Text and Calling Onboard

pete_coach

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

How would texting work?

Do you have WiFi texting with your carrier?  The same way as that.  Apple's messaging app will work over data, if it's using the iMessage protocol (or whatever they call it now), but if you're sending an SMS you need to be sure that WiFi texting is enabled.

On 12/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, pete_coach said:

You say a lot but, say nothing. You too say some are right or wrong or not worth reading.

Hence disparate information.

oh my, such a sweet talker you are!

On 12/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, pete_coach said:

My question basically, no to the point is, what is the deal. Do I pay $9.95 or use wifi and/or turn on airplane mode and am OK to text my friends?

Someone onboard or recently off that can give step by step explanations?

you've been given all the answers you need in this thread. in the first few posts. and you've been given step by step instructions. you've chosen to overcomplicate things and ignore the clearly stated answers laid out before you. and you are conflating "internet" with the ship's wifi. they are two related things, but they are not the same thing. the app does not connect to the internet, unless it is accessing NCL data on its website, in which case, it's accessing it at n charge to you because that domain has been whitelisted. if you don't understand the concept of an intranet, you're unlikely to be able to understand from your anonymous online friends here in the forum how to text while onboard. you're best bet is to wait till you're onboard and explain what you want to do to the friendly internet manager. he or she will hook you up.

if you have android phones and you wish to text while at sea, yes, both of you will need to pay $9.95 and use the clunky app. where are your friends located? are they on the ship? if so, text away, provided they also are using the app and forking over $9.95. if they are located off the ship, you will not be able to text them while at sea, regardless of what operating system they have because you are on an android phone and the backend loophole you speak so fondly of does not apply to you or your phone.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hallux said:

Do you have WiFi texting with your carrier?  The same way as that.  Apple's messaging app will work over data, if it's using the iMessage protocol (or whatever they call it now), but if you're sending an SMS you need to be sure that WiFi texting is enabled.

It seems silly to say so, but I'm not sure what you mean by wifi texting with my carrier.

Personally, I have only used ordinary cell based texting (I'm a light user).

My DW uses Messenger (not sure if that's from Apple or Facebook) and also WhatsApp.

My feeling is that we 've got this covered. I'm checking to clear up the terminology and whose app is what (no pun intended).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

but I'm not sure what you mean by wifi texting with my carrier.

I believe if you enable WiFi calling it also enables WiFi texting, it allows you to text while connected to WiFi if there's a weak cell signal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

oh my, such a sweet talker you are!

you've been given all the answers you need in this thread. in the first few posts. and you've been given step by step instructions. you've chosen to overcomplicate things and ignore the clearly stated answers laid out before you. and you are conflating "internet" with the ship's wifi. they are two related things, but they are not the same thing. the app does not connect to the internet, unless it is accessing NCL data on its website, in which case, it's accessing it at n charge to you because that domain has been whitelisted. if you don't understand the concept of an intranet, you're unlikely to be able to understand from your anonymous online friends here in the forum how to text while onboard. you're best bet is to wait till you're onboard and explain what you want to do to the friendly internet manager. he or she will hook you up.

if you have android phones and you wish to text while at sea, yes, both of you will need to pay $9.95 and use the clunky app. where are your friends located? are they on the ship? if so, text away, provided they also are using the app and forking over $9.95. if they are located off the ship, you will not be able to text them while at sea, regardless of what operating system they have because you are on an android phone and the backend loophole you speak so fondly of does not apply to you or your phone.

You post to belittle??

My question and subsequent questions were for clarification for me and others appreciated the clarifications. By the posted comments, others had the same questions and were also confused.

I am glad you know it all. 😃

Edited by pete_coach

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

I believe if you enable WiFi calling it also enables WiFi texting, it allows you to text while connected to WiFi if there's a weak cell signal.

Okay.

Again, while I myself have not used this feature, I'm pretty sure that we can do this.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

It seems silly to say so, but I'm not sure what you mean by wifi texting with my carrier.

Personally, I have only used ordinary cell based texting (I'm a light user).

My DW uses Messenger (not sure if that's from Apple or Facebook) and also WhatsApp.

My feeling is that we 've got this covered. I'm checking to clear up the terminology and whose app is what (no pun intended).

"messenger" is the default application on iphones for texting. If you have an iphone, there is built in internet messaging called "imessages". These messages only work iphone to iphone. If you need to text iphone to android, you would need sms to use the regular messenger app. You can also communicate with other various apps that have messenger features like facebook, whatsapp, etc. To do those you would download the app and create an account. 

You can call over wifi if you enable that in the settings. It's under "cellular". Then turn wifi calling on.

So, if you enable wifi calling, while connected to wifi, voice calls on your phone will work exactly the way it does at home

If you are connected to wifi, you phone will send/receive text messages from other iphones like it does at home.

The only thing that you would have to do something different for, is if you wanted to text an android phone.

Edited by sanger727

25 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

"messenger" is the default application on iphones for texting

Actually, the app is named "Messages", not Messenger, just for clarity sake.  Messenger is the DM app for a social media site.

21 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

"messenger" is the default application on iphones for texting. If you have an iphone, there is built in internet messaging called "imessages". These messages only work iphone to iphone. If you need to text iphone to android, you would need sms to use the regular messenger app. You can also communicate with other various apps that have messenger features like facebook, whatsapp, etc. To do those you would download the app and create an account. 

You can call over wifi if you enable that in the settings. It's under "cellular". Then turn wifi calling on.

So, if you enable wifi calling, while connected to wifi, voice calls on your phone will work exactly the way it does at home

If you are connected to wifi, you phone will send/receive text messages from other iphones like it does at home.

The only thing that you would have to do something different for, is if you wanted to text an android phone.

Wow - your information is great; clearly written & jargon free.

I only need to use this with iphones, so the android option are not currently of concern.

So, you're saying that if wifi calling is switched on, voice calls will work onboard, right?

Only problem remaining is that I can't find the imessenger app. I just googled  for location assistance and nothing works. I don't see any option other than for SMS.

I know my DW is using it; I'll have her find it for me when she gets home this afternoon.

Thanks for your great response.  👍

27 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Wow - your information is great; clearly written & jargon free.

I only need to use this with iphones, so the android option are not currently of concern.

So, you're saying that if wifi calling is switched on, voice calls will work onboard, right?

Only problem remaining is that I can't find the imessenger app. I just googled  for location assistance and nothing works. I don't see any option other than for SMS.

I know my DW is using it; I'll have her find it for me when she gets home this afternoon.

Thanks for your great response.  👍

That app you use for sms texting is the correct app. It will use the wifi connection to text between iphones. It does this all the time when you are at home, uses data instead of sms, you just wouldn't notice. 

54 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

That app you use for sms texting is the correct app. It will use the wifi connection to text between iphones. It does this all the time when you are at home, uses data instead of sms, you just wouldn't notice. 

Great to know.

As it happens, the wifi calling is switched off (never been on). For the ship, it will be on, of course.

I don't always have the wifi enabled. As I recall, that may cause some issues of conflict during "normal" service. I only it on when I know it's needed. Obviously, on board it's needed.

Thanks again - your info is great.

Maybe this is just an issue with the Viva or going trans atlantic, but on our recent trip we were told by the Internet person on the ship that the messaging feature would not work and to not waste our money on the 9.95 feature.

I was able to text family back home but could not text my husband on the ship, even though we both have Iphones.  

• Like 1

In my group of 4, we have  3 iphone users and 1 android (me). We are all AT&T customers and I noticed that AT&T has a special add on feature for people on cruises. Has anyone used that? And does it work just as if you were on land? Or does it work through Starlink? I've looked at it and don't really understand how it works...do we need the ships wifi?  We all have FAS, but I may upgrade mine to FAS+. 

1 hour ago, olemissreb said:

In my group of 4, we have  3 iphone users and 1 android (me). We are all AT&T customers and I noticed that AT&T has a special add on feature for people on cruises. Has anyone used that? And does it work just as if you were on land? Or does it work through Starlink? I've looked at it and don't really understand how it works...do we need the ships wifi?  We all have FAS, but I may upgrade mine to FAS+. 

On just one point:
There ain't no cell towers out in the ocean. - so no, not like on land.

Everything needs to upload through the internet (some ship have Starlink, others don't as yet).

Paying AT&T for service is one thing - you still have to pay for the ship to connect to it.

I'll leave that part to others more familiar with that process.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, olemissreb said:

Here is what ATT says:

Your AT&T Cruise package will activate 9 to 11 nautical miles from shore. Once you’re at sea your device will display Cellular at Sea, wmsatsea, 901-18, or NOR-18 when you’re connected.

Your AT&T Cruise package only works at sea. You’ll want to add AT&T International Day Pass to stay connected throughout your adventures at port and on land.

So it will only work at sea, not on land. You will not need the ships wifi, but everyone who wants to use it will have to have their own cruise package through ATT

If you do this you will have to be really careful about having cellular on while you are at sea, but turning it off once you get to that 11 nautical miles from shore point. Once your phone connects to the local network you will be charged $10 under the travel pass. The nice thing about wifi is that you can always leave it on. So you dont' have to remember to turn it off and on.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Here is what ATT says:

Your AT&T Cruise package will activate 9 to 11 nautical miles from shore. Once you’re at sea your device will display Cellular at Sea, wmsatsea, 901-18, or NOR-18 when you’re connected.

So it will only work at sea, not on land. You will not need the ships wifi, but everyone who wants to use it will have to have their own cruise package through ATT

I

Interesting.

Are these packages cruise line specific?

Does AT&T pay a fee to the cruise line?

I can't believe they let you uplink without a fee.

You mention that you don't need ship Wifi - but you are connecting through the ship's systems. 

Just now, cruiser2015 said:

Interesting.

Are these packages cruise line specific?

Does AT&T pay a fee to the cruise line?

I can't believe they let you uplink without a fee.

You mention that you don't need ship Wifi - but you are connecting through the ship's systems. 

Yes, the packages are cruise ship specific.

You are connecting through cellular at sea; not using the ship's wifi. You do not need a wifi package for this.

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, the packages are cruise ship specific.

You are connecting through cellular at sea; not using the ship's wifi. You do not need a wifi package for this.

So, no doubt AT&T pays NCL for this service.

Call it what they will, they must be using ship internet to connect, just not requiring separate fee for it.

31 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

So, no doubt AT&T pays NCL for this service.

Call it what they will, they must be using ship internet to connect, just not requiring separate fee for it.

No. They pay cellular at sea. Cellular at sea is a completely separate company from cruise lines. I believe cellular at sea uses satellites for their network.

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

No. They pay cellular at sea. Cellular at sea is a completely separate company from cruise lines. I believe cellular at sea uses satellites for their network.

Okay.

But cell phones don't link directly to satellites - back to NCL.

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Okay.

But cell phones don't link directly to satellites - back to NCL.

I don't know what to tell you. If you choose to connect to cellular service while are at sea without a cell phone plane; all of your charges will be from cellular at sea. If you purchase a cruise plan like this, ATT is paying cellular at sea on it. All of this is completely unrelated to the ship's wifi plans.

29 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don't know what to tell you. If you choose to connect to cellular service while are at sea without a cell phone plane; all of your charges will be from cellular at sea. If you purchase a cruise plan like this, ATT is paying cellular at sea on it. All of this is completely unrelated to the ship's wifi plans.

I believe you.

I'm just saying that NCL is going to get a piece of the action - most likely from Cellular at Sea.

Merely a curiosity for me. not important.

On 12/7/2023 at 7:12 AM, sanger727 said:

Here is what ATT says:

Your AT&T Cruise package only works at sea. You’ll want to add AT&T International Day Pass to stay connected throughout your adventures at port and on land.

If you do this you will have to be really careful about having cellular on while you are at sea, but turning it off once you get to that 11 nautical miles from shore point. Once your phone connects to the local network you will be charged $10 under the travel pass. The nice thing about wifi is that you can always leave it on. So you dont' have to remember to turn it off and on.

Thanks. I linked to the International Day Pass on my last cruise in 2019, so that's not an issue for me. I will have to bring this up to the other 3 that I'm traveling with. We may decide there's another way to meet up and stuff like that, but this is an option.