When is an overnight stay NOT an overnight stay?

devonuk

49 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There's plenty of staff available to do things like that though 

And it's just part of the job

Yes there are plenty of staff but I think it is unreasonable to expect them to stand around all night waiting for people to return from where they have been, or to leave the ship, in the sort of temperatures experienced on these cruises. I guess you have never been on a winter Northern Lights cruise.
I will say no more because I don’t want to become involved in a debate on this issue, especially as you appear to have little concern for the health and well being of the crew who serve us so well. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

They are all different and it heavily depends on the size of the port and the port location. Smaller ports will have a years schedule on their sites, whereas others will have their schedule going into the following year. 

Southampton often shows no more than 6 months, as do many other port sites. I guess the frequent changes to port schedules make more than 12 month schedules worthwhile.

I check on this website for times in port.

Cruise Timetables | Cruise Schedules | Cruise Ship Schedules

It is also useful for finding out which other ships are also in port with you. They have arrival and departure times, but not sure how far in advance they are showing. Plus, of course, they can always be changed "for operational reasons".

9 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

I search for example 'Port of Amsterdam arrivals and departures' and then the official port website should appear (Very similar to the Southampton VTS page). Most ports will list their cruise call schedules separately.

I don't use the what's in port site as like you say it is vague and is not updated like the port pages. 

I agree on both points. Not all ports are easy to find but Amsterdam has always been reliable.

9 hours ago, pete14 said:

Yes there are plenty of staff but I think it is unreasonable to expect them to stand around all night waiting for people to return from where they have been, or to leave the ship, in the sort of temperatures experienced on these cruises. I guess you have never been on a winter Northern Lights cruise.
I will say no more because I don’t want to become involved in a debate on this issue, especially as you appear to have little concern for the health and well being of the crew who serve us so well. 

We’ve had proper overnights in Amsterdam and the crew were manning the doors all night, they looked very cold at 10pm bless them! I’m guessing they didn’t do very long on the doors on the ‘night shift’.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, devonuk said:

Just got off the Arcadia (J317) to Norway for 12 days and got on board to find out our ‘overnight’ stays in Tromso and Narvik actually departed at 01:30 with a return to the ship at 01:00. We do not (along with lots of others) consider this to be overnight as per our confirmation which blandly stated an ‘early morning’ departure. Before we put pen to paper to follow on from our on board complaint does anyone have any thoughts or information that would help our cause or dissuade us from continuing to complain?

Ultimately we were required to cut short our private northern lights excursion etc. by several hours. 
Also, was the departure of our Captain post cruise preplanned or was this a sudden change perhaps to do with our loss of power in an horrendous storm which caused the azipods to ‘cut out’ which was all very scary 😦 

We recently returned from Arcadia J314 northern lights cruise.  But no, I was under no illusion that it would be a true overnight stay.  They advertise these as 2 days in port normally, but the giveaway for me was the depart early morning wording plus the distances to be travelled would not allow that much time in port.  I assumed we would stay in port long enough for those with evening excursions to look for the northern lights to return back on board.

There were plenty of moaners on board, complaining to anyone who would listen.

For me I got what I booked, plus northern lights on 4 evenings, including one late display that most pax missed that was absolutely stunning.  That 15 minutes was worth every pound we spent.

IMG_2002.JPEG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, pete14 said:

Our recent cruise on Aurora to the north of Norway was the same but I didn’t pick up any adverse comments. I realise it says ‘overnight in port’ but it also says depart early morning’ and that this could be a bit confusing, but I don’t see any real cause for complaint.

I must say that I think it is a bit unfair to expect crew members to man the gangway and scan you back onboard in the early hours of the morning in potentially extreme cold weather.

To me "overnight" means "for the period between sunset and sunrise". Departing at 1:30am is not overnight. As regards manning the gangway, on all the cruises I have taken with an overnight stay the gangway has been manned throughout the ships stay in port. Indeed, in my experience the people most likely to arrive back in the early hours have been off duty crew members taking advantage of the local nightlife, as I would heve done at their age!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

To me "overnight" means "for the period between sunset and sunrise". Departing at 1:30am is not overnight. As regards manning the gangway, on all the cruises I have taken with an overnight stay the gangway has been manned throughout the ships stay in port. Indeed, in my experience the people most likely to arrive back in the early hours have been off duty crew members taking advantage of the local nightlife, as I would heve done at their age!

Too true, in New Orleans our waiter informed us he was out until five that morning.

• Haha 2

Yes, we had an ‘overnight’ in Hamburg where we actually left in the very early hours, I cannot remember when, as I was asleep, but 1am or 2am.  I only found out before the cruise, as I always look up the local cruise port arrival/departure times.  

I do think P&O ought to make these clearer, when an overnight is not a true overnight… we don’t spend most or all of the night in port.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pete14 said:

That’s a bit harsh! ICF works in hospitality so probably knows a lot about working conditions in the industry, 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, pete14 said:

The initial post I replied to suggested the cruiser was in the wrong for taking an excursion that went into the early hours

And wasn't concerned about the health and safety of staff

Your reply suggests I'm not either

Nothing of the sort. If people are outside enjoying excursions safely whilst searching for  the Northern Lights on these cruises then I'm sure with the right clothing etc that anybody working on the ship can be kept perfectly safe and healthy at the same time

Do you imagine that overnight on cruise ships all the staff are warmly tucked into their beds?

There will be all sorts happening overnight. Lots or reasons why staff will be on call to let people on or off the ship as well

Cruise ships are huge operations and just like the largest hotels there will be staff specifically employed to work night shifts as well

It's just life happening

I've  never done an overnight excursion to date on a cruise ship. But if there were reasons to do so in a certain location I wouldn't hesitate

And tbh looking for the Northern Lights seems a good reason to me

And I don't think the poster should be criticised for wanting to do this. Or be made to feel guilty about it at all

And I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for sticking up for the poster either

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 9

We had 3 overnights on a Fred Olsen cruise.  There were people manning the gangways all night and all day.  I imagine they do it on a rota, so hardly a problem.  As for the poster, it shouldn't really say overnight if it's not!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Denarius said:

In total agreement about the crew, on our overnight in Uruguay this year we were wandering back to the ship around 01.30 and saw lots of crew members in various bars enjoying themselves , and why not ,if we could have kept up with them we would have !!! ( we didn't sail until the next evening so it was a true overnight)  

We had an unscheduled overnight in Venice back in 2017, we were late getting into Venice due to thick fog and then the next port Ravenna was cancelled for similar reasons, we arrived at 2pm and left a 3pm following day, wonderful having a wander around Venice in the evening, much quieter. 

That would me my definition of overnight, not leaving just after midnight, which I would consider being a late night departure. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

We recently returned from Arcadia J314 northern lights cruise.  But no, I was under no illusion that it would be a true overnight stay.  They advertise these as 2 days in port normally, but the giveaway for me was the depart early morning wording plus the distances to be travelled would not allow that much time in port.  I assumed we would stay in port long enough for those with evening excursions to look for the northern lights to return back on board.

There were plenty of moaners on board, complaining to anyone who would listen.

For me I got what I booked, plus northern lights on 4 evenings, including one late display that most pax missed that was absolutely stunning.  That 15 minutes was worth every pound we spent.

IMG_2002.JPEG

I've read numerous times that the Northern Lights often look amazing in the photos people take but not so great in person

Your photo is amazing!!

Was it as good as the photo in person?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Yes, we had an ‘overnight’ in Hamburg where we actually left in the very early hours, I cannot remember when, as I was asleep, but 1am or 2am.  I only found out before the cruise, as I always look up the local cruise port arrival/departure times.  

I do think P&O ought to make these clearer, when an overnight is not a true overnight… we don’t spend most or all of the night in port.  

It used to be described as "evening in port", which is more accurate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've read numerous times that the Northern Lights often look amazing in the photos people take but not so great in person

Your photo is amazing!!

Whilst photos always exaggerate what the human eye sees (especially the brightness of the greens), you absolutely can see them as good as that photo and even better with the naked eye if you are lucky.

We had two spectacular showings over two consecutive nights on our first Northern Lights cruise. It had been a bucket list thing for me for decades and we had an experience that I shall never forget (it was up there with a night time Space Shuttle launch that I was lucky enough to be able to watch once at Cape Canaveral).

The second time we went the lights weren’t visible at all. It’s pot luck, although we were incredibly lucky the first time that a major solar flare left the sun a few days before our display, which was the cause of the intensity of display that we saw. I’m not exaggerating when I say that as I got off the coach at the football field in Alta, well away from the light pollution of the ship and town, the entire sky was full of the phenomenon, including greens and reds. Magical. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Your photo is amazing!!

On the first couple of shows, it was more like a smudge on the horizon with iPhone in particular picking up the colour.

But the night when that shot was taken it was spectacular with the naked eye, I took a few with the phone then put it down to watch in awe.

IMG_2001.JPEG

IMG_2005.JPEG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Whilst photos always exaggerate what the human eye sees (especially the brightness of the greens), you absolutely can see them as good as that photo and even better with the naked eye if you are lucky.

We had two spectacular showings over two consecutive nights on our first Northern Lights cruise. It had been a bucket list thing for me for decades and we had an experience that I shall never forget (it was up there with a night time Space Shuttle launch that I was lucky enough to be able to watch once at Cape Canaveral).

The second time we went the lights weren’t visible at all. It’s pot luck, although we were incredibly lucky the first time that a major solar flare left the sun a few days before our display, which was the cause of the intensity of display that we saw. I’m not exaggerating when I say that as I got off the coach at the football field in Alta, well away from the light pollution of the ship and town, the entire sky was full of the phenomenon, including greens and reds. Magical. 

We were lucky on the ship.  We had just turned around the Lofoten Islands from Tromso to Narvik.  The officer of the watch made the usual announcement through the TV etc that the lights were visible, so we wrapped up and headed up to the deck are in front of the gym.  It was heaving with pax, but was a good show.  This subsided and most went back inside somewhere, but a handful of us stayed out to see if it returned.  Right place at the right time, it just erupted overhead of the ship followed by a hasty rushed announcement basically saying get outside quick, you do not want to miss this.

As you say, magical.  Bucket list item ticked off, and never to be forgotten.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So by my reckoning there is a lot of confusion out there re the definition of an ‘overnight’ period. I feel I only really had an evening in port but hey ho as the saying goes ‘buyer beware’ and I will certainly research what I’m actually getting next time. My cruise survey certainly reflected my thoughts. 
On a brighter note all in all it was a good cruise with great food, staff and entertainment but the ship is sadly showing her age and in need of the ‘refit’ she’s getting soon. 
Thanks again everyone for your replies 👏👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, devonuk said:

So by my reckoning there is a lot of confusion out there re the definition of an ‘overnight’ period. I feel I only really had an evening in port but hey ho as the saying goes ‘buyer beware’ and I will certainly research what I’m actually getting next time. My cruise survey certainly reflected my thoughts. 
On a brighter note all in all it was a good cruise with great food, staff and entertainment but the ship is sadly showing her age and in need of the ‘refit’ she’s getting soon. 

Regardless of all the opinions, you personally (and others) felt misled.  At the end of the day, it is up to you if you wish to put pen to paper.  Perhaps at least they will take note and an outside chance they may change their descriptions for future cruisers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, devonuk said:

I just feel rather disappointed in P&O in their lack of clarity. 

It's some time ago now since they stopped giving you definitive port  times eg 8.00 am - 5.00pm which generated a lot of debate on here.  I accept that all manner of events can disrupt that timing, which is perfectly reasonable, but a planned length of time in port is known to P&O (since they have to book a berth) and so it's a deliberate move on their part not to share.  Most other cruise lines do and cruise timetable sites show that - but P&O stick to their vague 'early morning/afternoon' type descriptions. 

Why?  Well perhaps to make it more difficult to plan independent excursions - vague timings could mean 2/3 hours difference in the longest and shortest time you could be in port and fit within those parameters. 

Now we're getting a vague description of 'overnight' and from the posts can see how that means different things in different circumstances and how it's easy to be misled/misinterpret that information. 

I've been alert to the port timings for a long time and try to pick up the actual times from individual port schedules but am grateful to the OP for highlighting this as it will make me careful to determine the difference between overnight and two days in port on any itineraries I may consider.  I'd just assumed the Northern Light itineraries had two days in Tromso (though the sailing distance to the next port wouldn't support that).  I hadn't thought that through.

So thanks for the heads up.  But still disappointed in P&O for the lack of clarity -  it looks like deliberately being vague as has been suggested to encourage passengers to take ship's excursions rather than plan their own.  Not very customer friendly!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1