Any snorkeling trips without the stingrays?

jean87510

Just as the title says.  We usually walk to Eden Rock and snorkel there but this time we are looking at snorkeling trips.  Since it is just the 2 of us, we obviously are not chartering a boat.  I have looked at dive shops and their snorkeling trips unfortunately all leave before we dock at 11am and/or are on certain days of the week.  The ship does offer the Kittiwake but we are trying to avoid the ship tours because of the amount of people and the snorkeling vests.  Has anyone been on any snorkeling trips without the stingrays?  We have no interest in holding or taking pictures.  

If you go to the Kittiwake website, they list all the operators that have tours there.  I’d look for a company that does Kittiwake snorkels mainly because it’s on a different side of the island than Stingray City, so operators usually don’t combine the two spots.

The other option is DIYing a different shore snorkel spot, there’s a good reef by Burger King and another by the Cracked Conch.  You could bus/taxi there easily if you have your own gear.  Although Cracked Conch may rent gear, you could check with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bookbabe said:

If you go to the Kittiwake website, they list all the operators that have tours there.  I’d look for a company that does Kittiwake snorkels mainly because it’s on a different side of the island than Stingray City, so operators usually don’t combine the two spots.

The other option is DIYing a different shore snorkel spot, there’s a good reef by Burger King and another by the Cracked Conch.  You could bus/taxi there easily if you have your own gear.  Although Cracked Conch may rent gear, you could check with them.

We have tried a few times with the dive shops for Kittiwake but it never works with our schedule.  We have done the cracked conch plus the reef near Cemetary beach.  It's really tough to find any business that will skip the stingrays.  I also have to watch out that they don't just take us near Eden!  

At this point, we may stick with the ship excursion to Kittiwake and walk over to Eden.  Unless I can get an actual referral of a business that has snorkeling trips without the stingrays.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 9:22 AM, bookbabe said:

DH says Cheeseburger reef by Burger King is better than the one by Cemetery Beach, so that’s maybe an option if you end up DIYing.

Is there an actual beach there where we could rent chairs and an umbrella?

7 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

Is there an actual beach there where we could rent chairs and an umbrella?

Nope, I don’t think so.  Called Cheeseburger Reef ‘cause the entry point is in the Burger King parking lot.  

Good snorkeling spots generally aren’t at fabulous sandy beaches.  Smith Cove is the only spot i can think of that’s got okay beach and okay snorkeling, but no rentals.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I have a 3 lb tent we bring with us to these types of places which we put in our snorkeling/wet bags.  We also have our water bottles with us plus we usually will stop at a convenience or supermarket for some bagged snacks.  I personally dont like bringing food off of ship so a bag of chips, doritos, or pretzels usually works with us.  When we are done, there is an excellent Gelato place in town we always go to before we get on the ship.  

We have some time so we are looking at some other alternatives.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

My husband and I have a 3 lb tent we bring with us to these types of places which we put in our snorkeling/wet bags.  We also have our water bottles with us plus we usually will stop at a convenience or supermarket for some bagged snacks.  I personally dont like bringing food off of ship so a bag of chips, doritos, or pretzels usually works with us.  When we are done, there is an excellent Gelato place in town we always go to before we get on the ship.  

We have some time so we are looking at some other alternatives.  

If you haven’t visited Smith Cove, try there.  Opposite direction from SMB from the cruise port.

6 hours ago, bookbabe said:

If you haven’t visited Smith Cove, try there.  Opposite direction from SMB from the cruise port.

We have.  It is pretty good.  We walked there and back.  Loved the turtles!

Once we took the bus to Spotts beach which was nice.