When is the best time to book a Viking Ocean cruise to avoid heafty cancellation penalties?

islandwoman

We've sailed a lot of cruises, but only one on Viking and that was a river cruise.  We're currently considering Viking Ocean, but are put off by their cancellation policy, especially for their long cruises which are our preference.  When is the best time to book a Viking cruise - late enough to reduce the possibility of having to cancel, but still with a good choice of cabins?

OK, in case someone would ask, we prefer verandas or better, low decks and aft or midships. (never on high decks or far forward)

You can cancel your Viking cruise 120 days or more prior to departure for just $100 per person.  Cabin availability is anyone’s guess.  Suggest you check the website periodically and take the leap when you feel you can’t wait any longer.  We ❤️ Viking, hope you will too!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

You can cancel your Viking cruise 120 days or more prior to departure for just $100 per person.  Cabin availability is anyone’s guess.  Suggest you check the website periodically and take the leap when you feel you can’t wait any longer.  We ❤️ Viking, hope you will too!

Just FYI, the timing and penalty varies with the length of the cruise. I have a 35 day trip that costs $1000 up to 180 days prior. 

You’re correct for shorter trips. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Just FYI, the timing and penalty varies with the length of the cruise. I have a 35 day trip that costs $1000 up to 180 days prior. 

You’re correct for shorter trips. 🍺🥌

Sorry.  I just looked at our invoice (trip is 28 days).

Islandwoman, maybe contact Viking re specifics for your itinerary.  

The further out you book, the better your chances of getting exactly the cabin you want. Viking cruises do fill up quickly but there can be a spate of cancellations just prior to when cancellations kick in. 

Cancellation grids (from https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf:

image.png.73f15dbaffe8fc3a10f8868d8767ce3d.png

image.png.a3ef0d5e086d5cc8e32624a7b36c2b41.png

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The further out you book, the better your chances of getting exactly the cabin you want. Viking cruises do fill up quickly but there can be a spate of cancellations just prior to when cancellations kick in.

With other cruise lines, I would book soon after the cruise is posted to get the best cabin, but a lot can happen in two years and I hate to lose a thousand dollars.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Cancellation grids (from https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf:

image.png.73f15dbaffe8fc3a10f8868d8767ce3d.png

image.png.a3ef0d5e086d5cc8e32624a7b36c2b41.png

We usually book our Viking cruises soon after they become available.   We know the itineraries we like. We always get the location we want.  We have saved a lot of $$$ by doing it this way.

Just one example from our current bookings: we have a cruise booked for April 2024, which we booked in November 2021.  We were able to reserve the location we wanted and today it is 65% more expensive and they are offering a $1900 air incentive.  I think our price for this cruise is much better.

We also have just booked a cruise for 2026.  We asked our agent at Viking to alert us when the 2026 VO cruises would be posted and told her the stateroom we were interested in.  She called me last week and had already reserved the stateroom.  We booked it and she transferred the booking to our TA.  It will be a while before we see the price increase on that particular booking.

Edited by millybess
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, formernuke said:

Cruise insurance can help, depending on the circumstances (or if you spring for "Cancel at any time" coverage)

I will look into cruise insurance But the last time I checked it, our age made it more expensive than any cancellation penalty. 

59 minutes ago, millybess said:

We usually book our Viking cruises soon after they become available.   We know the itineraries we like. We always get the location we want.  We have saved a lot of $$$ by doing it this way.

Just one example from our current bookings: we have a cruise booked for April 2024, which we booked in November 2021.  We were able to reserve the location we wanted and today it is 65% more expensive and they are offering a $1900 air incentive.  I think our price for this cruise is much better.

If Viking raises prices so much between when the cruise becomes available and "when cancellations kick in"  (I'm guessing that's just before final payment date?)  then it would be worth risking $1,000 to save 65% on an expensive cruise. Unfortunately we are at the age where we shouldn't buy green bananas.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, islandwoman said:

If Viking raises prices so much between when the cruise becomes available and "when cancellations kick in"  (I'm guessing that's just before final payment date?)  then it would be worth risking $1,000 to save 65% on an expensive cruise. Unfortunately we are at the age where we shouldn't buy green bananas.

Haha.  I love your "green bananas" analogy.

No, your guess about the raised prices before FIP is inaccurate in our case.  Although, on some itineraries, it might be more accurate.   Our booking went up in price by about 30% 8 months after booking; 52% 16 months after booking, etc., etc.  I'm one of those people who just has to look, whether it's good or bad news. 😉

We purchase adequate insurance, so your analogy doesn't fit here.

24 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

then it would be worth risking $1,000 to save 65% on an expensive cruise. Unfortunately we are at the age where we shouldn't buy green bananas.

These last several months it has only been a risk of $25 per person, which has caused me to book four cruises between Feb. 24 and April 25.  We don’t usually buy “green bananas” either! (Thanks to Jim Avery’s mother for this chestnut).   But remember final payment is only 6 months out if you have another cruise booked or book onboard.  A first time cruiser might have to make final payment a year + in advance.  And, at our ages, we think it is all the more reason to buy travel insurance!  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

So I just went and looked at our sailing prices.  Our cruise usually hovers between "sold out" and 1-3 cabins left.  There are currently 2 cabins left.  The DV2 is slightly less than we paid for a PS and the PV1 substantially more.  

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

Wow!  Huge differences.   I’m looking at Malta for 2026.  Maybe I should just book it.  But even my Dogsitter has begun saying to me for these years off cruises, “I hope we are all still viable by then!”

That is so true for everyone.  Good insurance is the key.

• Like 1

I believe if you buy insurance with Viking and you cancel you will forfeit the entire insurance premium. We have purchased insurance via Trip Insurance Store.com for our current cruise and you can pay at a later date for most of the policy depending on when the cancellation charges go into effect.

I have seen some posts on Cruise Critic from people who were upset when they cancelled and lost the insurance premium.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emptynesters38 said:

I believe if you buy insurance with Viking and you cancel you will forfeit the entire insurance premium. We have purchased insurance via Trip Insurance Store.com for our current cruise and you can pay at a later date for most of the policy depending on when the cancellation charges go into effect.

I have seen some posts on Cruise Critic from people who were upset when they cancelled and lost the insurance premium.

We don’t (or maybe Canadians can’t?) buy insurance from Viking. There are travel companies who will refund your premium or roll it over to another cruise. We used to have a relationship with these travel companies years ago, but found their service abysmal and we are now enjoying the service of a more personal TA and a forthright relationship with a travel insurance company.

We pay a minimal amount to lock in CFAR within 5 days of the original booking. The balance is due when we pay the final payment to Viking and at that time we can decide whether or not to pay the extra for CFAR. For us, it’s worth a few extra dollars. 

5 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I sense you may have some inexperience with Viking, despite your extensive cruise history, and I would recommend a discussion with a knowledgeable TA who books frequently with them and knows a bit about cancellation insurance. 

First, it’s been my experience that Viking’s cancellation penalties are generally in line with many other (not all) cruise lines, especially for longer voyages. Your $1000 penalty at 180 days is not overly different than Oceania, Regent or HAL grand voyages. 

To counteract the $1000 penalty, you can buy cancellation insurance for that amount when you book. The cost will be minimal in comparison, CFAR is more of course. If you go ahead with the cruise, you can increase your coverage as needed when you hit the increased cancellation penalties. 

As @millybess says, early booking can pay handsomely when pricing increases.  

Secondly, be aware that for a first time client, Viking requires very early payment in full - often 12-14 months before sailing. This is NOT the same as when cancellation penalties kick in, but it’s a different consideration. 

Hope that helps a bit. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

First, it’s been my experience that Viking’s cancellation penalties are generally in line with many other (not all) cruise lines, especially for longer voyages. Your $1000 penalty at 180 days is not overly different than Oceania, Regent or HAL grand voyages. 

According to HAL's website, https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/legal-privacy/cruise-contract , "VOYAGES 25 NIGHTS OR LONGER, PLUS GRAND WORLD, GRAND VOYAGES, ANY SEGMENT OF A GRAND WORLD OR GRAND VOYAGE:
Cancellations through 120 days commencing travel: 100% refund"

Viking's cancellation policy for voyages 35 days or more https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf  is

Written Notice received 180 or more Days Prior to Departure
Cancellation fee Per Passenger $1,000.00

I read Viking's cancellation policy as saying that the cancellation fee of $1,000 per passenger applies from the day of booking through 180 days prior to sailing.  Whereas HAL gives a 100% refund from the day of booking through 120 days prior to sailing

2 hours ago, islandwoman said:

According to HAL's website, https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/legal-privacy/cruise-contract , "VOYAGES 25 NIGHTS OR LONGER, PLUS GRAND WORLD, GRAND VOYAGES, ANY SEGMENT OF A GRAND WORLD OR GRAND VOYAGE:
Cancellations through 120 days commencing travel: 100% refund"

Viking's cancellation policy for voyages 35 days or more https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf  is

Written Notice received 180 or more Days Prior to Departure
Cancellation fee Per Passenger $1,000.00

I read Viking's cancellation policy as saying that the cancellation fee of $1,000 per passenger applies from the day of booking through 180 days prior to sailing.  Whereas HAL gives a 100% refund from the day of booking through 120 days prior to sailing

Thanks for the link - I see that HAL has relaxed their restrictions just last month and I’d not seen it. 🍺🥌