Entry fee

trtog7

Found a website that says there is an entry fee of $85 to Columbia.

Anyone have any knowledge of this fee. We will beon a cruise stopping at Columbia dor about 5 hours. Feels like a hefty fee for that short time

16 hours ago, MacMadame said:

It should be covered by the "Port Fees" we pay as part of the cruise price.

It's a new fee on Canadian's only. Just came into effect on Nov.14/23.

MSC's response: "Please check with your travel advisor, government agency, Embassy or Consulate etc."

Haven't found any clarity form either government website.

I agree with OP that $85pp is more than we are willing to pay for look around Cartegena for a few hours.

Perhaps if someone has already been to Colombia on a port stop could tell us if there are formal customs & immigration or if it's like entering Jamaica or Mexico from a cruise ship with no passport required; just your cruise card.

Is this a fee we have to pay even if we do not get off the boat? Most countries want you to have a Visa even if you stay on the boat be cause you are in their waters.

Need to do this no earlier than 72 hours before we arrive in Columbia. At that time, we will be in Fort Lauderdale and I would rather not put my credit card out through hotel wifi

5 hours ago, trtog7 said:

Is this a fee we have to pay even if we do not get off the boat? Most countries want you to have a Visa even if you stay on the boat be cause you are in their waters.

Need to do this no earlier than 72 hours before we arrive in Columbia. At that time, we will be in Fort Lauderdale and I would rather not put my credit card out through hotel wifi

Canadians don't need a visa to enter Colombia.

The electronic immigration form on the travel.gc.ca website only works for Air travel, so no idea if there is something else that needs to be filled out.

Has your cruiseline been able to give you any further information? I used an American travel agency and they aren't familiar with Canadian issues.

As this will only affect a very small percentage of the ship's passengers, I don't see it as being an added cruiseline fee. Especially, when/if the cruiseline hasn't any useful information as to what or if the new fee will pretain to it's passengers. This may change in the less than 2 weeks to sailing once they all figure out how and when they will be charging tourists.

I still haven't been able to find any information on whether it will be even a real thing on a cruise port stop of a few hours. 

Edited by juraspark
added comment

38 minutes ago, VintageCheap said:

Not for US cruise passengers this week we were aware of. 

Colombia recently imposed a $256,000 pesos entry fee on Canadians entering via Aviation, Maritime & Land. The Check-Mig form that is required of Canadians to enter the country and accompanies this fee does not at this time allow the selection of any entry other than Air although it shows other methods by are not selectable. Neither US, nor Canadian citizens require a Visa for short term visits.

trtog7 & I are looking for information on how this is going to affect us entering by cruise ship. Can't seem to find any information on whether we need to find a way to apply for this form and make a payment prior to boarding ships or if it would be imposed upon arrival or if it won't apply to cruise ship passengers only visiting for a few hours.

My suggestion to any fellow Canadian passport holders is to NOT apply for the Check-mig except through the Canadian or Colombian government websites. There are other sites that will take your money to do this. My opinion (for what it's worth) is that if you can't apply and pay through either government's website, then you should not be doing it. Do NOT give your passport and personal information to a site offering you a form for pay; that you can't get from a government that would be the one requiring it.

As of this morning, it can NOT be done by either site, as I have tried.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

it is  an ENTRY TAX    payable upon arrival in Columbia

according to the  Government site

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/colombia#entryexit

hopefully cruise Pax  will be  exempt  but who knows

Yes it is clear that they are imposing any entry tax on Canadians. It is also clear on the travel.gc.ca site that a check mig form is required. What isn't clear is how to fill out a check mig if the only information it accepts is if you are entering by Air. The other 3 choices do NOT work. I have tried many times to see if they are updated and as of 2 minutes ago, they are not.

OP said his cruise line HAL; advised that there is no form or fee but that could change at any time.

I could care less if Colombia wishes to impose an $85 fee to enter their country; along with an electronic form. I DO care it doesn't interfere with our being able to board the ship and have the choice of paying and getting off in port or foregoing and staying aboard if we haven't filled out the form or do not wish to pay the fee. I'd just like my paperwork in order and clear indication of what is required of us.

What I would appreciate is any Canadian Passport holder who has traveled to Colombia via cruiseship since November 14, 2023 posting what their entry/exit experience was.

per travel.gc.ca website

You must complete a free electronic immigration form (Check-Mig) within 72 hours to 1 hour before:

• boarding a flight to or from Colombia
  • entering into Colombia via land, maritime or river crossings 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 12:59 AM, Oceans 818 said:

No extra fees imposed on Canadian travelers arriving by cruise ship as of December 21,2023. No additional forms to fill out either.

We were 8n Cartagena yesterday, December 26, on Emerald Princess and no entry fee process in place for Canadians.