Travel to Southampton from London Airports

jajsmom

We're about 6 months out from a roundtrip cruise from Southampton.  I've sailed out of Dover, and found flying into Gatwick to be much easier.  So for Southampton, is it better to fly in to Heathrow or Gatwick?  I can flights available for both. We tend to use public transportation.  When I google map it, it's evening in the US, so it's showing me middle of the night options in England.  thanks for your practical experience.

I think general advice would be to go with the flight that suits you best. Not much difference between the two for Southampton. Public transport option are National Express coach from Heathrow, train from Gatwick. 

There is a ’sticky’ at the top of this board for this topic. The new thread doesn’t have much information yet (and got derailed at an early stage!), but there is a link to the older, and long, version which will contain more detailed advice.

You can set a departure time on Google maps, so no need to try and search in the middle of your night 😀

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

9 hours ago, jajsmom said:

We're about 6 months out from a roundtrip cruise from Southampton.  I've sailed out of Dover, and found flying into Gatwick to be much easier.  So for Southampton, is it better to fly in to Heathrow or Gatwick?  I can flights available for both. We tend to use public transportation.  When I google map it, it's evening in the US, so it's showing me middle of the night options in England.  thanks for your practical experience.

Since you're good with public transportation, I would fly into either airport and take transit into London and spend the night before your cruise enjoying the city (or a few nights, if you can).  Stay in the County Hall/Waterloo area.  Then take a train from Waterloo station to Southampton on the morning of your cruise.  Then take a taxi from the Southampton train station to the ship.

The National Express coach to/from Heathrow is the easier option, particularly with luggage.

The current hourly direct train between Gatwick and Southampton may end next year, to be replaced with a half hourly service involving a change of trains en route, which would mean a longer journey and extra hassle.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:41 AM, Cotswold Eagle said:

I think general advice would be to go with the flight that suits you best. Not much difference between the two for Southampton. Public transport option are National Express coach from Heathrow, train from Gatwick.

I have a vague memory that someone has mentioned the possibility (?confirmed) that direct trains between Gatwick and Southampton will have ceased by late June 2024, which is when the OP needs to travel. I can't remember who drew that to our attention, and I can't now find the post. This change would presumably take effect at the beginning of June 2024, when the new timetable comes into force.

ETA: I reckon it must have been gumshoe958! 🙂

50 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I have a vague memory that someone has mentioned the possibility (?confirmed) that direct trains between Gatwick and Southampton will have ceased by late June 2024, which is when the OP needs to travel.

Ah, yes, there was/is a consultation from Southern on that...but, "Passengers between Southampton and Gatwick Airport would have a short, convenient, same-platform connection at Barnham."

• 2 weeks later...

National Express bus direct from Terminal 2/3 also makes a stop at T5. Depending on which hotel you choose & amt of luggage, either walk (Moxy w/ carryon only) or uber. Uber was £5.68 from Moxy to port. That'll be a repeat for me Fall 2024 as well