Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines to combine.

klfrodo

57 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks for that qualification.  I had never looked at this although it explains why lounge access is granted to OW members flying on Fiji through Nadi.  I guess this merger could put additional pressure on Fiji if it comes to pass.

Fiji is half owned (well, 46%, the rest by the Fijian government) by Qantas.  Of the South Pacific islands, I think Tahiti is the big missing link in direct Oneworld coverage.  

Edited by Gardyloo

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Just who is Cathy, anyway?

Two of my cousins are named Cathy.  Both are great people.  Regardless of who Cathy is, I am sorry to be so offensive to you with a typo. 

The bottom line is that the airline based in Hong Kong is has lots of issues even though they turned a first profit this year.  This airline's problems might be more challenging when the Chinese carriers start flying more normal schedules.  I am not sure of the UK, but the Chinese airline rights to the US are and remain highly limited in comparison to pre-pandemic levels.  And none of this includes the political risk of being a Hong Kong based business.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/US-and-China-agree-to-double-air-connectivity

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

You were the one suggesting that the market is omniscient

Over the long run the market does a pretty good job.  Certainly better than policy makers who attempt to intervene and generally waste other people's money.

BTW - here is an interesting perspective on Qantas from an investor board that I like.  What I find relevant is that the company has really squeezed on the both the operating and capital cost front to turn a profit and is now looking at a big outlays just to maintain capacity over the coming years.  Add in some additional economic headwinds and things could be even tougher for the airline. 

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4591886-qantas-is-not-the-long-term-buy-it-appears 

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2023 at 5:15 AM, Gardyloo said:

Fiji is not a member of Oneworld; they're part of the so-called "Oneworld Connect" program which means, basically, nothing. 

Hi @Gardyloo - I am writing this post from the Fiji Airways lounge in Nadi.  It seems that at least some OneWorld benefits apply when flying Fiji Airways.

As a OneWorld Emerald I received group “a” boarding in both LA and Nadi.  Interestingly, I didn’t get lounge access at LAX but did in NAN while flying economy.  

Lounge access in Nadi has  been especially appreciated as we needed to checkout of our hotel this afternoon and are waiting several hours before this evening’s flight back to LAX.

Fiji Airways connect status in OneWorld might not bring all benefits, but so far my experience has been good.  It would have been really good if they had given me the extra leg room coach seats for free.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 7:39 AM, Gardyloo said:

Good to know, thanks.

Sadly neither AA miles nor loyalty points were accrued on my trip as my booking code wasn't eligible.  As you initially suggested, it is truly a mixed bag flying on Fiji Airways as a Oneworld member.