Main Dining Room Food

mcrcruiser

If you have cruised recently on HAL ships what is your opinion of the food quality & number of selections  for dinner   Please add the Lido in to the mix for selection  &  quality  . We will be cruising in 3 months on Koningsdam 

Thanks in advance for your replies 

Just off the K last week.  We found the food ok-good in all areas.  It seems they have reduced the number of selections in the MDR, but lido had plenty of things to choose from.  I don't eat seafood, so sometimes had trouble finding something I liked.  But if seafood is your choice, then plenty of options.

I suggest you follow this very interesting thread which focus on the food on a different Pinnacle class ship.  Chefs rotate but HAL dictates the menus which are remarkable similar except for the Port to Table items which are specific to the country in which you are sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We got off the Koningsdam a couple of weeks ago. We thought the food in MDR, lido and elsewhere was very good to excellent.  The choices were slightly limited but not a deal breaker.  I especially enjoyed the seafood, beef and Italian dishes.  We've been averaging 2 cruises a year since the early 80's - mostly on Princess.

Got off NS yesterday and was also on the 2 weeks prior to drydock - food was consistently good. Prior to drydock, most dining was in Lido; this past 2 weeks most was in MDR and occasional CO.

DH ate a lot of seafood and said it was good.

Thnks for your  posts . My DW likes fish so she will find it pleasing  .I do not like fish  so I may be limited . I am hoping that the Lido has carved roast beef  with hot vegetable sides  .That is my speed  .I also will eat sussi  ,Calif rolls only  .amy salad works for me / Then I can find decent deserts ,if it is the Lido

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thnks for your  posts . My DW likes fish so she will find it pleasing  .I do not like fish  so I may be limited . I am hoping that the Lido has carved roast beef  with hot vegetable sides  .That is my speed  .I also will eat sussi  ,Calif rolls only  .amy salad works for me / Then I can find decent deserts ,if it is the Lido

I don't eat seafood and had no trouble finding wonderful things to eat - even in Tamarind. 

Yes, there was always a carving station with beef or pork in Lido and the desserts were plentiful.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic @Jessi39!

We were on the Volendam for 81 days and mainly ate in the MDR.  We were very pleased with the selections and the quality of the food even when we were 10+ days at sea after leaving Ushuia until we got to Argentina.  We didn't notice any shortages and the food quality was excellent, I am quite fussy.  I had to return a cold starter once and another time I ordered and returned the roast chicken as it came out gray, pretty good record for probably 50 dinners in the MDR.  We had an exceptional Spanish chef and the entrees in the Lido were good too.   

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 4

Food is extremely subjective, so this is my personal opinion only.  I'm not a picky eater and enjoy a wide variety of food, so this colors my outlook.

On my recent 14-day cruise, I thought the food in the MDR was really good.  There was only one night I thought it was mediocre.  The selection seemed credible.  There was always a salmon entree, a steak entree, a vegetarian entree, and a chicken entree.  The other four entrees rotated around a number of things and I thought they were a cut above the others.  There was always a starter that I wanted and half the time I ordered two starters because I couldn't decide between them.

I never eat in the Lido for dinner, but I love the Asian station for lunch.  Especially the sushi.