Time to do Mendenhall Glacier on your own?

bundtkate

My husband and I are (perhaps unwisely) trying to cram as many of the "must do" excursions as we can into our Alaska trip in early June next year. Right now, we have the Tracy Arm excursion booked through HAL, as well as a combo glacier and whale watching tour, but my understanding is that the combo tours don't get that close to the glacier. I'd like to cancel that excursion and do the hike up to the glacier on our own so we can see it up close, then do whale watching on its own after, but I'm not sure that's doable timing-wise. The Tracy Arm excursion is listed as leaving from the ship at 9am and lasting 6 hours, which would leave us arriving in Juneau at 3pm. Our ship departs at 10pm so I assume all aboard is 9 or 9:30pm. Husband and I are both in our 30s and in good shape so we should be relatively speedy hikers. We also don't typically eat lunch so we won't mind missing it. Is doing both at all feasible? In the end, I'm happy to stick with what we've got. After all, we'll probably be back one day, but I'm sure the glacier recedes more each year so I'd like to do what we can to fit in an up-close visit.

There is no easy way to hike to the glacier.  You can take a taxi to the Skater’s Hut on the other side of the lake and hike the West Glacier trail 3.5 miles to an overlook.  After that it is a few miles of scrambling to reach the glacier itself, and not recommended unless you have good equipment and backcountry experience.

https://www.alaska.org/detail/west-glacier-trail-mendenhall-glacier#:~:text=The main trail leads about,injured and then requiring rescue.

If you are doing Tracy Arm, skip Mendenhall. It will be underwhelming after Tracy Arm.

It is underwhelming to me with out Tracy Arm. It really has receded so much. 

If you go back to Alaska, take a tour where you land on Mendenhall as opposed to going there vis car/taxi/bus.

Edited by Coral

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 7:15 AM, Coral said:

If you are doing Tracy Arm, skip Mendenhall. It will be underwhelming after Tracy Arm.

It is underwhelming to me with out Tracy Arm. It really has receded so much. 

If you go back to Alaska, take a tour where you land on Mendenhall as opposed to going there vis car/taxi/bus.

We have a combo photo safari whale watch and Mendenhall glacier hike thru Gastunea … no time with our afternoon arrival to do Tracy arm.  do you think the short hike is still enjoyable?  We are going to glacier bay another day & also doing a heli dog sled in Skagway- but were hoping the little walk at mendenhall is still worth doing.  

As mentioned, the hike from the visitor's center does not get you close to the glacier.  It takes you to Nugget Falls, which is impressive, but you're still a good distance from the glacier.  

West Glacier hike was mentioned.  I do not recommend it.  I hiked that trail last summer and while the trail itself is not bad, you have to go off trail to get to the glacier's edge, and it is not safe.  The glacier has receded enough that the approach is dangerous.  People have died on that hike.  

4 hours ago, Figg1437 said:

We have a combo photo safari whale watch and Mendenhall glacier hike thru Gastunea … no time with our afternoon arrival to do Tracy arm.  do you think the short hike is still enjoyable?  We are going to glacier bay another day & also doing a heli dog sled in Skagway- but were hoping the little walk at mendenhall is still worth doing.  

I actually have not been on that tour (Gastuneau) but people rave about it. If anything it is a small group size (which I prefer) and gives you both Mendenhall and whale watching (might as well combine the two since they are on the same part of town). I don't exactly know which path they hike so I can't comment on that.

You have a good range of shore excursions with the helicopter dog sledding. I think that is going to be your favorite excursion.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 8:08 PM, bundtkate said:

My husband and I are (perhaps unwisely) trying to cram as many of the "must do" excursions as we can into our Alaska trip in early June next year. Right now, we have the Tracy Arm excursion booked through HAL, as well as a combo glacier and whale watching tour, but my understanding is that the combo tours don't get that close to the glacier. I'd like to cancel that excursion and do the hike up to the glacier on our own so we can see it up close, then do whale watching on its own after, but I'm not sure that's doable timing-wise. The Tracy Arm excursion is listed as leaving from the ship at 9am and lasting 6 hours, which would leave us arriving in Juneau at 3pm. Our ship departs at 10pm so I assume all aboard is 9 or 9:30pm. Husband and I are both in our 30s and in good shape so we should be relatively speedy hikers. We also don't typically eat lunch so we won't mind missing it. Is doing both at all feasible? In the end, I'm happy to stick with what we've got. After all, we'll probably be back one day, but I'm sure the glacier recedes more each year so I'd like to do what we can to fit in an up-close visit.

omg.  I'm trying to figure out almost the exact same thing.   When are you there? 

3 hours ago, Parissa said:

When are you there?

We are sailing June 1-8, round trip from Vancouver. We'll be in Juneau on the 3rd. FWIW, we heeded advice here that on our own wouldn't be wise starting at 3pm so we chose to keep the combo tour, but it ended up getting canceled and replaced with a different one that didn't include lunch and yet cost more than the original. At the new price, it was only $100pp extra to take the helicopter trip and actually land on the glacier so we decided to forego whales and both brave our fears (flying for me and heights for my husband) and spend the cash for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Way we see it, both whales and glacier will be there next time, but the glacier is getting smaller and less impressive every day so best we seize our chance now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

We are sailing June 1-8, round trip from Vancouver. We'll be in Juneau on the 3rd. FWIW, we heeded advice here that on our own wouldn't be wise starting at 3pm so we chose to keep the combo tour, but it ended up getting canceled and replaced with a different one that didn't include lunch and yet cost more than the original. At the new price, it was only $100pp extra to take the helicopter trip and actually land on the glacier so we decided to forego whales and both brave our fears (flying for me and heights for my husband) and spend the cash for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Way we see it, both whales and glacier will be there next time, but the glacier is getting smaller and less impressive every day so best we seize our chance now.

Landing on the glacier in juneau is one of my favorite excursions.  Incredible to walk on it. I don't think you will regret it.

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2024 at 8:34 PM, bundtkate said:

I would also like to do the Tracy Arm excursion and one of the helicopter Mendenhall Glacier excursions in Juneau. Glad to hear there is someone else attempting this. I was also concerned about the timing but have not done much research yet since we have not booked. The service call in Tracey Arm on Zaandam is also 9:00-9:30 am, then to Juneau and in port until 10 pm. Would we arrive in Juneau at around 3pm? Curious about the timing of your helicopter landing excursion & how this works logistically? Thx. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Would we arrive in Juneau at around 3pm? Curious about the timing of your helicopter landing excursion & how this works logistically? Thx.

I'm on Koningsdam so maybe a bit different, but HAL wouldn't let me book a 3:15pm glacier landing and said it conflicted. By my math, I think the Tracey Arm excursion should arrive back in Juneau around 3, but HAL seems to want a bigger buffer than 15 minutes (which is fair). I ended up booking third party because HAL had no available landings leaving after 3:15pm at the time I booked. Assuming that you want to book through HAL, don't waffle and book early. There were landings leaving at 4 and 4:30 at least. I just missed out even though I was still 5 months out. When they say Alaska excursions go early, they mean it! 😅

Edited by bundtkate
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

I'm on Koningsdam so maybe a bit different, but HAL wouldn't let me book a 3:15pm glacier landing and said it conflicted. By my math, I think the Tracey Arm excursion should arrive back in Juneau around 3, but HAL seems to want a bigger buffer than 15 minutes (which is fair). I ended up booking third party because HAL had no available landings leaving after 3:15pm at the time I booked. Assuming that you want to book through HAL, don't waffle and book early. There were landings leaving at 4 and 4:30 at least. I just missed out even though I was still 5 months out. When they say Alaska excursions go early, they mean it! 😅

Ah, I see. I was thinking I might end up needing to look at a 3rd party booking as well. Would you mind sharing who you ended up booking with? Thanks! 

15 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Would you mind sharing who you ended up booking with?

I can totally do that, but since I'm not sailing until June, I can't say whether or not I'd actually recommend these folks at this stage. I ended up booking through Alaska Shore Excursions. They have a number of helicopter tours and I went with one through Coastal Helicopters that lands on Herbert glacier instead of Mendenhall, basically because the timing and price were right. Since then, I've read that Herbert is a little farther away and thus a less popular choice so it could be nice for less crowding on the glacier and more scenery from the air, but maybe worse because the ride takes longer so less time actually on the glacier. We'll see, I guess!

• Thanks 1