best option from Port Everglades to MIA Airport for 9pm flight

bradcrc

What's the best option for returning to Miami Airport from Port Everglades when we have a ton of time to waste? 

I'm thinking we'll take a shuttle to FLL airport from the port,  then the shuttle to tri-rail,   tri-rail to MIA, and then just hang out there for a lot of hours.

Looking for any ideas or suggestions from more experienced people  for alternatives.

Taking a ship' excursion to the airport is an easily implemented solution to do something more exciting than sitting in the airport for a few hours (and a good use of excursion credit if you have some).

ResortPass.com will connect you to hotels/resorts offering day passes to their beach/pool/spa facilities - tip them to store your bags while you swim, relax and grab lunch and drinks.  Then head to MIA in time for your flight. 

The idea of hanging around any airport for 10-12 hours before my flight is frightening. 😢

Rent a vehicle for the minimum twenty four hour time period from FLL. Store your luggage in the rental vehicle and decide what you want to do for the rest of the day. I would spend the day at either Fort Lauderdale Beach or Hollywood Beach. Last location would be South Beach in Miami Beach. For a 9:00PM flight from MIA I would return the rental at the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center around 6:00PM and take the free shuttle over to MIA.

There is no shuttle from the port to FLL.  You will need a taxi or uber, and if you go with one of those you might as well take it clear to the TriRail station.  If you haven't ridden TriRail for awhile, the very last stop is MIA, you get off, up the escalator, follow signs to the shuttle train to the MIA terminals.  Easy.

We have a similar challenge with a 9:30 pm flight.  Ship offers 2 tours (swamps or HOHO bus) but still arrive at MIA early afternoon.  

Our current plan is to get a day room in a hotel on South Beach until about 5pm the taxi to MIA.

Out holiday "package" includes transfer to MIA from ship - tht is likely to be at 9am.  So we may take the transfer to MIA then taxi to day hotel.

Im interested in others' views on your question.