On HAL with Covid

euro cruiser

On a far less serious note, I can report that the longest axis in my cabin is nine steps, starting with my butt against the door and ending with a near face plant against the opposite wall.  I lost count of how many times I did it, it's like swimming laps in a kiddie pool.  Two stokes, turn.  Two strokes, turn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

37 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

On a far less serious note, I can report that the longest axis in my cabin is nine steps, starting with my butt against the door and ending with a near face plant against the opposite wall.  I lost count of how many times I did it, it's like swimming laps in a kiddie pool.  Two stokes, turn.  Two strokes, turn.

Is it a full cruise?  If not, ask to be moved to a balcony cabin.  You are living my worst fear with COVID in an inside cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I've discovered is that there are no rules anymore, just those imposed by your own conscience.  I'm staying put until I'm no longer a danger to anyone else.  The greatest cost appears to be my sanity, but that should come back .....

I still have plenty of reading material and a whole menu of semi-old movies to work my way through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

What I've discovered is that there are no rules anymore, just those imposed by your own conscience.  I'm staying put until I'm no longer a danger to anyone else.  The greatest cost appears to be my sanity, but that should come back .....

I still have plenty of reading material and a whole menu of semi-old movies to work my way through.

Please call the front desk and inquire about a move.  There is no reason not to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I was in covid isolation in a verandah on the Westerdam last fall. It was 35 steps RT from the balcony door to the cabin door, around the bed and the coffee table. It takes a lot to make a mile! The killer was doing "stairs" in the doorway to the bathroom. I'm not sure it did any good, but it helped to pass the time. I also read Cabin Fever while in isolation, but later wrote in my blog a pro tip that it might not be a good idea to read about a deadly covid outbreak on a HAL ship while you actually have covid.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it is now just considered a flu. Feel better and recover quickly!

Edited by WriterOnDeck
  • Like 1

On the Koningsdam last month, my wife and I both came down with a respiratory infection the day before we disembarked in San Diego. We had a couple of Covid tests with us and self-tested both negative. When we got home for the next week we both suffered with more severe cold symptoms and self tested a couple of times all negative, It took us almost 3 weeks to be symptom free and we both thought this was far worse than the Covid we both got in 2022 on the Oosterdam. I have been reading many reports on CC and FB about passengers getting a more severe respiratory virus that is not testing as Covid. I have also read that Norovirus is now showing up on many cruise ships too, we had a lot of it on our September Celebrity Apex cruise, much more than reported Covid cases. My point is Covid is not the only viral infections going around currently on cruise ships.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

On the Koningsdam last month, my wife and I both came down with a respiratory infection the day before we disembarked in San Diego. We had a couple of Covid tests with us and self-tested both negative. When we got home for the next week we both suffered with more severe cold symptoms and self tested a couple of times all negative, It took us almost 3 weeks to be symptom free and we both thought this was far worse than the Covid we both got in 2022 on the Oosterdam. I have been reading many reports on CC and FB about passengers getting a more severe respiratory virus that is not testing as Covid. I have also read that Norovirus is now showing up on many cruise ships too, we had a lot of it on our September Celebrity Apex cruise, much more than reported Covid cases. My point is Covid is not the only viral infections going around currently on cruise ships.

I had the same thing at the end of the Zaandam Panama Canal cruise in January. Took me a few months to stop coughing. It wasn’t Covid, but they didn’t do any further testing to tell me what it was. I tried not to cough on the plane ride home, which probably made it worse. It was an awful 1.5 hr drive home from the airport 😣. I never had Covid that I know of, so I can’t compare, but maybe it was RSV. I’d like to get that vaccine if it ever shows up in my area. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I had the same thing at the end of the Zaandam Panama Canal cruise in January. Took me a few months to stop coughing. It wasn’t Covid, but they didn’t do any further testing to tell me what it was. I tried not to cough on the plane ride home, which probably made it worse. It was an awful 1.5 hr drive home from the airport 😣. I never had Covid that I know of, so I can’t compare, but maybe it was RSV. I’d like to get that vaccine if it ever shows up in my area. 

We forgot to take any Robitussin cough medicine with us on the cruise and none was available on the K'Dam in the ship store. Fortunately they did have Ricola cough drops which worked well enough. By the end of our 7-day cruise there were many people with coughs.