Is it better to cancel or No-Show 2nd passenger in cabin?

billsfan3150

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If I was a solo cruiser, I would be just as unhappy as would be/are many others. But, industry data is data. 

And thus, squeezing profit from any opportunity is exactly what O is doing. So, what is “nonsense” is disputing the lost revenue motivation (numbers don’t lie) to do what is perceived by some to be unfair.

O is a business and it banks on the good results of its decisions outweighing the bad. It’s worked for them for two decades. (Haven’t you noticed that O policy/practice/promotion changes are few and far between (e.g., O Life vs SM)?

Of course, IMO, there is still one major unknown factor: FDR Jr is not FDR Sr. And I get an unverified sense that he may prefer heading in directions that establish his own identity rather than “staying the course.”. Yes, he grew up in the O family. But, O is not HIS “baby.” Needless to say, that could be beneficial/detrimental to customers/regulars or not. Time will tell.

I have never seen a solo single supplement greater than 100% (i.e., twice the pp double occupancy fare). 
Happy new year everyone.

• Like 1

Unfortunately my sorority sister I traveled with the last 20 years got cancer and  had to file for insurance at the last minute due to chemo. She missed 3 cruises over the last 1 1/2 years and I paid nothing extra. Oceana just changed the reservation to my name only. My TA got the info to my sister to so she could file insurance. Not sure where any extra charges are coming from. It was very straight forward for us. Julia

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bradpole said:

I don't doubt Oceania makes money from onboard spend, but it has to be a much smaller percentage compared to the mainstream lines.  Sometimes there just isn't anything to spend your money on once onboard an Oceania ship compared to Carnival, Royal, Princess, etc...  

Specialty dining, coffee, soda, better quality pastries, ice cream, photos, more and larger gift shops, $10 watches, inch of gold, art auctions, etc...  Thinking back to my last RCL cruise there are countless tables setup on boarding day to get you spend, not to mention a table setup here and there during the cruise for impulse purchases.  

I am not an extravagant spender at all but I have no problem spending money on Oceania.  Drinks and an occasional visit to the spa. I have cruised on Royal and other than specialty dining I don’t spend more there than I do on Oceania. 

I do understand from a business standpoint why Oceania charges a single supplement, as they should. It’s because of lost revenue from onboard spending. 

33 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I do understand from a business standpoint why Oceania charges a single supplement, as they should. It’s because of lost revenue from onboard spending. 

I do not believe  it is from  lost onboard  spending

Many pax  do not  spend anything onboard

If you do not drink alcohol  or book ships shore excursions  or go to the spa  & get PPG   

Do you get   charged extra??

JMO

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not believe  it is from  lost onboard  spending

Many pax  do not  spend anything onboard

If you do not drink alcohol  or book ships shore excursions  or go to the spa  & get PPG   

Do you get   charged extra??

JMO

It’s the legitimate potential that revenue will be lost from that passenger not onboard. Even if they don’t spend much on drinks or whatever, there is still the daily gratuity fee per person. 
I do believe that MOST passengers will spend $ onboard the ship. 
Just My Opinion. 

My friend was on the August 18th cruise and her travelling companion cancelled 2 days before departure.  There was no extra cost to my friend and all the OBC which would have been shared reverted back to my friend.

@LHT- maybe the question should be "will someone who was charged extra when other person cancelled, please post?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

@LHT- maybe the question should be "will someone who was charged extra when other person cancelled, please post?"

yes good point

so far no one that has  had the other person in the cabin  cancel have been charged extra  for now being  a solo

As per my post #29

so far  we have  not been charged anything extra  for not spending OUR own money onboard

Usually all our expenses have been covered by  OBC   from O Club  or TA

JME