What Hotel is Crystal using /recommeding in Miami for the January 5th,2024 sailing

SnoBirdCruiser

Does anyone know the answer to this?

The reason I am asking is that I have been told that there are NO Luggage Tags being sent to us.

We will just have to fill them out at the terminal....

Since the bags are usually taken from us OUTSIDE the terminal, let us all hope it is not raining on the 5th.as we stand there and fill them out.

Any suggestions on how to make the tags or where we can purchase similar ones at Staples?

Pat

Hi Pat!

I'm not sure New Crystal recommends hotels.  The one we had before the 2015 world cruise was excellent both in terms of amenities and location...but I cannot recall the name??  I do recall it was easy walking distance to South Beach....

22 minutes ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Does anyone know the answer to this?

The reason I am asking is that I have been told that there are NO Luggage Tags being sent to us.

We will just have to fill them out at the terminal....

Since the bags are usually taken from us OUTSIDE the terminal, let us all hope it is not raining on the 5th.as we stand there and fill them out.

Any suggestions on how to make the tags or where we can purchase similar ones at Staples?

Pat

Do not be concerned about filling out luggage tags on the pier. There are many representatives there. They merely fill in your cabin number on the tag with a big, thick marker and you’re done. Literally takes seconds. Or maybe minutes, depending upon the quantity of luggage you’re checking. 😄😄😄

As long as you have your “airline required address tags” on your bags, you’re all set.

Rob

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Hi Pat!

I'm not sure New Crystal recommends hotels.  The one we had before the 2015 world cruise was excellent both in terms of amenities and location...but I cannot recall the name??  I do recall it was easy walking distance to South Beach....

Good Morning Dwight,

The Pre-WC in 2015 we stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel on Brickell Ave.

Looking forward to seeing you again.Lets get together for a drink or a meal.

We are only on from Miami on the 5th to Feb.3rd in San Diego.

Pat

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Do not be concerned about filling out luggage tags on the pier. There are many representatives there. They merely fill in your cabin number on the tag with a big, thick marker and you’re done. Literally takes seconds. Or maybe minutes, depending upon the quantity of luggage you’re checking. 😄😄😄

As long as you have your “airline required address tags” on your bags, you’re all set.

Rob

Thank you Rob .

Since we are only on for the 31 days all we are taking are 2 pieces of luggage to be tagged ..

Yes we do have address tags on the bags.

Pat

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

It is possible you will have luggage tags for the cruise Pat.

The last time I checked the status they were hoping to have tags for the world cruise.

If not, as Rob notes it will be easy to do them at the terminal in Miami.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I sure hope so, but time will tell.

Will you and Anne Marie be on board?

Haven't seen you since the Inaugural except for the "Trivia" on Zoom.

Pat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seasickgirl said:

My TA told me that the Miami hotel for Crystal is the Mandarin Oriental.  It's $1120.00 for 2 which includes the hotel and transfer to ship on sailing day.

Interesting 🤔 I have read that they are renovating several areas at that hotel.

Ivi

The nice thing about Miami is there are tons of Hotels a short distance from the port including ones in Downtown on and near Brickell Avenue at a wide range of price points.  They include:

These are located about 10 minute drive from the port in downtown with some a few minute walk from lots of restaurants on Brickell.

Four Seasons

JW Marriott 

Hampton Inn

Conrad

Hotel AKA

Novetel

SLS Brickell

Slightly closer to the port but within walking distance of Mary Brickell.

Mandarin Oriental (you can walk over the bridge (low bridge with walkway for pedestrians)

Hyatt

A little closer to the port but still walkable to downtown places mentioned above.

Intercontiental

Epic

Marriott Marquis plus another hotel in the same building.
Holiday Inn

Past the Arena Hilton

If you just want hotel and not visit the downtown area there are a slew of Marriott Brand Hotels within a mile of the Maim Airport.

If you want the beach area and night life you have tons of hotels in South Beach (noisy at night) or Miami Beach.

A more remote area has the Ritz Carlton on Key Biscayne. And they have two other properties one on South Beach and one in Coconut Grove.

As you can imagine price points vary quite a bit but great choice.

And transportation options include taxi, hotel arranging a service for you, taxis, etc.

Eventually people will ask about Fort Lauderdale when the ship starts to use that as its home port for Florida. In my case, we prefer Miami (I know some don't but we do) so we will stay there and on the day of embarkation make our way to the port. 

Also, the Florida Ports of Call Board is terrific for discussions of hotels and things to do in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and for that matter most of Florida.

Our first time staying in Miami (I stayed there when I was young on Family Vacations) was before WC 2007 when the pre cruise hotel and gala was held at the Four Seasons Hotel. This was when they were taking down many of the low rise hotels in Miami and replacing them with large high rises buildings. I hadn't seen more cranes in a city until we visited Dubai.  Things slowed with the great recession only to pick up again a few years later. Lot of new hotels and even the Brickell Shopping Mall didn't open until November 2016 and took awhile to fill with stores and restaurants.

I like to walk so often we would walk from the Four Season, up Brickell, across the bridge and into the port of Miami.  GO to get those steps in.  

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I like to walk so often we would walk from the Four Season, up Brickell, across the bridge and into the port of Miami.  GO to get those steps in.  

Keith

Keith, I run each morning and would like to know if this is a runner friendly area. Like are there sidewalks through Brickell and Biscayne areas? Can you actually run/walk through the port area?

13 minutes ago, Amber14 said:

Keith, I run each morning and would like to know if this is a runner friendly area. Like are there sidewalks through Brickell and Biscayne areas? Can you actually run/walk through the port area?

I have run early in the downtown area and across the bridge into the port area.  

If you are going up Brickell you do have to contend with cross walks/lights.  Or you could start further down by the Intercontinental and run from there to the port and back.  

If you don't start early downtown then you will have to contend with people walking on the side walk although with patience you can get around them. 

When you get across the bridge you have to run across a couple of streets but they are part of the port so not highways to deal with.

Unlike Port Everglades there is no security check point to deal with. 

I hope this helps.  

Another place to run is if you go across the bridge to to the island where the Mandarin Oriental i located there is a nice wide path that goes around that area and I like to walk and run it with nice views of the Bay and some of the cruise ships.

And finally you can head in the other direction from Miami where you go through Coconut Grove and then over to Key Biscayne if you want a long run (you have to get back too) to change things up.

Keith

29 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I have run early in the downtown area and across the bridge into the port area.  

If you are going up Brickell you do have to contend with cross walks/lights.  Or you could start further down by the Intercontinental and run from there to the port and back.  

If you don't start early downtown then you will have to contend with people walking on the side walk although with patience you can get around them. 

When you get across the bridge you have to run across a couple of streets but they are part of the port so not highways to deal with.

Unlike Port Everglades there is no security check point to deal with. 

I hope this helps.  

Another place to run is if you go across the bridge to to the island where the Mandarin Oriental i located there is a nice wide path that goes around that area and I like to walk and run it with nice views of the Bay and some of the cruise ships.

And finally you can head in the other direction from Miami where you go through Coconut Grove and then over to Key Biscayne if you want a long run (you have to get back too) to change things up.

Keith

Thanks, this is most helpful. I was wondering about the security check at the port since we are used to Fort Lauderdale. We have never stayed in this area of Miami. Last year was our first trip to Miami for a cruise and we stayed in South Beach. Looking to stay in a different place this year. When you talk about Key Biscayne, are you talking about the bridge which is labeled 15th St? Can you run/walk all the way across to Miami Beach?

Just now, Amber14 said:

Thanks, this is most helpful. I was wondering about the security check at the port since we are used to Fort Lauderdale. We have never stayed in this area of Miami. Last year was our first trip to Miami for a cruise and we stayed in South Beach. Looking to stay in a different place this year. When you talk about Key Biscayne, are you talking about the bridge which is labeled 15th St? Can you run/walk all the way across to Miami Beach?

I thought this would help.  You don't have to go all the way to Key Biscayne but as far as you think you can do and make it back.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Four+Seasons+Hotel+Miami,+1435+Brickell+Ave,+Miami,+FL+33131/Key+Biscayne,+Florida+33149/@25.7267635,-80.2223109,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b680c8ba8b07:0x494fd6ac4a57e74a!2m2!1d-80.1922639!2d25.7588046!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b5f6594fa365:0xecf8e502280e8ed3!2m2!1d-80.1628248!2d25.693713!3e2?entry=ttu

I've never run from downtown to South Beach and then to Miami Beach because of my concern getting to that Bridge that takes you over there. Too much traffic and not a sidewalk.   What we would do is walk over to the Intercontinental and get a taxi or Uber and drop us off at the beginning of Ocean Drive in South Beach. From there you could run on the side walk up Ocean Drive past those iconic hotels on the left and beach on the right and eventually it turns from side walk to boardwalk and just keep going as far as you want.  Often a goal would be to get to the Fontainebleau Hotel.  We used to go there on family vacations to Florida so it brings back fond memories for me.

Yes I've always wondered why they check cars coming into Port Everglades and not Miami. You would think if there is a security concern at Port Everglades there would be one at the Port Of Miami as well.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I thought this would help.  You don't have to go all the way to Key Biscayne but as far as you think you can do and make it back.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Four+Seasons+Hotel+Miami,+1435+Brickell+Ave,+Miami,+FL+33131/Key+Biscayne,+Florida+33149/@25.7267635,-80.2223109,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b680c8ba8b07:0x494fd6ac4a57e74a!2m2!1d-80.1922639!2d25.7588046!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b5f6594fa365:0xecf8e502280e8ed3!2m2!1d-80.1628248!2d25.693713!3e2?entry=ttu

I've never run from downtown to South Beach and then to Miami Beach because of my concern getting to that Bridge that takes you over there. Too much traffic and not a sidewalk.   What we would do is walk over to the Intercontinental and get a taxi or Uber and drop us off at the beginning of Ocean Drive in South Beach. From there you could run on the side walk up Ocean Drive past those iconic hotels on the left and beach on the right and eventually it turns from side walk to boardwalk and just keep going as far as you want.  Often a goal would be to get to the Fontainebleau Hotel.  We used to go there on family vacations to Florida so it brings back fond memories for me.

Yes I've always wondered why they check cars coming into Port Everglades and not Miami. You would think if there is a security concern at Port Everglades there would be one at the Port Of Miami as well.

Keith

Haha, I'm glad I asked as I totally had the wrong location for Key Biscayne. It looks like a nice run across the bridge. We will probably just keep our hotel in South Beach since I can run on the boardwalk. We only stay in Hiltons as we have points so can't do the Four Seasons. Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I hope this helps.  

Just as an FYI, if that path used to go all the way around the island, it does not at the moment, due to condo construction. We discovered that quite by accident when we did that walk last month. We just assumed it went all the way around, and ended up having to double back. Still a nice walk though.

9 hours ago, Amber14 said:

We will probably just keep our hotel in South Beach since I can run on the boardwalk. We only stay in Hiltons as we have points so can't do the Four Seasons. 

We've stayed at the Hilton Bentley South Beach. We've been very pleased with the property, the accommodations and it's location at the extreme southern end of South Beach, away from the Ocean Drive crowds. Enjoy!

Rob

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, ryndam said:

We've stayed at the Hilton Bentley South Beach. We've been very pleased with the property, the accommodations and it's location at the extreme southern end of South Beach, away from the Ocean Drive crowds. Enjoy!

Rob

Thanks! Last year was our first time in Miami and this is where we stayed. Thought we would try a different Hilton this year but in a similar location...Gabriel South Beach. We loved the Bentley but the Gabriel looks a little smaller. It was so fun to walk down to the Park and see the cruise ships come in. We will be doing that again this year.

On 12/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, Amber14 said:

Thanks! Last year was our first time in Miami and this is where we stayed. Thought we would try a different Hilton this year but in a similar location...Gabriel South Beach. We loved the Bentley but the Gabriel looks a little smaller. It was so fun to walk down to the Park and see the cruise ships come in. We will be doing that again this year.

For a quick history of this property...it opened in 1937 as the Park Central Hotel. My grandparents used to spend their winters at the Park Central in the 1960's. They would take the Florida Special from Penn Station in NYC to Miami while either my dad or my uncle would drive their car from NYC down to Miami Beach. (Grandma didn't like the 2-3 day car trip, but the overnight train trip was okay!) Sometime in the Spring they'd all do the trip in reverse back up to NYC. While rummaging through some old boxes of pics, I found some old B&W pics of that hotel from the 1960's. It was a pretty basic property by then, certainly not the luxury of the Fontainebleau or Eden Roc.

The hotel went through several renovations and subsequent owners during past 50+ years. I hope you enjoy the history of the property and your stay next month!

Rob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ryndam said:

For a quick history of this property...it opened in 1937 as the Park Central Hotel. My grandparents used to spend their winters at the Park Central in the 1960's. They would take the Florida Special from Penn Station in NYC to Miami while either my dad or my uncle would drive their car from NYC down to Miami Beach. (Grandma didn't like the 2-3 day car trip, but the overnight train trip was okay!) Sometime in the Spring they'd all do the trip in reverse back up to NYC. While rummaging through some old boxes of pics, I found some old B&W pics of that hotel from the 1960's. It was a pretty basic property by then, certainly not the luxury of the Fontainebleau or Eden Roc.

The hotel went through several renovations and subsequent owners during past 50+ years. I hope you enjoy the history of the property and your stay next month!

Rob

When I was booking the hotel and looked at pictures I was wondering why the lettering on the front of the hotel said Park Central Hotel. What great memories of your family & this hotel. I can't believe your grandparents spent the winter in the hotel. I would have loved to have seen what this part of Miami looked like back then. Just like your grandparents, we are taking the train from VA to Miami for our cruise in Jan. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me about this hotel. It will definitely make it more special.