Dress code

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Most people aren't rude enough to genuinely live by the mantra, "I'll do whatever I please!"  Most people want to know what's "average" and how to fit into the crowd (+/- one standard deviation).  Here's what I see MOST PEOPLE wearing on Royal Caribbean -- this is OBSERVATION with very few OPINIONS: 

Regular nights

- On a non-formal night most ladies are in simple sundresses or in black pants + a nice top.  Capris are gone.  Most men are in long pants (or jeans) and only a handful of adult men are in shorts.  Men tend to wear polos or button-down shirts ... a few Hawaiian shirts.  For both men and women, most of the average dinner wear seems to be things that'd be appropriate to wear in an office ... maybe the ladies' hems are a bit shorter and their colors a bit brighter.  

- Whatever most people are wearing, it seems to be neat, clean, not full of holes, etc. 

- Athleti-leisure does not rule the day -- or the dinner; though I did see one whole table wearing shiny, matching pink sweatsuits (men too) and matching ballcaps on a formal night.  Overall, very few adults go into the MDR looking as if they're going to watch a baseball game.  The smattering of hoodies and ballcaps seem to be worn by surly teenagers.  

- Most people wear clothing that the general public would find acceptable (bits and bobs covered, a few bare midriffs here and there), but a few people make odd choices.  I'm thinking of a woman who walked into the MDR ahead of us ... her "pants" were a black thong covered by string pants /literally covering nothing.  I wonder if she was cold sitting on her chair.  These people are memorable but not numerous.  

Formal night

- About 1/3 of the MDR is filled with people who put some effort into dressing up.  The ladies who "go all out" tend to wear short cocktail dresses (95% of them in black -- do they not sell other colors where these people live?).  Most of the men with these ladies wear suits, but a fair number are jacket-less.  Tuxedos are gone.  Kilts are gone.  Military dress is gone.  <and that's a shame.  

- The majority of the MDR diners on formal night are wearing the same thing people wear on non-formal nights:  ladies in sundresses, men in pants/jeans and button-down shirts.  

I agree with the basic premise of your analysis.  Maybe a little off with your statistics/%ages but I don't think you intended them to be spot on, either.

I ALWAYS wear a hat into the MDR or elsewhere and take it off when I sit down, at my dining table, if I remember to.  Most of my family and friends wouldn't recognize me if I didn't have a hat on LOL

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Most people aren't rude enough to genuinely live by the mantra, "I'll do whatever I please!"  Most people want to know what's "average" and how to fit into the crowd (+/- one standard deviation).

Thank you for this, as it sets up my (probably dumb) dress code question perfectly…

Kids’ shoes at dinner. We will be taking our first cruise in January, and while I have nicer pants (khakis) and shirts (button-downs, polos) for my 10 year old son, trying to find dressier shoes to fit his wide feet is ALWAYS a problem. I’ve bought and returned 3-4 pairs in the past year, have one pair that hurts his feet (had to have them for a funeral), and have ordered him another pair to try… but seriously, is it an issue if he just wears his plain gray sneakers for the MDR and Chops? 

17 minutes ago, JSber said:

Thank you for this, as it sets up my (probably dumb) dress code question perfectly…

Kids’ shoes at dinner. We will be taking our first cruise in January, and while I have nicer pants (khakis) and shirts (button-downs, polos) for my 10 year old son, trying to find dressier shoes to fit his wide feet is ALWAYS a problem. I’ve bought and returned 3-4 pairs in the past year, have one pair that hurts his feet (had to have them for a funeral), and have ordered him another pair to try… but seriously, is it an issue if he just wears his plain gray sneakers for the MDR and Chops? 

Sneakers are perfect... for young or old! Gray Sketchers are the only shoe that I pack any longer for a cruise.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JSber said:

I think we're headed for the same problem with my toddler grandson. He's like a puppy ... his hands and feet are over-sized!  

Anyway, back to your question:  Gray or black tennis shoes will be fine for him.  We're talking about fairly new, clean tennis shoes, right?  Not the pair he's been wearing to school and the playground for six months?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JSber said:

is it an issue if he just wears his plain gray sneakers for the MDR and Chops? 

26 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We're talking about fairly new, clean tennis shoes, right?  Not the pair he's been wearing to school and the playground for six months?

Even the pair he's been wearing to school and the playground for six months will be just fine as far as anyone employed by Royal is concerned.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I am late coming back to reply to this, but wanted to thank you all for your responses re my son’s footwear. 🙂 I did end up finding him a new pair of dress shoes that fit well and are comfortable. We also now have some new slip-on boat shoes that he can wear with the back-up pants (khaki “joggers”) if needed. So footwear is good to go! 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 11:46 AM, SRF said:

As to tanks tops on men versus women - Pit Hair. 🙂

Not only pit hair but hairy back, upper arms and shoulders. Too much is exposed.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:09 PM, Morecruisesplz said:

Sneakers are perfect... for young or old! Gray Sketchers are the only shoe that I pack any longer for a cruise.

I would never wear grey sketchers mine are black for the formal nights .

• Haha 2