Disembarkation across P & O

Poppy6879

17 minutes ago, david63 said:

It may be simple for you but for many trying to handle one large case and hand luggage can prove difficult.

Well true, but we are 76 an 85.  Dragging a wheeled suitcase is not that difficult unless you are wheelchair bound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Well true, but we are 76 an 85.  Dragging a wheeled suitcase is not that difficult unless you are wheelchair bound.

Or walk with a stick or have other medical issues that might make dragging a suitcase off a shop and some distance across the air bridge to baggage hall at Southampton. You do not have to be wheelchair bound.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Or walk with a stick or have other medical issues that might make dragging a suitcase off a shop and some distance across the air bridge to baggage hall at Southampton. You do not have to be wheelchair bound.

Yes agree.  But an awful lot of folk could take far less baggage than they do.   4 cases each for a 19 night cruise is just ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree.  But an awful lot of folk could take far less baggage than they do.   4 cases each for a 19 night cruise is just ridiculous.

Disagree maximum allowance is 23kg one each more than reasonable especially when dresses, suits, shoes, are added into the mix. Definitely help's with fly cruises. 7 nights we usually take 2 any more than that then we go with 4.

Edited by carlanthony24

To be contentious I would stop self disembarkation because all it does is slow everyone else down. Those who are self disembarking monopolise the lifts with their cases which in turn means that other passengers cannot get up/down for breakfast. If there was no self disembarkation then I would make a guess that the "normal" disembarkation would be a lot smoother. Also any passenger with anything larger than a small wheelie case would have to wait until all other passengers had disembarked - a bit like the controlling of embarkation, but in reverse!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, david63 said:

To be contentious I would stop self disembarkation because all it does is slow everyone else down. Those who are self disembarking monopolise the lifts with their cases which in turn means that other passengers cannot get up/down for breakfast. If there was no self disembarkation then I would make a guess that the "normal" disembarkation would be a lot smoother. Also any passenger with anything larger than a small wheelie case would have to wait until all other passengers had disembarked - a bit like the controlling of embarkation, but in reverse!

There was no queue for lifts and nobody being disturbed by us.  
As I said above, the crowds were all the people sitting in all the areas with their carry on stuff waiting for their turn to get off.  We got in the lift, nobody else around and when we got off, there was nobody around either.  We were off at 8 am.    Now this is Aurora.  I have no idea what it would be like on one of the big ships.  We have always done it this way and never had a problem.

Edited by jeanlyon

On 12/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, david63 said:

There were no queues when we self disembarked at 7am.  It was a godsend as we are naturally early risers and to be away on the roads before the general chaos begins were just superb.

Self disembarkers had until 7.45 to leave the ship.  I reckon that if they are not of the ship by then they should be held back in the theatre (or some other large holding area) until the ship is empty as punishment.

• Like 5

On 12/17/2023 at 11:25 AM, jeanlyon said:

As I said above, the crowds were all the people sitting in all the areas with their carry on stuff waiting for their turn to get off.  We got in the lift, nobody else around and when we got off, there was nobody around either.  We were off at 8 am.    Now this is Aurora.  I have no idea what it would be like on one of the big ships.  We have always done it this way and never had a problem.

Our easiest disembarkation recently has been on Iona. The key is they have 2 air bridges and two exits. BTW I do not get assistance.

9 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

There were no queues when we self disembarked at 7am.  It was a godsend as we are naturally early risers and to be away on the roads before the general chaos begins were just superb.

Self disembarkers had until 7.45 to leave the ship.  I reckon that if they are not of the ship by then they should be held back in the theatre (or some other large holding area) until the ship is empty as punishment.

If there is nobody around what difference does it make if self-disembarkers get off at 8 am.  Nobody else has an 8 am disembark?

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

If there is nobody around what difference does it make if self-disembarkers get off at 8 am.  Nobody else has an 8 am disembark?

But there are other people around - those going to/from breakfast or just going to their waiting area that cannot get up/down in the lifts because those who are self disembarking are lugging their cases around and taking up space in the lifts that other passengers could use. One case in a lift equates to one passenger.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, david63 said:

But there are other people around - those going to/from breakfast or just going to their waiting area that cannot get up/down in the lifts because those who are self disembarking are lugging their cases around and taking up space in the lifts that other passengers could use. One case in a lift equates to one passenger.

To be fair these people can walk up/down stairs a lot easier than anyone with a suitcase.

Regards John

1 hour ago, david63 said:

If you know you will be finishing your breakfast after 8:00am, then a quick word with your steward to check if its OK to leave your coats and hand luggage in the wardrobe, will mean you dont need to drag all your luggage to breakfast, and for the able bodied you could use the stairs.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Sorry to disagree Jean, but there’s a reason that they ask those who self disembark to be off the ship by 7.45am. The last time to vacate your cabin (for those using normal disembarkation) is 8am. Unlike those who elect to self disembark, we aren’t in a rush on disembarkation morning, so we tend not to leave our cabin until the 8am deadline. Due to my wife’s wheelchair we have no choice but to use the lifts and disembarkation morning is always the most difficult time to get a lift. In fact it can be a complete nightmare, as almost everyone uses a lift as they are carrying hand luggage and it can take some time to get a lift. So to say that there is no one around might be true at the exit ramp, but not getting there as the rest of us are trying to get to breakfast etc.

Those who have elected to self disembark and are encumbered with full cases etc should be well out of the way by 8am and not getting in the way of those who are doing the normal disembarkation procedures. You can’t have it both ways!

• Like 7

I think the huge majority of passengers who choose to self-disembark do so to get off and away from the peak Southampton traffic and home in a less stressful manner.  I think that any number of passengers who intend to disembark late are not going to choose the self=disembarkation system as you end up with all your luggage wherever you go.  If you do spot peoplelate on with suitcases this may well be their residual luggage load.

Regards John

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 7:06 PM, terrierjohn said:

But I am amazed at how much hand luggage some passengers disembark with. I try to send everything I don't need in my large cases, and only have the minimum of hand luggage in one small case.

Gave me a little chuckle.

Just got off Ventura.  SIL was with us on this one.  She had four bags to carry off in addition to the case she collected in the hall.  Ok, one was a handbag, a large one though.  Then three fairly decent shopper/carrier type things.  Combination of spending copious amounts on Spa products, Christmas booze in Gib, stuff for grandkids and general squandering.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Gave me a little chuckle.

Just got off Ventura.  SIL was with us on this one.  She had four bags to carry off in addition to the case she collected in the hall.  Ok, one was a handbag, a large one though.  Then three fairly decent shopper/carrier type things.  Combination of spending copious amounts on Spa products, Christmas booze in Gib, stuff for grandkids and general squandering.

I try and work out what I shall be wearing on disembarkation and wear the same clothes in the evening. Work toiletries down to nothing and walk off with any thing left in my pockets.  If you are planning Christmas Shopping cruises I think an organised person would embark with the clothes etc. in a medium size suitcase and put that in a matching large case. Lots of ullage for purchases.

Regards John.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, john watson said:

I try and work out what I shall be wearing on disembarkation and wear the same clothes in the evening. Work toiletries down to nothing and walk off with any thing left in my pockets.  If you are planning Christmas Shopping cruises I think an organised person would embark with the clothes etc. in a medium size suitcase and put that in a matching large case. Lots of ullage for purchases.

Regards John.

I have never thought of that and I am loving the concept. I have now acquired 3 bags on wheels over the years that I end up buying on the last day so I can pack all the extra stuff in and not have to carry it off and just send with my luggage. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Sorry to disagree Jean, but there’s a reason that they ask those who self disembark to be off the ship by 7.45am. The last time to vacate your cabin (for those using normal disembarkation) is 8am. Unlike those who elect to self disembark, we aren’t in a rush on disembarkation morning, so we tend not to leave our cabin until the 8am deadline. Due to my wife’s wheelchair we have no choice but to use the lifts and disembarkation morning is always the most difficult time to get a lift. In fact it can be a complete nightmare, as almost everyone uses a lift as they are carrying hand luggage and it can take some time to get a lift. So to say that there is no one around might be true at the exit ramp, but not getting there as the rest of us are trying to get to breakfast etc.

Those who have elected to self disembark and are encumbered with full cases etc should be well out of the way by 8am and not getting in the way of those who are doing the normal disembarkation procedures. You can’t have it both ways!

Selbourne, when is the first disembarkation time for those who do not self-disembark?  I think it is 9 am.  I did say we are off by 8.  I have not yet ever encountered a problem in the lifts.  Now again, this is Aurora and we are usually on D deck, so not having a long way to ride, but we have actually never encountered anybody and never waited for a lift.

Edited by jeanlyon

On 12/17/2023 at 11:25 AM, jeanlyon said:

We are in no rush to get off. Nice leisurely breakfast, down to the baggage hall as late as we can, easy to spot the cases, car park getting empty. Home in an hour. Let All the self disembarked get off about 6.00am. They have busy things to do in their busy lives. Let us sloths have a little more space.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Selbourne, when is the first disembarkation time for those who do not self-disembark?  I think it is 9 am.  I did say we are off by 8.  I have not yet ever encountered a problem in the lifts.  Now again, this is Aurora and we are usually on D deck, so not having a long way to ride, but we have actually never encountered anybody and never waited for a lift.

Jean, with respect, you are missing the point. The issue is not about disembarkation times, it’s about cabin vacation time. Like others, we are in no rush to get off, but we do have to use a lift to get to breakfast. As the latest time to vacate cabins is 8am, the period between 7.45 and 8am is always going to be a time of peak demand for lifts. Thats why P&O want those who self disembark to be off the ship by 7.45am at the absolute latest, so that they (and their cases) are out of the way for this. 

You are perfectly within your rights to use self disembarkation (one of our daughters did it last time and was full of praise about it) but to opt for it and then not be off the ship very early and be taking up lift space with cases when those of us who have not opted for that facility are trying to use it is unfair IMHO. Most of our cruises have been on Aurora and getting a lift on the morning of disembarkation has always been a nightmare for us as, with the wheelchair, we need considerably more room than you do. I hadn’t ever considered that one of the reasons that we struggle is that those who opted for self disembarkation might be getting off later than the designated time window. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We normally request 8:30 disembarkation time,  and that is not the earliest, however that is assuming a planned arrival time of 6:00am.  Normally by 9:30 the ship is beginning to look empty. Generally self disembarkation is 7:00-7:45.

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Jean, with respect, you are missing the point. The issue is not about disembarkation times, it’s about cabin vacation time. Like others, we are in no rush to get off, but we do have to use a lift to get to breakfast. As the latest time to vacate cabins is 8am, the period between 7.45 and 8am is always going to be a time of peak demand for lifts. Thats why P&O want those who self disembark to be off the ship by 7.45am at the absolute latest, so that they (and their cases) are out of the way for this. 

You are perfectly within your rights to use self disembarkation (one of our daughters did it last time and was full of praise about it) but to opt for it and then not be off the ship very early and be taking up lift space with cases when those of us who have not opted for that facility are trying to use it is unfair IMHO. Most of our cruises have been on Aurora and getting a lift on the morning of disembarkation has always been a nightmare for us as, with the wheelchair, we need considerably more room than you do. I hadn’t ever considered that one of the reasons that we struggle is that those who opted for self disembarkation might be getting off later than the designated time window. 

OK, so just to repeat, we have done this for years and never encountered anyone wanting to get a lift at that time.  In fact, it was deserted.  We were out of the cabin before 8, just got off the ship at 8.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Let All the self disembarked get off about 6.00am

That might be difficult as the ship quite often doesn't dock until 06:00 - but self disembarkation should then be 06:30 to 07:00 and then anyone with anything larger than a small wheelie case is made to go to the "naught step" until everyone else is off.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, so just to repeat, we have done this for years and never encountered anyone wanting to get a lift at that time.  In fact, it was deserted.  We were out of the cabin before 8, just got off the ship at 8.

I’m amazed Jean. That’s always been the most challenging time of the whole cruise for us to get lifts!