Delta/Westjet codeshare to Edmondton YEG arriving at 11:50am and then taking a connecting flight to Vancouver YVR at 1:20pm. Is 90 minutes going to be enough time? Won't we have to claim our checked luggage and go through Canadian Customs? Experienced travelers please help me out with just what the process is.

I would be wary of that amount of time.  You never know how long baggage claim alone will take.

You will have to hope that you are not late leaving ATL and that you land on time in Edmonton.

We always choose routes and connections based on the layover time in the connecting city and we never opt for the shorter connection time.  In fact, we will often choose a 3 hour layover if we can find it - especially when customs and immigration or passport control is involved.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richart said:

In my entire life I have always flown non-stop and never had to make a connecting flight. Now we will be traveling from Atlanta ATL on Delta/Westjet codeshare to Edmondton YEG arriving at 11:50am and then taking a connecting flight to Vancouver YVR at 1:20pm. Is 90 minutes going to be enough time? Won't we have to claim our checked luggage and go through Canadian Customs? Experienced travelers please help me out with just what the process is.

YEG is a pretty small airport.  Your bags will be checked through to YVR so you don’t need to claim checked luggage.  Edmonton uses the electronic scanner kiosks for Customs & Immigration (CBSA) so it’s a pretty quick process.

I would feel quite comfortable with a 90 minute connection.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I would be wary of that amount of time.  You never know how long baggage claim alone will take.

You will have to hope that you are not late leaving ATL and that you land on time in Edmonton.

We always choose routes and connections based on the layover time in the connecting city and we never opt for the shorter connection time.  In fact, we will often choose a 3 hour layover if we can find it - especially when customs and immigration or passport control is involved.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately Delta/Westjet is doing away with their morning nonstop from ATL to YVR which is what we had booked. They rebooked us for the connecting llight in YEG. I guess I must have gotten a really good deal on the original flight, because to rebook different flights with one connection is going to cost me 50% more than what I originally paid. We have an extra day built into our schedule so if something does happen, we should be OK. We are flying on Thursday and our cruise does not embark until Saturday.

46 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

YEG is a pretty small airport.  Your bags will be checked through to YVR so you don’t need to claim checked luggage.  Edmonton uses the electronic scanner kiosks for Customs & Immigration (CBSA) so it’s a pretty quick process.

I would feel quite comfortable with a 90 minute connection.

Thanks Miss G. I was looking at the YEG airport site and it is very small compared to ATL which is which is our home airport. We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. If things do go awry we'll be OK since we have an extra day built into our schedule "just in case".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richart said:

Thanks Miss G. I was looking at the YEG airport site and it is very small compared to ATL which is which is our home airport. We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. If things do go awry we'll be OK since we have an extra day built into our schedule "just in case".

Pretty much anything is smaller than ATL, which, IIRC is the busiest airport in the world many years running.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hijacking this thread. If I fly DFW to YYZ to AMS on a single ticket with Canada air what is the procedure at Toronto.  Do I need to claim my luggage and proceed through customs or is the luggage forwarded and I go through customs without luggage?  Thank you 

46 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Hijacking this thread. If I fly DFW to YYZ to AMS on a single ticket with Canada air what is the procedure at Toronto.  Do I need to claim my luggage and proceed through customs or is the luggage forwarded and I go through customs without luggage?  Thank you 

No, you don't claim your bags...you are in transit. When you come off the plane in YYZ, you will select the "In Transit" path (as opposed to clearing Immigration and Customs into Canada). You will go to a set of machines, inserting your passport. If you are approved, you get a printed receipt, and you stay in the "in transit" area, which includes a Maple Leaf Lounge, if you are eligible.

No Customs for "in transit", but an Immigration procedure.

• Thanks 1