Acela train or plane to NYC

fozzy

3 hours ago, lindacat said:

I can arrange the car service from any hotel, train station or airport.

The mischievous spirit inside me says to arrange for "free" transportation from South Station, Logan Airport, or a hotel in Boston. But I imagine that there is some type of limit imposed. Whatever that limit happens to be, take free reign over the offer. No need to worry about the cost or duration of the transportation while you balance the cost and convenience of hotels.

What's your hotel budget? Just randomly checking on Marriott (it's where I normally stay) and "most" hotels are running around $600-700 (rounding heavily) for that night. Some are much more. There's a Four Points Sheraton showing up at $289 for three. 40th Between 8th and 9th and not far from either Moynihan or MCT. I'm just hesitant at the price in that market, and I don't see a lot nearby. It's cancellable, so might be something to check out and book while you look.

Mid $600-mid $700 is more common, but those are cancellable rates, and they do sometimes drop. First week of December can be a shoulder season, but all bets are off in Manhattan. 

If you have no chain preference, hit one of the search engines and see what's out there. 

50 minutes ago, markeb said:

Mid $600-mid $700 is more common, but those are cancellable rates, and they do sometimes drop. First week of December can be a shoulder season, but all bets are off in Manhattan. 

Even these cancellable rates will go up for that time period in Manhattan in the beginning/middle of December. I stayed in Midtown a couple weekends ago, the weekend of 12/15-17 (thankfully on points booked way in advance). Checking a couple weeks in advance of our stay (in case prices dropped and it made sense not to use the points) the Four Points was going for $850 a night. The Algonquin (which can sort of give you the midpoint of pricing strategy by Marriott in Manhattan for any given night) was over $1200 a night. Marriott Marquis was pushing $1400 and the St Regis was in the stratosphere at $5500 for a standard room. 

As you said, all bets are off for Manhattan in December. Book early because the pricing fall off you can sometimes see as you get closer to the date tends not to happen during that time of year. 

Edited by princeton123211
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Even these cancellable rates will go up for that time period in Manhattan in the beginning/middle of December. I stayed in Midtown a couple weekends ago, the weekend of 12/15-17 (thankfully on points booked way in advance). Checking a couple weeks in advance of our stay (in case prices dropped and it made sense not to use the points) the Four Points was going for $850 a night. The Algonquin (which can sort of give you the midpoint of pricing strategy by Marriott in Manhattan for any given night) was over $1200 a night. Marriott Marquis was pushing $1400 and the St Regis was in the stratosphere at $5500 for a standard room. 

As you said, all bets are off for Manhattan in December. Book early because the pricing fall off you can sometimes see as you get closer to the date tends not to happen during that time perior. 

Yeah. We're spending three nights at the Michelangelo next week. What I consider a "good rate", $288/night with breakfast. But then the locality fees and taxes kick in...

Didn't look at Marriott on this one. We're eating on the other side of 51st Street one night and in spite of the cost really like the Michelangelo. It was $1400/night for three people on the 6th of December 2024, so I didn't recommend it. It wasn't long ago that you could just check back every week or so and rebook Marriott properties as the prices dropped or the offers got better. Not so much anymore.

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

As you said, all bets are off for Manhattan in December. Book early because the pricing fall off you can sometimes see as you get closer to the date tends not to happen during that time of year. 

A number of sites show good Manhattan hotels for December 2024 at $400+/- per night all in.  Few people on these threads want more than a good clean bed pre-cruise.

Edited by navybankerteacher

17 hours ago, markeb said:

What's your hotel budget? Just randomly checking on Marriott (it's where I normally stay) and "most" hotels are running around $600-700 (rounding heavily) for that night. Some are much more. There's a Four Points Sheraton showing up at $289 for three. 40th Between 8th and 9th and not far from either Moynihan or MCT. I'm just hesitant at the price in that market, and I don't see a lot nearby. It's cancellable, so might be something to check out and book while you look.

If you have no chain preference, hit one of the search engines and see what's out there. 

We have stayed at that 4 Points a few times.  On a nondescript block but really close to the theaters and Hells Kitchen dining and lots of subway stations.

• 2 weeks later...

There are 4 of us disembarking a ship in Boston in July. We need to get to NY to catch our plane back to Australia. Thinking of booking the Acela train to NY. Trying to find out if we can take luggage on board and if Business class travel is worth the money. Would appreciate any input into these questions. Have not been to either cities in America!! So, flying blind!! Thanks for your time. 😇

7 hours ago, slamas said:

There are 4 of us disembarking a ship in Boston in July. We need to get to NY to catch our plane back to Australia. Thinking of booking the Acela train to NY. Trying to find out if we can take luggage on board and if Business class travel is worth the money. Would appreciate any input into these questions. Have not been to either cities in America!! So, flying blind!! Thanks for your time. 😇

Yes to luggage, in my opinion business class isn’t needed, regular is still way nicer than flying.

8 hours ago, slamas said:

For short distances like this I always prefer the train in the Northeast. Husband has always enjoyed the Acela train and the perks that go with first class. He tells me the whole train is considered business class. 

When you arrive in NYC you will still need to get to the airport you are flying out of as the train station, Moynahan Train Hall/NY Penn, is on Manhattan. Taxis are readily available to airports or hotels if you are spending time in NYC before your flight home. The trip to the airports will be at least an hour, perhaps more if there are any traffic issues. 

We always encourage use of the Redcaps (porters) if you have several pieces of luggage. The service is free, but tipping is appropriate. On your way from Boston ask the conductor to call ahead for a redcap to meet the train. Our recent experience is that they not only met us at the train but took us and our luggage to a taxi stand outside the building and helped us secure a taxi. You can also look for the redcap service in the Boston station. This will probably help you get on the train early, without standing in line to board. 

8 hours ago, slamas said:

Business Class on the Acela is a bit of a misnomer. The Acela only has Business and First, but they're are no benefits to Business on the Acela. The Acela is generally faster, I believe more comfortable than the Northeast Regional, and makes fewer stops. You can definitely bring your luggage onboard (per the web page, two bags up to 50 pounds each per person plus a personal item up to 25 pounds). There's Red Cap service available (technically free; tips accepted and more or less expected) at Boston and New York. They'll usually get you on the train first. Notify the conductor you need assistance in NYP and they should get a Red Cap to the track.

All seats on the Acela are reserved, so you select seats during booking and can change them in the app or online. Haven't done it to or from Boston, but travel frequently from Washington to New York and it's a simple, pleasant experience.

• Like 1

Amtrak will tell you "no checked luggage".  All this means is there isn't a baggage car, but you can definitely take all your bags on board with you (or use a Red Cap) and store them over your seat or in the ample space at the end of each train car

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Yes to luggage, in my opinion business class isn’t needed, regular is still way nicer than flying.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. 😇

7 hours ago, spirit rev said:

For short distances like this I always prefer the train in the Northeast. Husband has always enjoyed the Acela train and the perks that go with first class. He tells me the whole train is considered business class. 

When you arrive in NYC you will still need to get to the airport you are flying out of as the train station, Moynahan Train Hall/NY Penn, is on Manhattan. Taxis are readily available to airports or hotels if you are spending time in NYC before your flight home. The trip to the airports will be at least an hour, perhaps more if there are any traffic issues. 

We always encourage use of the Redcaps (porters) if you have several pieces of luggage. The service is free, but tipping is appropriate. On your way from Boston ask the conductor to call ahead for a redcap to meet the train. Our recent experience is that they not only met us at the train but took us and our luggage to a taxi stand outside the building and helped us secure a taxi. You can also look for the redcap service in the Boston station. This will probably help you get on the train early, without standing in line to board. 

Thank so much for your rely. I now have a  uch clearer view of the Acela train now. Looking forward to the trip. 😇

7 hours ago, markeb said:

Business Class on the Acela is a bit of a misnomer. The Acela only has Business and First, but they're are no benefits to Business on the Acela. The Acela is generally faster, I believe more comfortable than the Northeast Regional, and makes fewer stops. You can definitely bring your luggage onboard (per the web page, two bags up to 50 pounds each per person plus a personal item up to 25 pounds). There's Red Cap service available (technically free; tips accepted and more or less expected) at Boston and New York. They'll usually get you on the train first. Notify the conductor you need assistance in NYP and they should get a Red Cap to the track.

All seats on the Acela are reserved, so you select seats during booking and can change them in the app or online. Haven't done it to or from Boston, but travel frequently from Washington to New York and it's a simple, pleasant experience.

Thanks for your information. Appreciated the info on the Business. We were thinking it could be like the commuter trains and it would be noisy and sometimes overcrowded. Think after all the comments the train is the way to go providing more comfort and less stress getting to and from Airports and flying is not one of my favourite passtimes!! 😇

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Amtrak will tell you "no checked luggage".  All this means is there isn't a baggage car, but you can definitely take all your bags on board with you (or use a Red Cap) and store them over your seat or in the ample space at the end of each train car

Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate your time. Will go for the train option. 😇

1 minute ago, slamas said:

Thanks for your information. Appreciated the info on the Business. We were thinking it could be like the commuter trains and it would be noisy and sometimes overcrowded. Think after all the comments the train is the way to go providing more comfort and less stress getting to and from Airports and flying is not one of my favourite passtimes!! 😇

If you do Acela, you can reserve the Quiet Car (Car 2), but YOU have to be prepared to not have conversations either...  😃

With four of you, there are a few seats that face forward and backwards around a table. Again, if you plan on chatting, don't book the quiet car. The rest of us will stare you down and may call the conductor (probably won't need to, they're usually all over that). The quiet car is kind of a big deal...

1 hour ago, markeb said:

If you do Acela, you can reserve the Quiet Car (Car 2), but YOU have to be prepared to not have conversations either...  😃

With four of you, there are a few seats that face forward and backwards around a table. Again, if you plan on chatting, don't book the quiet car. The rest of us will stare you down and may call the conductor (probably won't need to, they're usually all over that). The quiet car is kind of a big deal...

Thanks for that piece of information. We are usually pretty quiet anyway but our friend (female) is pretty loud and I don't think we could not talk for 4 hours. Think we will just go for the 'loud' car. We have been on a quiet car in Australia before and my husband had to ask 2 women to be quiet!! They never shut up for about 2 hours!! Thanks again. 😇