POT smoking on balcony?

Truthfully, as long as what you, <meaning anyone, do doesn't affect me, my family, my friends, and/or the safety of the ship, I don't care what you do.  Just know that if you are caught breaking the well-publicized rules/laws/edicts and ramifications of any business or government jurisdiction, don't come into a public forum and whine/cry/complain, which is not a discussion, about the ramifications that you may have suffered for breaking those well-publicized rules/laws/edicts. 

• Like 5

On 12/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, island lady said:

I was sent a bottle of wine from an officer that asked to come into our cabin to be able to peer around our balcony to see the pot smokers next to us.  They were busted...not once but twice.  

This is about the only way to catch people smoking anything on a balcony.  People should report smokers and ships should send officers ... why wait until some idiot starts a fire?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

This is about the only way to catch people smoking anything on a balcony.  People should report smokers and ships should send officers ... why wait until some idiot starts a fire?

Then those idiot offenders get forced off on the next port.   Examples need too be made.   A few reports passengers kicked off cruise ships at next port for smoking weed/tobacco on the balcony would change that behavior.   I am thinking its pure irrogance on these offenders to smoke weed/tobacco on the balcony.   If you have that need to light it up go do it at a port.  For the cbd gummies I could care less no odor maybe it will help preventing people from smoking it on the balcony.   I wrote an escalated email to RCL on this issue in light of our experience on Oasis of Seas.  I hope someone looks at it internally.  

• Like 3

From the WSJ article, this guy needs a slap upside the head, in addition to a lifetime ban.  

"A 25-year-old TikTok influencer from Orlando, Fla., says he was asked to disembark in Jamaica from a seven-day Royal Caribbean cruise midway through the trip after he was caught on surveillance smoking marijuana on an upper deck of the ship. The man says he has a medical-marijuana card and had previously sailed with products containing THC without any issues."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

From the WSJ article, this guy needs a slap upside the head, in addition to a lifetime ban.  

"A 25-year-old TikTok influencer from Orlando, Fla., says he was asked to disembark in Jamaica from a seven-day Royal Caribbean cruise midway through the trip after he was caught on surveillance smoking marijuana on an upper deck of the ship. The man says he has a medical-marijuana card and had previously sailed with products containing THC without any issues."

Ignorance has no conscience.  Willful ignorance should be dealt with harshly.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

LOL. Just because he got away with it once doesn't make it allowed.  It's like all the people who respond to a question about extension cords on cruises and someone posts the exact rules, there's always a couple who say that they do it and have never had a problem.  Duh, that isn't the issue.  Not getting caught doesn't translate into allowed.

Also, why do we need to know he is a "Tik Tok influencer"?   I know, he makes great contributions to society smh.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Twice Ive taken pictures and went down to GS with them. Both times that’s all they needed to pay a visit to the cabins. Both times were for cigarettes. 

• Like 2

I also think that Royal won't do a crack-down until it effects their bottom-line.  People raising a stink when they can't use their balcony because of the smoke.   People telling them they booked an interior because their friend told them about the smoke on the balconies.  

When I was very young, I was a bit of a turd about my mother's smoking cigarettes.  I used to do things like leave lung cancer pamphlets on her smoking chair on the back porch, and wave menus at her when she lit up in a restaurant.  I've apologized to her, and she quit a long time ago.   Maybe some public shaming is in order for those doing it in public areas.  Unlike my mom, they'd deserve it.   

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Twice Ive taken pictures and went down to GS with them. Both times that’s all they needed to pay a visit to the cabins. Both times were for cigarettes. 

What happened after you  reported them and they WEREN'T thrown off the ship? You shouldn't do that to people you don't know you know. You never know how they will react. What would you have done if he had cracked your skull or shoved you down the stairs? Just asking a question.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What happened after you  reported them and they WEREN'T thrown off the ship? You shouldn't do that to people you don't know you know. You never know how they will react. What would you have done if he had cracked your skull or shoved you down the stairs? Just asking a question.

No they didn’t get thrown off, just got a visit from GS making sure they realized they can’t smoke on balconies. 

Another time they had no idea who turned them in, they probably thought it was their room attendant since they had left their ashtray full of butts on the table on the balcony.

these were two separate cruises.

3 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, he got thrown off at the perfect location for a pot smoker.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

How would they know who reported them? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I also think that Royal won't do a crack-down until it effects their bottom-line.  People raising a stink when they can't use their balcony because of the smoke.   People telling them they booked an interior because their friend told them about the smoke on the balconies.  

When I was very young, I was a bit of a turd about my mother's smoking cigarettes.  I used to do things like leave lung cancer pamphlets on her smoking chair on the back porch, and wave menus at her when she lit up in a restaurant.  I've apologized to her, and she quit a long time ago.   Maybe some public shaming is in order for those doing it in public areas.  Unlike my mom, they'd deserve it.   

Don’t feel bad, I was much worse. I used to light all the matches in my dad’s matchbooks, blow them out and close the book again so he wouldn’t realize they were already spent.  It didn’t work of course, though years later when he had to buy them himself he quit on the spot at the store seeing how much they cost. Wish I’d thought of that.

As for shaming, I agree if done in the context of breaking the rules rather than simply being a smoker.  Usually if someone is knowingly breaking rules I say “hey!” and they stop whatever wrong they’re doing. It works really well with misbehaving children, because they immediately stop and the parents can’t accuse you of disciplining their kids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

With my luck, probably gone to the morgue. If ships have such things. 

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

With my luck, probably gone to the morgue. If ships have such things. 

They do, I've seen it. It also is not rare for it to be used. Before anyone feels the need to ask how I know, told to me by a ship's physician.

• Thanks 1

LOL.  Of course, they have a morgue.  A ship can be days away from a port.  What would they do with a body?  Not put it in a food refrigerator, that's for sure.  And I too have seen the morgue and the holding cell for the bad boys/girls, it ain't a suite.  

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL.  Of course, they have a morgue.  A ship can be days away from a port.  What would they do with a body?  Not put it in a food refrigerator, that's for sure.  And I too have seen the morgue and the holding cell for the bad boys/girls, it ain't a suite.  

I thought they just tossed the body overboard. Fish food.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I was thinking there was just a place in the medical area with cold storage in case a body or two had to be let off at the next port. As opposed to an official full blown morgue with an autopsy table and a wall of drawers holding bodies. I must have watched too many episodes of Quincy in my youth. 

Edited by vjmatty

"Yes, there are morgues on most of the world's largest cruise ships. The larger the ship, the larger the morgue's capacity. Vessels are also required to carry body bags. Morgues are located on ships' lowest decks, generally along what the crew refers to as "I-95" — the long corridor that runs from one end of the vessel to the other. It houses storage for everything from food and alcohol to fresh flowers and miscellaneous ship equipment. (Don't worry; the morgues are kept well away from areas where food is stored.)"  ...well I'd hope so! But everyone is complaining about the quality of the Food.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I was thinking there was just a place in the medical area with cold storage in case a body or two had to be let off at the next port. As opposed to an official full blown morgue with an autopsy table and a wall of drawers holding bodies. I must have watched too many episodes of Quincy in my youth. 

Lol, no autopsy table. When I have a chance I'll see if I can locate a picture for you in my old photos.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Lol, no autopsy table. When I have a chance I'll see if I can locate a picture for you in my old photos.

Yep, by definition a morgue is simply a place where bodies are stored for identification and final disposition.  Now, can a morgue have an autopsy table, the vast majority of them are coroner's offices?  Yes!  But, it isn't necessary.  Most human remains don't go to coroner's offices, depending on state laws, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1