Freedom of the Seas Running Track

smajy

The track is one deck above the pool deck. It circles the pool for a good portion of its length. There are lounge chairs on both sides of the track when you are circling the pool. In other places there are either no loungers or they are only on one side. The track is two lanes wide, one lane is for walking and one lane is for running/jogging. There will be times when people are clogging both lanes, not paying attention. A simple "excuse me" or "on your right" will usually get people to move. It is a lot less crowded in the morning hours. Once activities begin around the pool, it will become more crowded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smajy said:

Afternoon all - I know that Freedom has a running track, but any insight from past cruisers as to how crowded that deck is? 

No matter the ship, I start my walk at 6 AM and done by 7:30 AM. Never crowed at those times. Anytime after 7:30 the track gets busy. Especially on sea days. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of early rising so if I'm running outdoors I do it early evening after people start heading off for early dining as it's usually quite quiet then. However that only works if you eat dinner later.

Apart from the dedicated track on Oasis class ships I usually find ship tracks to be too short to comfortably do a proper session so if you're a serious runner you may find you're better off using the treadmill for the few days you're on board.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, doghog said:

Agree. Celebrity's E class ships have the best tracks. Longer and with inclines and declines. No loungers to worry about either. 

Thank you. That's very handy to know. I haven't sailed Celebrity yet but it's on the radar!

Edited by FionaMG
Sp.

10 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I'm not a fan of early rising so if I'm running outdoors I do it early evening after people start heading off for early dining as it's usually quite quiet then. However that only works if you eat dinner later.

Apart from the dedicated track on Oasis class ships I usually find ship tracks to be too short to comfortably do a proper session so if you're a serious runner you may find you're better off using the treadmill for the few days you're on board.

I agree. Good way to guarantee no traffic or lounge chairs to dodge. 🙂 The view are great, but that is probably the only enjoyable part of running the track. 

• Like 1

I was on Freedom two weeks ago and walked three miles every day on the walking track. I walked every day around 11 AM and didn’t have any issues with crowds. On a side note, I am on Independence right now and didn’t get to walk on the track today because deck 13 was closed due to high winds. 

We did Freedom a few years ago and I looked back at my data to confirm .  Only did treadmills since the track is pretty short and not as conducive to a run.  It was a 5 day cruise so was able to get in 10 miles the day of embarking and 12 after.  Shorter runs might work but there are some tighter spots/corners that can interfere with steady pace.  Really the Quantum and Oasis class allow for more steady run.  If you are looking to go longer or specific paces the gym and treadmills work best on Freedom and they have a nice view from the top front of the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwkings said:

We did Freedom a few years ago and I looked back at my data to confirm .  Only did treadmills since the track is pretty short and not as conducive to a run.  It was a 5 day cruise so was able to get in 10 miles the day of embarking and 12 after.  Shorter runs might work but there are some tighter spots/corners that can interfere with steady pace.  Really the Quantum and Oasis class allow for more steady run.  If you are looking to go longer or specific paces the gym and treadmills work best on Freedom and they have a nice view from the top front of the ship.

This, exactly. And good for twisting a knee or an ankle on, as well as the risk of losing your balance and slipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! I’m an intense runner and love being outdoors as it’s quite icy back home. Will try the late afternoon run at first, due to 830 dining, and see how it goes. If not, treadmill it is. Appreciate it!

14 hours ago, Ksmaj said:

Thank you all! I’m an intense runner and love being outdoors as it’s quite icy back home. Will try the late afternoon run at first, due to 830 dining, and see how it goes. If not, treadmill it is. Appreciate it!

If you are on a Quantum or Oasis class ship you should be fine.