Turning Over a Direct Booking to TA

Gourmet Gal

Well, I did the thing I usually advise against and booked directly with an SS Cruise Consultant.  I have a wonderful TA and am planning to turn the booking over to her to receive hotel perks and OBC but the Cruise Consultant has been so helpful and responsive.  I initially was just making an inquiry about the cruise but I’ve been very impressed with this individual and completed the booking.  He has told me I can assign the booking to my TA but now I worry that after all the work the Cruise Consultant did he will receive less compensation than if I didn’t involve a third party.  Does anyone know how that works for the SS Consultants?

I was told I had to do the transfer within 30 days and it would be fine to transfer to a TA.

However, the SS "cruise consultant" (who consulted on nothing) failed to mentioned that you cannot do a transfer after final payment, even if within the 30 day period (so if you do a "short notice" booking, i.e., 90 or less days before sailing, or online on your own or with a "cruise consultant at a time when full payment is due), even if you try and transfer to your TA within 30 days it will be no-go.

On 12/4/2023 at 8:58 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

Well, I did the thing I usually advise against and booked directly with an SS Cruise Consultant.  I have a wonderful TA and am planning to turn the booking over to her to receive hotel perks and OBC but the Cruise Consultant has been so helpful and responsive.  I initially was just making an inquiry about the cruise but I’ve been very impressed with this individual and completed the booking.  He has told me I can assign the booking to my TA but now I worry that after all the work the Cruise Consultant did he will receive less compensation than if I didn’t involve a third party.  Does anyone know how that works for the SS Consultants?

I though I had answered you, but my iPad sometimes has a mind of its own!

The Silversea rep is a paid employee, so I don’t think they earn a commission as well.  They job is to seal the deal!  When you transfer the booking to your TA, that person does get the commission.

40 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I was told I had to do the transfer within 30 days and it would be fine to transfer to a TA.

However, the SS "cruise consultant" (who consulted on nothing) failed to mentioned that you cannot do a transfer after final payment, even if within the 30 day period (so if you do a "short notice" booking, i.e., 90 or less days before sailing, or online on your own or with a "cruise consultant at a time when full payment is due), even if you try and transfer to your TA within 30 days it will be no-go.

There might be a way around this.  Usually you have 24 or 48 hours of whatever to pay in full.  You can pay a portion on the ship and then transfer to your TA and pay the balance through them the next day.

Indeed once when it was time to pay in full when we made the booking on board a deposit was accepted as a hold for I think 3 days. So we emailed our TA to pay from our card that they have on record.

The extra benefit for us is that our agent is a Virtuoso agent and most SS cruises are Virtuoso cruises so you get OBC or an Excursion thrown in. There easn't going to be that much difference if we lost the 5% booking on board and our TA doing it and getting the Virtuoso benefits. It was much better though to get both.

Have never used the SS hotels so don't know. but I am presuming you are talking about the benefits of a Virtuoso booking. If so I doubt you would get them as Barbara muckerman's talk to us on the muse a month ago said SS has contracts with hotels for a fixed number of rooms which means a discounted rate.

When we book a Virtuoso hotel the Virtuoso rate is more expensive than doing it direct however the benefits make it a better option. Especially so with Intercontinental hotels as i have diamond status. have never missed out on the Virtuoso upgrade with a second diamond up grade. So often get a suite and sometimes club access as well.

2 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

What are Virtuoso and Signature, travel agencies?   

They are travel agency consortiums [and can be discussed on Cruise Critic].  Travel agencies can join one or the other.  They negotiate discounts and amenities that are passed on to the customers.

• Thanks 1