tipping

eightofninekev

I always what was the cultural norm at the time. When they suggested an amount and provided an envelope for handing to the steward/waiter, I did that. When gratuities were added to the onboard account, I paid by that method. When P&O said that tips were no longer required, I took them at their word and didn’t give it a second thought.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I don't miss the little "reminders" (begging) that occurred when it came to the last few days of a cruise. I also don't miss the in cabin surveys and the hints that "unless you mark this question 5 stars I won't get my tips".

On Oceana I was confined to my cabin while recovering from Norovirus and was suffering severe stomach cramps. The steward knocked on the door once and burst in holding the survey aloft. I told the idiot to disappear rapidly over the horizon (polite version) as he was prepared to put his health and that of other people at risk in seeking the magic 5 stars. He got no stars 😠

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I always what was the cultural norm at the time. When they suggested an amount and provided an envelope for handing to the steward/waiter, I did that. When gratuities were added to the onboard account, I paid by that method. When P&O said that tips were no longer required, I took them at their word and didn’t give it a second thought.

This is exactly the way I deal with tipping. I follow the guidelines for the cruise I am on. Certainly removes the worry about getting it right or wrong.

Plus, as already stated, the constant begging for top marks toward the end of a cruise with some cruise lines can become really annoying. I would not tip extra to anyone simply doing their job. Now and again there are those that go out of their way to smooth things out so then I would. 

It's all a personal choice after all. 

• Like 1

This subject is always divisive. Personally I like to reward the crew members who enhance the enjoyment of my cruise. But then I only really use the small ships, where I find the crew more engaging and friendly, plus I have fixed dining. Each to their own. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Exactly. When tipping was expected I used to do so at the recommended rate. When tips were automatically added I left them in situ. After it was stated that tips were no longer required or expected I ceased to tip on the basis that the staff would be rewarded appropriately by P&O and that continuing to tip would ammount to paying twice, and that it may become the new norm. From this thread it appears that the latter fears have been realised.

• Like 5

I wonder how much of a pay rise the crew got to compensate for the loss of gratuities, and if it was awarded to all crew, not just those face to face with pax. Having talked to a few who I have got to know quite well, I doubt if it was very generous! 

48 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I wonder how much of a pay rise the crew got to compensate for the loss of gratuities, and if it was awarded to all crew, not just those face to face with pax. Having talked to a few who I have got to know quite well, I doubt if it was very generous! 

Tips should not be used to supplement salary, crew should be paid a wage that doesn’t rely on tips to supplement their earnings. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Tips should not be used to supplement salary, crew should be paid a wage that doesn’t rely on tips to supplement their earnings. 

Absolutely, but they are not paid a lot for the amount of hours they work. A lot of them are sending the money home to support their families. No benefit payment where they

We always tip our cabin steward and as normally even on fixed dining you get the same table most of the time we tip the waiter and the assistant waiter. Not as much as we used to before tips were added into the price.  We have never tipped extra to the Maitre D as always expected on American lines. We don't drink so the problem of do we or don't we tip the bar staff never comes up. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:06 PM, FangedRose said:

I don't miss the little "reminders" (begging) that occurred when it came to the last few days of a cruise. I also don't miss the in cabin surveys and the hints that "unless you mark this question 5 stars I won't get my tips".

I have never had that on any of my cruises, I'm not saying it didn't happen .

Nope. Tips are for extra service above and beyond what they are paid to do in their terms and conditions. 

I will tip someone if i feel they have gone above and beyond however it should never be enforced or expected. 

I am not interested in what people get paid that is between the employer and employees. I also do not compare what people get paid depending on what country they live in. Yes they get paid less than the same job  in the UK but then their cost of living in their own countries is less than in the UK. I wouldnt expect to get paid UK wages for the same job in Indonesia. 🤷 I know that sounds harsh and i get it but IMO tips are earned not expected. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, dwhe said:

I have never had that on any of my cruises, I'm not saying it didn't happen .

It’s happened a couple of times to us on P&O. Both times the cabin steward. Really irritated me. I always score honestly and if they deserve 5 stars (which most do) I give them unprompted. The ones that asked were the not so good ones, and hassle like that made me even more determined to give an honest score!

• Like 5

I tipped cabin steward on day 1 of our cruise last month. Worked out well, room was serviced quickly and always completed before we returned from breakfast. Plenty of smiles and efficient help when required too.

1 hour ago, mitooki said:

I tipped cabin steward on day 1 of our cruise last month. Worked out well, room was serviced quickly and always completed before we returned from breakfast. Plenty of smiles and efficient help when required too.

Makes no difference never tipped cabin steward extra on day one and we have always had our stateroom/suite serviced before return from breakfast. You are kidding yourself thinking you get better service it makes no difference whatsoever.

• Like 8

Cabin stewards have more cabins to service these days, and whilst we very much prefer to have our cabin serviced whilst we are at breakfast that doesn’t always happen and it would never cross my mind to consider that worthy of a compliant.

• Like 12