Comparing two Holland America itineraries

maureenk

Hello all, I've read through a lot of fjord itinerary questions and answers and am still searching for a good itinerary for Sept. '24.  Interested in seeing fjords and interesting cities.  It's unfortunate that the first one goes back to Rotterdam mid-way effectively creating a 14 day itinerary from two 7 day itineraries as well as making more sea days.  Is the second half of option one a good overview of Norway?  The second option visits Scotland with fewer sea days.  Does option two have good Norway stops? (sorry for the bolded words  - I'm unable to unbold.  There's no significance to the bold.)  Thanks in advance for your help! - Maureen

One

Rotterdam

Sea

Oslo

Kristiansand

Stavanger

Skjolden

Sea

Rotterdam

Sea

Eidfjord  

Alesand

Geiranger

Bergen

Sea

Rotterdam

Two

Amsterdam

Sea

Alesand

Honningsvag

Tromso

Leknes

Sea

Lerwick

Portree

Invergorden

South Queensferry

Sea

Amsterstam

Trondheim

1 hour ago, maureenk said:

Hello all, I've read through a lot of fjord itinerary questions and answers and am still searching for a good itinerary for Sept. '24.  Interested in seeing fjords and interesting cities.  It's unfortunate that the first one goes back to Rotterdam mid-way effectively creating a 14 day itinerary from two 7 day itineraries as well as making more sea days.  Is the second half of option one a good overview of Norway?  The second option visits Scotland with fewer sea days.  Does option two have good Norway stops? (sorry for the bolded words  - I'm unable to unbold.  There's no significance to the bold.)  Thanks in advance for your help! - Maureen

One

Rotterdam

Sea

Oslo

Kristiansand

Stavanger

Skjolden

Sea

Rotterdam

Sea

Eidfjord  

Alesand

Geiranger

Bergen

Sea

Rotterdam

Two

Amsterdam

Sea

Alesand

Honningsvag

Tromso

Leknes

Sea

Lerwick

Portree

Invergorden

South Queensferry

Sea

Amsterstam

Trondheim

The second itinerary does not have a single deep fjord. 

13 hours ago, maureenk said:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Only the first cruise can be characterized as a Norway cruise. In my opinion, one deep fjord to Geiranger - four good coastal cities: Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Ålesund and three less interesting ports: Skjolden, Eidfjord and Kristiansand - but overall a nice itinerary.

The second cruise has three interesting Norwegian ports to the Arctic  but no deep fjords. Honningsvåg is at the North Cape and Leknes on the Lofoten Islands as well as Tromsø.
Ålesund is a nice coastal town. Also an interesting itinerary but would be more interesting in June/July with midnight sun on the arctic part of the cruise.

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

Only the first cruise can be characterized as a Norway cruise. In my opinion, one deep fjord to Geiranger - four good coastal cities: Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Ålesund and three less interesting ports: Skjolden, Eidfjord and Kristiansand - but overall a nice itinerary.

The second cruise has three interesting Norwegian ports to the Arctic  but no deep fjords. Honningsvåg is at the North Cape and Leknes on the Lofoten Islands as well as Tromsø.
Ålesund is a nice coastal town. Also an interesting itinerary but would be more interesting in June/July with midnight sun on the arctic part of the cruise.

Hellasm - I really appreciate your reply and your input!  You certain seem to the cruise critic resident expert on the area!  Not knowing the area, do any of the ports offer excursions into other deep fjords?  We are particularly interested in scenery and outdoors. We are active so are thinking that the large ship, which we have experienced quite a bit, would provide for more activity than the very small hurtigruten ships. 

Itinerary one has some fjord sailings to Geiranger, Skjolden and Eidfjord- possible excursion from Stavanger to Lysefjord.

Itinerary two has limited opportunity - You can arrange an excursion to Geiranger from Ålesund - Will take 8 hours and depending on arrival/ departure time in Ålesund. 
There may also be opportunities from Leknes.

The size of the ship has no significance when it comes to the Norwegian fjords. Even the largest cruise ships can sail the deep Norwegian fjords.

Edited by hallasm

11 hours ago, hallasm said:

Only the first cruise can be characterized as a Norway cruise

I assume you mean specifically a Norwegian fjord cruise, in which case I definitely agree.

The second focuses more on Arctic Norway (along with Scotland), which is well worth visiting but not the iconic fjord scenery, which most people associate with Norway.

The second half of the first cruise is a really great itinerary for a short cruise. The first half adds some variety with the two larger cities and the south coastal flavor of Kristiansand, but if you’re interested in the classic fjord scenery, you probably wouldn’t go wrong booking just the second of the two back-to-back sailings.

Do keep in mind that September is extremely late for this region, so a lot of the summer tourism infrastructure (especially in the smaller towns) may already be closed for the season.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:49 PM, maureenk said:

Interested in seeing fjords and interesting cities.

S. Queensferry is one of the port locations for Edinburgh (an interesting city). The second itinerary has  a few ports in Scotland, also Amsterdam, (another interesting city) but you didn't mention having a special interest in either country, and if you have none, and  you really only want Norway, the first would be better.

Edited by edinburgher