Escape, Escape - Two Times the Escape. Live Review B2B NCL Escape, Dec 9-16 & Dec 16-23

Stealthdog

13 hours ago, macewank said:

Proud of this group. Only 2 folks weren't on by 630 and they must've gotten on shortly after! No duplicate call outs.

Last night was a weird night.  I don’t even think those 2 people called were late boarders.  I think they were related to the first Code Alpha medical emergency that was announced about the time all aboard was supposed to happen.  We were watching the pier and there was only 1 late arrival back pier.  We saw one person run to the pier, hop on one of those bicycle carts, and get driven up to the ship.  That happened around 632 and before the call asking 2 people to report to guest services. 

While we were eating in La Cucina, a woman had a partially blocked throat and her dining companion had to give her the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge whatever was stuck. It was eventually cleared and she was ok. 

Later in the evening a second Code Alpha medical emergency was announced.  

I hope everyone is ok from those emergencies.

Last night we returned to La Cucina (first time this cruise).  We were given the option of sitting inside or outside on the waterfront.  We decided outside because it wasn’t too windy out, was very pleasant weather, and we had the perfect view of the pier to watch for pier runners and our departure from port. 

We wanted to try new items from the menu.  I got the antipasti and Eric got the insalata mista.  The antipasti was nice - it is a lighter version of a charcuterie board we had at Pincho.  I particularly liked the olive tapenade and peppers, which weren’t even in the description.  Eric enjoyed his salad.

We decided to skip the pasta plates and try one of the pizzas from the menu.  We got prosciutto e arugula.  It was tasty and came out in traditional Italizian pizza style - not very doughy or crusty.  We probably wouldn’t pay the ala carte price for it, but think getting a pizza with a dining package was worth it.  I will talk about the pizza on board at the end of this review. 

For dinner, Eric went off menu (based on a recommendation from Julius at Moderno) and got an aglio olio plate with shrimp.  Ask your server in Cucina if you can go off menu if you have something specific in mind you want.  They may be able to accommodate for your main meal.  I got the filet with ravioli.  Eric loved his custom made dinner.  The filet was perfect and I really enjoyed the ravioli with blue cheese - I’m not huge on blue cheese, but it was a nice part of the dish.  

For desert, our server brought us the three deserts we didn’t get during our first dinner in Cucina.  We got the Tiramisu, Panna Cotta, and Torta.  The Tiramisu is the star dessert in Cucina - if you want a safe desert choice order that.  I also enjoyed the torta.  The panna cotta was the least favorite.

We realized we weren’t going to make the 730 show time in the theater so we took our time with deserts and post dinner coffees and enjoyed being on the waterfront.  

The service was above and beyond in La Cucina.  When we get service like that we think it’s important to show our appreciation (I don’t want a tipping discussion because of how divisive it is and that is a personal decision).  When you get exceptional service, fill out a hero card for that server and turn it into guest services.  Those hero cards mean a lot - they can lead to time off, extra time at ports, bonuses, etc.  I’ll also include the hero cards as a topic at the end of this review.

Our server last night was Septiana. She was amazing.  Ask to be seated in her section and she will take care of you. 

IMG_0123.jpeg

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0130.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 4

We missed the 730 theater show we were going to see and saw the pour house doors open, so headed over to that to see what was happening.  At about 745, only half the seats were taken for the 800 show, so we decided to see it since we didn’t get a chance to see a Pour House show on the first cruise.  For comparison, during the first cruise, people were lining up hours in advance to get seats for Pour House shows.

The show is really, really loud.  We saw a couple of guests with earplugs, so they probably knew what to expect.  If you plan to see a pour house show, put earplugs on your cruise packing list.

The concept was fun, with 4 singers and a band.  It was an interactive show, so if you sit in the front row, you may get picked on. 😁. We were a couple rows back, in the middle of the row, and safe.  

At times it was hard to hear the singers because the band was so loud.  IMHO, the band and one particular singer was the star of the show. 

The show did seem to be a niche entertainment for a specific audience.  I like it because it is a different type of entertainment you won’t see anywhere else on board, so it’s an option for people.  Older guests probably won’t enjoy it because of how loud it is and how different it is from a traditional cruise line production type entertainment.  There were about 6-7 guests in the room under the age of 30 and they all looked bored and were on their phones most of the time. 

We won’t go back for another show just because of how loud it was.  It certainly has appeal to a 40-65 year old guests who like rock music. 

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpeg

• Like 1

Day 4 daily.  Sea day (formerly Grand Cayman)

Decided to push the gym to late morning, and try breakfast at Osheehans.  It’s noticeably less packed in the gym now than it was mid morning on the first sea, but still a lot more people using the gym this cruise than the first cruise. 

IMG_0140.jpeg

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

First time NCL cruise and wondering about times for Garden Cafe Buffet breakfast.....it shows "early risers", 5:30--6:30, deck 16 aft.... followed by breakfast 7:00-10:30 deck 16 aft. What is the difference in what is offered and does the buffet close from 6:30-7:00 ?

-

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kittymamma said:

First time NCL cruise and wondering about times for Garden Cafe Buffet breakfast.....it shows "early risers", 5:30--6:30, deck 16 aft.... followed by breakfast 7:00-10:30 deck 16 aft. What is the difference in what is offered and does the buffet close from 6:30-7:00 ?

-

We don’t usually do the buffet and have only been there once in the morning over the last week and half.  So, I don’t really know this answer - try asking this on the NCL board.  My guess is they have a limited selection at early riser and open up to full buffet breakfast after.  But that is just a guess.

On the days that we missed eating breakfast in the MDR, we either skipped breakfast or ate in Osheehans or the American Diner (17th deck), which is a much smaller version of the buffet, but no one uses it so its always been empty. 

I have been using one of the rooms connected to the gym more this week because of how busy the main gym has been.  Relatively few people have discovered this room - it’s in the far end of the gym on the left.  So if you have an experience with a busy gym, check out the spin room or this other room for possible quiet and less used spaces. 

It has the standard floor mats, various core balls, lighter barbells, etc you will find in traditional gyms. 

IMG_0146.jpeg

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

The pizza looks great. Take all that healthy green stuff off of that pizza and I'll bet it would be even better. 😁

I always order the pizza and always take the green stuff off.   I would order it without it, but my family always eats some of it and they like the green stuff.   

• Like 2

Yesterday the Trivia Dream Team racked up another victory, getting 19/20 in the Tri Bond Trivia.  We won’t discuss our attempt at Flags of the World.  🙈

We also tried the Deal or no Deal game in the atrium.  We were going to just cheer on the contestants, but we ended up buying the cards as well.  If you purchase the cards, you have a chance of being called on stage as a contestant to win up to $1K.  If you aren’t called up, you still have a chance to win prizes by following along with your card. 

IMG_0147.jpeg

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

Day 5 Daily.  Today is Ocho Rios day.  It is overcast and windy, with temps in the high 70s.   This is our first time in this port, so we will probably explore the port area a little, but nothing beyond that.  

We have the perfect view of the pier from our balcony - I’ll be bringing a mimosa back to the cabin to watch for pier runners at the 430 all aboard time!

Like all the other ports before (both East and West itineraries), we have free data while in port through T-Mobile, so able to leave ship wifi and airplane mode to access data while in port.  I’ll do a more comprehensive “everything Internet” at the end of the cruise. 

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0160.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0164.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:19 PM, Stealthdog said:

We typically get outside insurance.  I don’t know much about the Amex insurance and what it covers.  Eric tracks all that.  I should probably pay more attention to it.

My fee is an alcoholic drink if we ever cross paths. 😁

You are such a great resource!  So much usable info- makes me rethink my past reviews- ha!  You never know on that drink!!!  Question- what do you think of the back to back?  My DH is always already leave after a week.  I’m ready to cruise!!  Have only done longer vacations in Europe/Asia and we’re shot by the end but I think a cruise is different by design- all the R&R you want!  No packing and unpacking between countries/ location.  How about work- either of you working from the ship?  That would be mandatory for me to consider two weeks. Truly great review and so appreciate you!!  BTW, I’m totally jealous!! 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kittymamma said:

-

The early riser is going to be more your continental breakfast.   Wont have any of the hot stuff.. You'll have like cereal, bagels, toast, some fruit maybe?     I personally dont really remember them 'closing' from 630-700, and normally they were "open" part of the full buffet before 7 anyway.   Then as it got busier would open more and more sections of it.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Question- what do you think of the back to back?  My DH is always already leave after a week.  I’m ready to cruise!!  Have only done longer vacations in Europe/Asia and we’re shot by the end but I think a cruise is different by design- all the R&R you want!  No packing and unpacking between countries/ location.  How about work- either of you working from the ship?  That would be mandatory for me to consider two weeks. Truly great review and so appreciate you!!  BTW, I’m totally jealous!! 

We prefer 12-14 day cruises.  Shorter cruises go by too quickly for us. It’s harder since COVID to find a nice 2 week cruise because it seems like most cruise lines have been moving more towards the 4-7 day cruise schedules.  We normally start hitting our cruise wall around Day 12-13.  Our favorite cruise was on the NCL Sun repositioning 15 day cruise from Miami to Santiago, Chile. 

This is our first B2B - last year we did a side by side - 8 days on Royal Odyssey of Seas and 7 days on Celebrity Beyond, so we had to pack up and go to a different ship in the same port.  The B2B has been a more relaxing experience.  I’ll give a few posts at the end of this review specific to B2B.  We would definitely do a B2B again.  

Our vacation schedule has always been 2 weeks in December and 2 weeks in June, so this B2B timeline is about the time we normally take.  I retired from the Army last year, so I have much more flexibility.  I didn’t let Eric bring his work phone with him, but part of the reason we got the internet package is so people can reach out to him if needed and he won’t feel overwhelmed when he gets back to work. 

Glad you are finding this helpful!

54 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

We prefer 12-14 day cruises.  Shorter cruises go by too quickly for us. It’s harder since COVID to find a nice 2 week cruise because it seems like most cruise lines have been moving more towards the 4-7 day cruise schedules.  We normally start hitting our cruise wall around Day 12-13.  Our favorite cruise was on the NCL Sun repositioning 15 day cruise from Miami to Santiago, Chile. 

This is our first B2B - last year we did a side by side - 8 days on Royal Odyssey of Seas and 7 days on Celebrity Beyond, so we had to pack up and go to a different ship in the same port.  The B2B has been a more relaxing experience.  I’ll give a few posts at the end of this review specific to B2B.  We would definitely do a B2B again.  

Our vacation schedule has always been 2 weeks in December and 2 weeks in June, so this B2B timeline is about the time we normally take.  I retired from the Army last year, so I have much more flexibility.  I didn’t let Eric bring his work phone with him, but part of the reason we got the internet package is so people can reach out to him if needed and he won’t feel overwhelmed when he gets back to work. 

Glad you are finding this helpful!

We (or I should say "I") like the longer cruises. Hubby is just a long for the ride.  lol.. If I can't do a longer, then I look for a B2B. Sometimes you can get them where they actually go to different ports on each leg of the cruise. Depends on when and where you are going.

Thank you very much for your review, we like the Escape as well, and it has been fun following along.

Thank you for your service and congratulations on your retirement.

Last night (Day 4) we went back to Bayamo.  We are really impressed with the specialty restaurants overall on the Escape.  If we go on a Breakaway category ship again, we will do specialty dining every night again.

Im not a big seafood lover so I ordered the same as last week - jumbo shrimp, wedge salad, and filet.  They were just as good as the last trip, so good consistency by the chef.

Eric got the ahi tuna and avocado tower (new for him), beet salad (repeat) and Chilean Sea Bass (new).  He really liked all of them, particularly the sea bass.  Be careful with the sea bass because there were still some bones in it.  

For desert we got the vanilla cheesecake in a jar (again) and the key lime pie.  I think the vanilla cheesecake at Bayamo is my favorite desert on board.  

We used the latitudes voucher in Bayamo that gives a bottle of wine for dinner. The bottles offered are a step higher than the wines by the glass offered in the basic beverage package, so it’s a nice gesture.  We only had half of the bottle las night and the bottle will be brought to Le Bistro for us tonight. 

We are still debating Friday night dinner.  Currently we are booked with Food Republic, but we may go to Bayamo a third time, or Moderno a second time. Tonight we are doing Le Bistro (4th time) and tomorrow La Cucina (3rd time).

Edited by Stealthdog

We got off board after breakfast in the MDR.  We ended up turning around and getting immediately back on the ship.  😂

The port area isn’t as nice or developed as many other Caribbean ports.  They have a several shops in the secured port area.  Each shop looked like they were selling the same exact merchandise and they were a little aggressive with sales.  We were thinking about walking to the little downtown area or the beaches across from the ship, but with overcast skies we decided to go enjoy an empty ship.

They do post taxi prices for various locations of interest (attached), but they seemed fairly high.  If we come back to Ocho Rios we will book an excursion through the cruise line or a private company.  Doing it on your own didn’t seem like it was a value option, especially if you need to factor in taxis. 

Back on board we got tea and coffee to try to spend my nonrefundable OBC.  Eric tried his luck at Mario carts in the atrium.

I’m working on my reviews in the gym again.  Early afternoon on a port day - the gym is mostly empty.  So if you find other times too crowded and aren’t doing an excursion or leaving the ship, early afternoon on a port day may good a good option.  I have a great view of the port and am watching the party ships 🚢

The only other ship in port with us is the NCL Epic. 

I did find an officer board near one of the stairwells (only took me 12 days 😂) - posted below. 

IMG_0168.jpeg

IMG_0167.jpeg

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0174.jpeg

IMG_0175.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

IMG_0181.jpeg

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Thanks 1

Question for you - maybe better answered when you finish this leg- did you have a preference between the 2 different itineraries?  We did the St Thomas leg last year, and are doing the Cozumel leg in 10 days (!!!), so I wondered.  Thanks for the awesome reviews!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

Question for you - maybe better answered when you finish this leg- did you have a preference between the 2 different itineraries?  We did the St Thomas leg last year, and are doing the Cozumel leg in 10 days (!!!), so I wondered.  Thanks for the awesome reviews!

It’s a little hard because this 2nd leg was incomplete with Grand Cayman being cancelled - so it turned into 2 ports vs 3 ports.  Cayman was the only stop where we had a planned excursion, so that was impacted as well.   I think I like the eastern ports better, but this 2nd cruise has a much better vibe on board.  But we are also enjoying the extra time on board this 2nd cruise with the port canceled.  Let me think on it more and I’ll post something at the end specifically on itineraries. 

Our favorite Caribbean cruises for itinerary are Southern ones that go to the ABCs, Barbados, and Cartagena.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:46 AM, slavetoabunny said:

Inquiring minds want to know......it being the holiday season, is there eggnog available on the ship?

We still haven’t seen any eggnog on board.  Maybe we are missing it, or it will be something available on the next sailing.