The Trip Begins- Cartagena-Lima- Fort Lauderdale on the Nova

ronrick1943

To is the crossing though the Panama Canal.  This is are 5th trip with a transit, so nothing really for us, it is something everyone  should see during their life time.  We’re using the day to relax on the deck and watch the transit, scenery.  Most likely have lunch on the deck as it’s warm, not really hot.

Other than that not much to report…………

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

The Spa.  It’s very nice and welcoming.  We’ve had a few treatments so far, all very good-in fact really nice.  The pricing some think is high, but it’s really no more than at a good resort.  Besides Champagne they have favored water and little treats.  The staff A+.

IMG_0311.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

Is there lounge chairs or just chairs to relax in before and after your treatment?  From pictures on other SSC ships it looks like there are really lovely relaxation areas.  This space appears very bright?  Also..  are there showers in the locker room?  I saw that the jetted jacuzzi

pool with the large window is coed.. but unclear if sauna and other amenities are.  TIA!

1 hour ago, Kalscruise said:

Is there lounge chairs or just chairs to relax in before and after your treatment?  From pictures on other SSC ships it looks like there are really lovely relaxation areas.  This space appears very bright?  Also..  are there showers in the locker room?  I saw that the jetted jacuzzi

pool with the large window is coed.. but unclear if sauna and other amenities are.  TIA!

Yes they do, but we arrived just before are appointment.  So we sat in the general lobby area and filled out a short questionnaire that the therapist will go over with.  We were taken right away into the room for the treatment.  The rooms are big with a private shower.  I’m not sure about the sauna because we didn’t use it.  They champagne.and other little treats beside flavored water with real fruit (type that is serviced at The Art’s Cafe”.  They have a pool and the typical amenities of any good resort.

• Thanks 1

I don’t want to start rumors however, yesterday they started asking people to use the sanitizer or wash basin before entering the restaurants.  If you ask why, the answer is for safety.  We always do anyway, but others haven’t.  No code was called, or reason given.  Actually, I had wished they did this from the beginning of the cruise.  We boarded December 11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hesitate to say this, but we disembarked in Lima on the 19th and there was a LOT of coughing on board. One woman in Observation Lounge was coughing, sneezing and blowing her nose. lots of coughing on transfer bus departing Lima.

We both tested positive for COVID one and two days after returning home.

We did not go to shows and skipped excursions the last 10 days, and we don’t dine with others.

In hindsight, I wish we had avoided any shared elevators and had masked up on the transfer.

Just use precaution as you see fit.

While we were on board (Dec. 4-19) there was no enforcement of washing or sanitizing.

Edited by broker1217

50 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I hesitate to say this, but we disembarked in Lima on the 19th and there was a LOT of coughing on board. One woman in Observation Lounge was coughing, sneezing and blowing her nose. lots of coughing on transfer bus departing Lima.

We both tested positive for COVID one and two days after returning home.

We did not go to shows and skipped excursions the last 10 days, and we don’t dine with others.

In hindsight, I wish we had avoided any shared elevators and had masked up on the transfer.

Just use precaution as you see fit.

While we were on board (Dec. 4-19) there was no enforcement of washing or sanitizing.

Thanks for the information, sorry to hear you had to suffer because some else feels more important-and just continues their cruise without concern for others.

Broker: that is why we don’t care what others think.  We still wear mask when necessary, and always use sanitize hand cleaners. When we fly we still wipe down all around us, if someone coughs we put on mask.  And we never take the ships transfer,  we always stay a few days before are return home.  That way when we disembark the ship, we are the last people off and don’t stand in the line nor the crowded customs area.  Few luggage is left, so to standing around.  It’s just the way we travel now.  You can see by the photo below we are serious.  We do have more in the closet drawers.  And we don’t care what others think about us, we want to be safe.

IMG_0314.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We know it’s a risk we take to travel, especially during holidays.

Just be aware that it is out there and do what you choose to stay safe.

I feel the busses and airports are a real risk factor, and would mask up for those.

But we will survive, and will continue traveling internationally in less than 2 weeks (albeit masked at airport and on planes).

lol-we have the same supplies! And we don’t care what others think either.

We have wiped down our tray tables on planes for years, and wash our hands after leaving planes and when returning to our cabin. Use the stairs and avoid handrails. So we are atypical cruisers as we simply spend time with one another and enjoy the verandah.

We were in a bit of a pickle leaving Lima since the port area is so unsafe, so we did the ship transfers to whatever hotel they used, then took a taxi to our day hotel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I don’t want to start rumors however, yesterday they started asking people to use the sanitizer or wash basin before entering the restaurants.  If you ask why, the answer is for safety.  We always do anyway, but others haven’t.  No code was called, or reason given.  Actually, I had wished they did this from the beginning of the cruise.  We boarded December 11.

It's a shame they haven't been enforcing this all along. The hand wash setup at La Terraza is very sleek and just takes a few seconds.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

It's a shame they haven't been enforcing this all along. The hand wash setup at La Terraza is very sleek and just takes a few seconds.  

Yes, I loved how it was set up at the entrance and soap, water and towels were touchless. Great set up.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Sorry for distracting ronrick-enjoying your thread and photos immensely!Keep up the good work and enjoy the Otium Suite! 
That verandah hot tub-wow!

It has been fun.  We are enjoy the trip and thanks for your comments. 

Today the deck was truly special, even though we’ve gone through the canal a few times it’s always fun to watch the happenings around. We enjoy the back of the ship as we get a as we get a full view of what we’re leaving behind. I’ll add some photos very soon we got some we got some interesting shots of a few ships behind us. I know on the side of us..

• Like 1

if you recall, I told you that room service was really good and we had a club sandwich that was outstanding including hot french fries. We ordered late that evening, maybe that is the secret to the hot food. this evening we decided not to go out and just have room service again. This time we ordered early and it wasn’t the same club sandwich. This time the sandwiches made a little differently, and the sand was cold as the french fries.  service was stellar again. Of course her Butler did a perfect job but once he left, it is what it is.  maybe being a little unfair. The sandwich really wasn’t cold, but it certainly wasn’t warm. Maybe we could say on the cool side(LOL)😁

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Today the deck was truly special, even though we’ve gone through the canal a few times it’s always fun to watch the happenings around. We enjoy the back of the ship as we get a as we get a full view of what we’re leaving behind. I’ll add some photos very soon we got some we got some interesting shots of a few ships behind us. I know on the side of us..

We've been through the Canal once:  Princess took us through the Gatun Locks, then they tendered us to the Ferry that goes the rest of the way and bused us back to the ship (which was then in Colón).  We will be going all the way through on Windstar Pride in about a year – and I look forward to that.  But after that ... I've been questioning whether there's any real point to sailing through again – unless it is to get somewhere, not just a Caribbean cruise that brings you closer to the PTY airport at huge expense vs a bus from Colón.  So it's good to read your opinion that it is still worthwhile.

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We've been through the Canal once:  Princess took us through the Gatun Locks, then they tendered us to the Ferry that goes the rest of the way and bused us back to the ship (which was then in Colón).  We will be going all the way through on Windstar Pride in about a year – and I look forward to that.  But after that ... I've been questioning whether there's any real point to sailing through again – unless it is to get somewhere, not just a Caribbean cruise that brings you closer to the PTY airport at huge expense vs a bus from Colón.  So it's good to read your opinion that it is still worthwhile.

See the photo’s I just added.  They really don’t give it justice-We had a ship following us, seeing it higher an only maybe a football field way was truly spectacular.  We when thought it at night once because of a delay—total different perspective.

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

See the photo’s I just added.  They really don’t give it justice-We had a ship following us, seeing it higher an only maybe a football field way was truly spectacular.  We when thought it at night once because of a delay—total different perspective.

The post above mine that announces photos doesn't have any attachments...

When we went through on the Ferry, we didn't fill a lock so we shared it with a private sailboat.  That was a very interesting contrast...

P1000251.jpeg.51ce4f6ed2fd2ebf16b83ec371be337c.jpeg

• Like 1

just a comment, the service is a little inconsistent in room service. it seems if your butler brings it. Everything is done perfectly, however if someone else is helping out, they just set the tray down and walk out. On Regent if someone is working with Butler or helping, they do it exactly the same way the Butler would.. maybe it’s training or maybe it’s lack of care on Silversea but it needs to be corrected. Service should be the same every day that you’re on the ship and be consistent.. I realize this sounds harsh but that’s what you’re paying for: service.

Today is a bust day for the crew as it’s debarkation day for about 100 plus cruisers.  We’ll be docking at 1PM this afternoon.  They say they have about the same amount boarding today.  We’ll be leaving the ship about 2:00PM as we have a cooking class in Cartagena at the Sky Kitchen School.  It’s a half day evening class, so we cook are own dinner at the school (has nothing to do with Silversea).  We overnight here in Cartagena.  We’ll come back to the ship late this evening.  They say we were full this last section of the cruise, but Silversea crew did a good job, because it didn’t fill full and you didn’t have any wait times.  The weather has been holing up pretty good, no rain but warm to hot.  And the sea has been smooth since we got on the ship on December 11.  Now we’ll have to see how it is during the crossing home.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 4