A Taste of Royal

twonpcb

Does anyone have any opinion on this specialty dining event?  We don’t usually do specialty dining per se but I thought this would be a good way to get a little sampling of the different dining options onboard. 

Thoughts?

I know that food is very subjective… with that said; A Taste of Royal was our least favorite meal on our last cruise.   The Tuna tartare was my favorite part of the meal.  The Risotto was basically tasteless.  The Filet was OK, but both Chops snd Giovanni’s Table were both better.  The Spicy Shrimp were breaded, OK, but not great.   The dessert tasted it came from Costco.  Again, food is very subjective, but I would not do it again.

Keep in mind that the menu does not change.  We enjoyed it the first time on the Allure and popped for the extra cost wine pairing.  Booked it again on the Voyager in September, exact same menu. 

Our party really enjoyed it the first time.  It was nice the second time as we were with travel mates that had not experienced it before.  Would not consider a 3rd time.

It is a sample of Royal's offerings across the line, NOT just the restaurants on the ship you're on. 

From the sample menu:

Cocktail from Hooked

Starter from Wonderland

App from Giovanni's Table

Main from Chops

Desert from 150 Central Park

Did it once, and enjoyed it, but since it never (rarely?) changes, wouldn't do it again.

Probably would make a difference on which ship you were sailing.  We did it, not sure which ship but not Symphony, and would not pay again.  The food just did not seem to be as tasty as the specialty restaurants, and we did not have anything from Hooked (that is how I know it was not Symphony.  

7 hours ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

We’ve done it several times.  I have a seafood allergy so they give me something a little different.  It’s great to me.

When did you notify them of your seafood allergy?  I don't have a seafood allergy, but I don't eat raw fish.  The tuna tartare from Wonderland was totally wasted on me.  If they don't have a substitute, I will ask them not to bring it to me in the future.  

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

When did you notify them of your seafood allergy?  I don't have a seafood allergy, but I don't eat raw fish.  The tuna tartare from Wonderland was totally wasted on me.  If they don't have a substitute, I will ask them not to bring it to me in the future.  

When we were being seated we were asked about food allergies.  I told them I had a seafood allergy and they explained how my menu would be different.  I got a mozzarella salad in place of the tuna tartare and I had risotto without crab.  There was no shrimp on my steak.

• Thanks 1