Need advice on Galveston embarkation day plans

luvseaside

First time cruising from Galveston (leaving on Regal Princess February 2024).  We have a flight arriving in HOU @ 7:50 a.m. on the morning of the (Sunday) cruise (I know, I know...but it's a 6:15 a.m. first flight out, nonstop with a 99% on-time arrival so we feel confident doing this.  Even if it's delayed, very good chance we'd still make it to ship with time to spare).  Anyhoo, if everything goes to chalk, we're thinking of getting an Uber from HOU to Port, which should put us at cruise terminal @ 9:30-9:45 a.m.  Could we, at that point, get porters to take our larger bags, and then leave terminal with carryon and walk around the Strand for a couple of hours - maybe grab some brunch?  How early do they take luggage?   I hate just standing around and waiting at the terminal if not necessary.  And frankly, with the limited drinks onboard and no beverage pkg available, why would we rush to get on the ship before 1 p.m.?  That way we'd also get to spend some time in Galveston since we're not doing overnight stay.  

As far as disembarkation, I think we've resigned ourselves to doing the Princess transfer back to HOU and spend 6 hours at the airport.  But I did wonder about storing luggage at the Cruise Stop store for a couple of hours and grab an Uber to HOU @ noon since our flight doesn't depart until 4:25 p.m.  Any thoughts/suggestions on that?

I also have a February cruise on the Regal.  Remember the first two weekends are Mardi Gras in Galveston . I have no idea how that effects cruise port traffic. But I think even on Sundays there are some parades in the Strand area and roads closed. The Princess ride back to the airport might be a good idea if it is a Mardi Gras day, as the Ubers will be very busy. If anyone has cruised in Galveston during Mardi Gras, please chime in.

5 hours ago, luvseaside said:

we're thinking of getting an Uber from HOU to Port, which should put us at cruise terminal @ 9:30-9:45 a.m.  Could we, at that point, get porters to take our larger bags, and then leave terminal with carryon and walk around the Strand for a couple

We disembarked from the Regal in Galveston, on 11/19/23 at approximately 9AM (took an hour to get from the ship through customs.)  There were approximately 30 people already waiting in line to board the ship.  I did not see any luggage with them other than carry-ons, so I assume they had dropped their luggage with the porters.  If the weather is good when you arrive, I think your plan is doable.  Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for feedback.  Forgot about Mardi Gras!  We are cruising the week between those dates, and it appears that you have to buy a ticket to access the Strand/parade area; so that's likely a no-go for either day.  Well darn.

Edited by luvseaside

You will probably be leaving, when I am boarding.  We are staying the night before and was hoping to tour Galveston but it looks like they block streets including the seawall. Going to have to play it by ear. The Mardi Gras web site says Galveston will have 350,000 people visit for the parades.

14th , 33rd and Harborside, the main routes used by  cruising folks are not used by Mardi Gras crowds . Besides those routes are mandatory OPEN for the main emergency vehicular  routes for hospital emergency room care .  And the parades are later than the times , most of you want on ships first .  Don't let Mardi Gras discourage you .  Proceed as usual . 

Edited by ssb
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ssb said:

14th , 33rd and Harborside, the main routes used by  cruising folks are not used by Mardi Gras crowds . Besides those routes are mandatory OPEN for the main emergency vehicular  routes for hospital emergency room care .  And the parades are later than the times , most of you want on ships first .  Don't let Mardi Gras discourage you .  Proceed as usual . 

Would these road closures mean more traffic on those roads used by the cruising public?

Impacts on hotel prices and restaurant availability?

How about Uber availability and pricing?

I'm just glad I've already booked a private car transfer.  

Edited by RocketMan275

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

True, but could have a significant impact on hotel prices and restaurant availability.

That's all relative to affordability.  And booking everything smart and early as you did .

Edited by ssb

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Would these road closures mean more traffic on those roads used by the cruising public?

Impacts on hotel prices and restaurant availability?

How about Uber availability and pricing?

No to road closures  .

That's all relative to affordability.  And booking everything smart and early as you did .

Ubers could be affected but probably not 

Glad you have  booked everything smart and early as you did .

Edited by ssb

21 minutes ago, ssb said:

No to road closures  .

Ubers could be affected but probably not 

Glad you have  booked everything smart and early as you did .

I believe in booking early.

Booked my airfare to IAH back in June.

Price tripled since booking.

Room at the IAH Marriott so no price change there.

I've got a cruise booked for 2025. 

Up 25% in price since booking.

Edited by RocketMan275

19 hours ago, ssb said:

Thanks for the insight.  

You are definitely a good source of information about Galveston. I will be there the Saturday night of the main parade. Any tips for watching the parade. We are not interested in paying and watching in the entertainment fenced area (those days are gone). I am hoping to just park somewhere  and sit in lounge chairs along a residential street (25th) on the parade route from the seawall to Strand or something like that. Is that possible and any advice or experience.  What do you think the restaurants will be like that weekend

Yes the motel prices are up the weekend we are there. The Tremont hotel wants $705.00 per night and the San Luis resort wants $469.00.

I could not private , so sorry if a may be getting off the original question.

46 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

You are definitely a good source of information about Galveston. I will be there the Saturday night of the main parade. Any tips for watching the parade. We are not interested in paying and watching in the entertainment fenced area (those days are gone). I am hoping to just park somewhere  and sit in lounge chairs along a residential street (25th) on the parade route from the seawall to Strand or something like that. Is that possible and any advice or experience.  What do you think the restaurants will be like that weekend

Yes the motel prices are up the weekend we are there. The Tremont hotel wants $705.00 per night and the San Luis resort wants $469.00.

I could not private , so sorry if a may be getting off the original question.

Which weekend of Mardi Gras are you in Galveston ?

18 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

Have you tried watching the main  parade  between the Seawall and The Strand area.

yes from on 25th street and this is a the biggest and bestest and lengthy parade . Lots of viewing parties from homes on 25th . Lots of public viewing from 25th also . 

Edited by ssb

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't worry about that.  Cruise Critic has disabled the private message function.  A long time ago.

Regarding the Cruise Critic message board Message feature, it is available for use by Administrators & Hosts ONLY. We can use it with each other and to members. If one of us contacts a member via the feature, the member cannot reply back.

The Message feature is disabled for members and has been I think since Cruise Critic was part of AOL over twenty-five years ago. I do know for sure it was that way when I joined Cruise Critic in 2005.

However in the olden days when the Cruise Critic message board used vBulletin software, if you and another member had your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and placed the info in your Cruise Critic profiles, you would then be able to contact each other via those networks. Waaaay back then you could click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Profile and then scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. There you would see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

• ICQ Number 
  • AIM Screen Name 
  • MSN Messenger Handle 
  • Yahoo! Messenger Handle 
  • Skype Name

Once you entered your registered identity info of one of those networks and clicked the Save Changes button back then, your instant messaging network logo would then appear in all your Cruise Critic posts with your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messaging network would be able to click the logos appearing on Cruise Critic posts to contact each other via the network.

However, those days are loooong gone now that Invision Community software has been used by the Cruise Critic message board since October 2018.

Hope this information (and a little history lesson from down Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you for the background.  But many want to know why that feature isn't available for all.

Asking on the boards does no good as it will not be seen by LauraS, Senior Manager, Community. Please note the following from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

"... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com ..."

Please send your email with your questions/comments/feedback to LauraS, Senior Manager, Community at community@cruisecritic.com.  Also, please send the email from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. 

Hope this information will be helpful.

Host Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:21 AM, luvseaside said:

First time cruising from Galveston (leaving on Regal Princess February 2024).  We have a flight arriving in HOU @ 7:50 a.m. on the morning of the (Sunday) cruise (I know, I know...but it's a 6:15 a.m. first flight out, nonstop with a 99% on-time arrival so we feel confident doing this.  Even if it's delayed, very good chance we'd still make it to ship with time to spare).  Anyhoo, if everything goes to chalk, we're thinking of getting an Uber from HOU to Port, which should put us at cruise terminal @ 9:30-9:45 a.m.  Could we, at that point, get porters to take our larger bags, and then leave terminal with carryon and walk around the Strand for a couple of hours - maybe grab some brunch?  How early do they take luggage?   I hate just standing around and waiting at the terminal if not necessary.  And frankly, with the limited drinks onboard and no beverage pkg available, why would we rush to get on the ship before 1 p.m.?  That way we'd also get to spend some time in Galveston since we're not doing overnight stay.  

As far as disembarkation, I think we've resigned ourselves to doing the Princess transfer back to HOU and spend 6 hours at the airport.  But I did wonder about storing luggage at the Cruise Stop store for a couple of hours and grab an Uber to HOU @ noon since our flight doesn't depart until 4:25 p.m.  Any thoughts/suggestions on that?

Well , back to your original question.  I personally would take the Princess transfer back to the airport. Nothing worse than having to worry about getting to your gate on time.  And you never know about even the normal traffic jams. That is just me