On HAL with Covid

euro cruiser

We are five days into a two-week Atlantic crossing on the Nieuw Statendam.  Yesterday I had a slightly runny nose, this morning it was a bit worse so I went to the medical center to see about a Covid test.

As background, I should note that on another Atlantic crossing this past April (2023) on the Rotterdam my roommate had similar symptoms and she also went to the medical center.  She was administered a test by the medical center staff which came back positive, so they also gave me one, which did not.  Neither of us were charged for these tests.  She was confined to the cabin for five days while I was allowed to come and go at will, even though my roommate was sick.  They never asked to test me a second time to see if I developed it later.  Fortunately, I did not.

So I was a bit taken aback this morning when I asked to be tested and they handed me a self-test, then charged me $38 for it.  No one asked me to report back the results, no one has called to check on me, and I was not asked nor told to stay in my cabin.

I doubt that they allow each ship's medical staff to decide their own protocols, so I'm assuming they have changed throughout the line.

Therefore, I advise anyone heading off to bring a couple of your own tests with you as well as some masks.  Even if you have to buy them at CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid it will be a lot cheaper than buying one from HAL.  

I'm hunkered down in my cabin, held here only by my own conscience.  I'm trying to think positively and assume that I was infected by someone who didn't know they had Covid, rather than by some selfish (fill in the blank with your preferred descriptive noun) who figured if HAL didn't care, neither would they.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 11

Good for you for being a responsible adult AND sorry about contracting Covid. I hope you have a balcony so you can watch the sea go by. I also hope it stays a slightly runny nose.

Get well and enjoy the rest of your cruise as best you can.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hope you are feeling better soon!

My wife and I cruised throughout the pandemic (when ships were allowed to sail). We decided to always wear our mask whenever around people, sit at table for two and sanitize our hands frequently. We bring spare test kits and include them on our packing check list.  We use the KF94 mask which is more breathable and comfortable and for the ladies come in fashion colors and can be purchased in lots of 50 (if you need).  Most of all - It has become a way of life and thus we can still enjoy ourselves i.e. dancing, going to shows and interacting with others we meet.  I don't think it makes us look odd as we continue to meet new friends. We cruise about 8X a year (mostly HAL, Celebrity, Carnival & MSC)

• Like 5

A bonus of COVID+ you get to exit the ship first. HAL also put Future Cruise Credit on our books. Anyone reading this don’t underestimate COVID and wash-wash-wash your hands, use-use-use the alcohol gel, keep your distance from people, and face-masks are fairly normal on-board just to keep your fingers away from your face. Enjoy the in-room movies and hope you recover before next cruise. image.png.4280c2c228fc1ffa00c55eb4784203d9.png

• Like 1

I guess it is a sign of the times, that Covid is now considered "normal", but in a confined space like a cruise ship I would suggest that slightly more restrictive protocols might be appropriate.

Since I'm traveling alone I decided to try my first inside cabin for this trip.  The upside is that whenever I shut the door, it's dark in here so sleeping comes easily.

SanDiegian, as no one from HAL actually cares whether or not I have Covid, I won't be enjoying any benefits I'm afraid.

I was vaccinated a week before I left for Europe so I actually feel fine, just a stuffy nose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

So I was a bit taken aback this morning when I asked to be tested and they handed me a self-test, then charged me $38 for it.  No one asked me to report back the results, no one has called to check on me, and I was not asked nor told to stay in my cabin.

Suggest that you report the diagnosis ASAP, since you intend to self-isolate. They charge you $38. You collect a $1k in FCC.

• Like 4

Wow, things have changed!  When we were on the Rotterdam just back in October, a couple of roll call members tested themselves (they brought their own tests) and when they were positive, reported to the front desk (by phone).

Medical came and administered the “good” (PCR) test (no charge) and they were isolated to their cabin.  They were treated very well - ordered from any restaurant on the ship.  The crew were still in hazmat type suits when they served them.

I’m sorry you are in this situation and hope that you recover quickly 🤞. I am surprised at the change so soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the Eurodam in October I had congestion and a bad cough so went to medical.  They did the Antigen test and it was negative and gave me meds.  3 days later still coughing so went back - they did a PCR test and I was positive.  I was confined to cabin that evening, and the next day. They came to the cabin the morning of the following day with the Antigen test and I was negative so I was free to go.  I was charge $38 for one test and also received $168 FCC.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

also received $168 FCC

Why does/did HAL give you FCC/$$$ if you are sick?

Is that only if it is the "special" banner of Covid?  What about folks that get the flu, Montezuma's revenge, break their foot, etc.....Do they hand out $$$ for that too?

Not understanding compensation for Covid or is it anytime you are confined to your stateroom?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Why does/did HAL give you FCC/$$$ if you are sick?

Is that only if it is the "special" banner of Covid?  What about folks that get the flu, Montezuma's revenge, break their foot, etc.....Do they hand out $$$ for that too?

Not understanding compensation for Covid or is it anytime you are confined to your stateroom?

It was because I was confined to my cabin for about 40 hours when the Covid test showed positive.  I think this was a follow on from the policy that they put in place after the pause to get guests back on the ships.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

At home I would agree, I probably wouldn't have bothered testing unless I was going somewhere that would require a lot of interaction with others.  On a ship, however, I felt that even a runny nose ought be to checked, out of respect for my fellow passengers.  I would want them to show me the same consideration.

I commend you and do the same.  I take rapid tests with me and if I have any symptoms that cause concern or feel unwell, I do test.  I believe in protecting others.

It probably comes from going to the hospital for 6 months for my DD DH and the need to protect him, the health workers and people in my bubble (as covid was rampant in the hospital).

It only takes a minute to test.  Thank you for thinking of others.

• Like 12

I carry test kits with me and before covid was an issue, I stayed in my cabin if I had a bad cold since I did not want to spread it around. Just me, but I see no reason to share with others. And now I will test for covid if I get the sniffles... for everyone's peace of mind. How many times in the past have we  complained about the person near us hacking away.

Susan

• Like 10

OP, I am sorry that you tested positive and hoping that it remains a minor irritant for you.

Interestingly, I just did a quick search of HAL's website and noticed that the banner across the top with the health protocols is no longer available.  A search of COVID returned an article from 2022 detailing HAL's protocols then and a reference to the Travel Well document for more information.  The Travel Well document is missing from the website.  I don't know what this means from a passenger and HAL perspective.  After leaving our Alaska cruise in May and testing positive we made a lot of different changes for our Nov cruise and we luckily returned illness free.  Perhaps the precautions we took helped or perhaps it was just the luck of the draw, I will never know.  I do believe though that we have to rely on ourselves to put in place the precautions that we feel are needed for us.  I witnessed things on both cruises that surprised me from a sanitation, cross contamination and viral risk perspective.

Best of luck and take care of yourself.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

You collect a $1k in FCC.

Where do you get this?  They used to divide your cruise base fare by number of days, then give you a prorated amount back as FCC based on how many days you were isolated.  Sounds like protocols have changed.  Maybe they don't even do that anymore.

4 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Where do you get this?  They used to divide your cruise base fare by number of days, then give you a prorated amount back as FCC based on how many days you were isolated.  Sounds like protocols have changed.  Maybe they don't even do that anymore.

5 days at $200/day single occupany inside cabin.

• Thanks 1

I believe we're on the same trip. Left Rome Nov 26, arriving FLL Dec 10.

There doesn't seem to be an excessive number of sick people out in Gen Pop, but in any given spot, I do see/hear people coughing and sneezing. The excursion buses were especially "coughy." With that said, I try to do my part to protect myself and others and hope for others to reciprocate; it's really all we can do.

Thanks, @euro cruiserfor being among those and sorry you are not able to fully enjoy the cruise. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 2

I just thought of what HAL really ought to offer if the goal is to keep sick people in their cabins and not out infecting everyone else, free internet.  Given how much time so many of us spend with our faces in our phones, there must be interesting stuff out there that everyone is looking at, so give us access!

I had already paid for the basic internet package, so I've played dozens of games of Canasta online, but the high-speed access that allows for video viewing would be nice.  Maybe they could toss that my way as an incentive to be/do good?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

There doesn't seem to be an excessive number of sick people out in Gen Pop, but in any given spot, I do see/hear people coughing and sneezing. The excursion buses were especially "coughy." With that said, I try to do my part to protect myself and others and hope for others to reciprocate; it's really all we can do.

Thanks, @euro cruiserfor being among those and sorry you are not able to fully enjoy the cruise. Hope you feel better soon.

This may also explain some of the service issues you have experienced as crew may also be out with the virus.  Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I don’t like hearing people coughing around me, but that might just be because it sounds so awful. (And because no one seems to cover their mouths anymore!) But I wouldn’t necessarily characterise a cough as a prime symptom of Covid. FWIW, the one time I’ve had Covid, I didn’t cough at all. Nor did my DH.  I had a sore throat for a day, then a bad headache for a few days, and I was really, really tired. DH had no symptoms, but did test positive. We were at home, so just stayed in until we tested negative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1