Seabourn & singles

Dwtlion

Frequent Oceania single cruiser looking at returning to Seabourn. How does Seabourn treat singles-anything special? Pre dinner gatherings? Group[ dinners once in a while? Searched this board, but no info I could find. TIA

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we cruised with a single friend. We assumed we would be having dinner together every night, but she kept on getting invited to dinner with other singles almost every night! There were also one or two coctails-before-dinner events. She has been on two other SB cruises since. 

Very recently on a non-expedition SB ship, sailing as a solo, in addition to announced pre-dinner cocktail options for solos, I received an advance written invitation to dine with different members of the staff in the main dining room (Restaurant) every night of my cruise.  I could then call to RSVP or decline. I didn't accept most of them but it was a nice gesture, since I know some solos don't like dining alone and/or don't like relying on timely meeting people to dine with.  Then at the table (with 4-6 guests) there would be other solos (including widows and widowers) and/or solos plus couples.

You do not have to be "single" per se BTW (quite a few people are married but sometimes or even always  sail separately from their spouses), i.e., the  effort is not about finding people romantic dates the way  "singles" gatherings  may or may not be on some mainstream lines. 

• Like 2

I recently sailed on my own. I was on a 2 week cruise in Alaska. I was invited to a solo cruiser cocktail party on the first night and there was usually an invite to a hosted table for dinner. I think the only nights that didn't happen were formal nights and the last night. As another person has posted, they request you RSVP by about 4pm. The hosted tables are quite nice. Sometimes there are many people and sometimes it's just one or two others. Also, not always the same solos (and sometimes couples) so you do get the opportunity to meet several other people. It's also really nice to have an opportunity to meet some of the crew and hear their stories.

I am an (anti-social) introvert and I was travelling just after my husband passed so I was really worried about how I would get on but it was really good. For the most part, crew and passengers are very nice and friendly and I realized that if I wanted to chat with people at breakfast or lunch, I could usually find people who wanted to share a table but I could also just sit on my own and people watch and nobody bothering me. For dinner there were the hosted tables or I ate on my own or occasionally met up with people I'd met during other meals. 

I guess what I'm saying is what others have already said... you won't feel like an outcast and you can be as social (or anti-social in my case) as you want.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

As long as you are not on the last segment of a world cruise (Sojourn 2023) you'll be fine with invites and hosted get togethers. World cruise a whole different situation--by the last 12 days everyone seemed burned out, crew included. Thank God I met some super fun people on my own. 

Invitations to hosted tables for dinner is one of the real pluses on Seabourn. Even though I was travelling with my sister I attended the drinks for solos on the first night. I asked if I could be included in invites as my sister quite often prefers room service, and as a result we were both invited to join a hosted table on most nights, some of which she declined and I accepted. I/we met a mixture of solos and couples, plus of course the host which varied from guest speakers, dancers, singers, CD and other officers.

The Swan Hellenic Maitre D would ask when you arrived at the dining room if you would like to join a table, or have your own, which meant solos, couples and triples could easily mix for dinner and meet new people. After their (SH) demise, I struggled to find a cruise line that did it so well having poor experiences on Silverseas, Regent and Viking which ranged from being placed on a table where the other guest had already finished 2 courses, being seated with a party of 7 who where all travelling together and didn't appreciate a stranger at their table, and being told I could have a solo table and in future should pre arrange dining companions. How delightful it was on my first Seabourn cruise recently to be made so welcome enjoying the company of new aquaintances. 

• Like 4

Traveling solo last year on Silversea (not Silverseas), I couldn't disagree more about welcoming solos. There is a cocktail get-together nightly, and some, not all, go on to dinner together. Viking treated me as a solo as persona non grata. Regent I haven't sailed since Covid (have a cruise planned this summer), so can't comment.

It sometimes takes some preemptive activity to arrange solo dining with these lines. Seabourn, I agree, is the best. Very pro-active, printed invitations almost daily if you request it. Accept or decline, easy-peasy. I'll be on Venture, first time, soon and am anxious to see if the invitations still come 🙂.

Does Seabourn still have gentleman hosts?  On our last Quest cruise in November out of Miami there was a gentleman in his 70s/80s range who wore a Seabourn name tag.  I didn't inquire further ....

I've searched the Seabourn website and this forum, but can't find info on single supplements.  Does it vary by ship/itinerary/time of year/cabin?  Or is it a standard amt.?  Any information is greatly appreciated.  I'm looking at sailing solo on an Antarctic expedition cruise. 

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I've searched the Seabourn website and this forum, but can't find info on single supplements.  Does it vary by ship/itinerary/time of year/cabin?  Or is it a standard amt.?  Any information is greatly appreciated.  I'm looking at sailing solo on an Antarctic expedition cruise. 

I find the easiest way to find out how much it will cost is to find the trip I want and select the Book Now button. Then just edit the number of guests and you'll see what the price is for the cabin(s) you're interested in. Then I call my travel advisor and she can sometimes get me a better deal but at least I have any idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Click on Offers, then Solo Travelers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Click on Offers, then Solo Travelers

Second that. You can also sign up for their emails which tout all kinds of special offers. I do feel like Antarctica less likely to have solo specials.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roz said:

I'm looking at sailing solo on an Antarctic expedition cruise. 

The travel agency website that I prefer lists the single supplement on Antarctica sailings on Venture and Pursuit as 25% for 2024 sailings and 75% for 2025 sailings, I cannot guaranty the accuracy. 

• Like 1