Live Neptune TA Dec.12 -23

mariners

7 hours ago, deec said:

Kent,  What are some of the differences for Mars, Neptune and Saturn.  Have not been on any of those.  Will be on Neptune in May.

Do you have anything booked yet on the very new Vela?

No new Vela booked, Dee.

They seem to be concentrating on the Norway cruises (totally understandable) and Europe.  They are doing Malta in late 2025 I see.  Most of the Vela itineraries sadly do not interest us or would be repeats.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Linda - on our Saturn, Mars, and now Neptune cruises this year - there were signs asking to go clockwise.  It was even put in the Viking Daily's several times.

Interesting…you were on Saturn in May (?) and we in July. Maybe some of those counterclockwise Neanderthals stole the signs! 😎🫣

• Haha 1

The Captain had a very difficult announcement to make yesterday at noon.  Our port stop in Bermuda had to be cancelled due to the weather conditions that are affecting the Island.  He, rightly, stated that safety must come first and foremost, and the port authorities, as well as the Captain, determined it would not be possible for the Neptune to make it into port.  Although I did hear a few passengers grumbling about the missed port, everyone I had a lengthier conversation with took it in stride and plan to enjoy themselves onboard.

The Captain is going to take a more southerly tracking in an attempt to have the ship sail in better weather. It might be a couple of days until we sail out of this system.  However, if one looks at the charts and marine forecasts, there are lots of different systems out there, and many places all over the world are being affected by adverse weather (or earthquakes, volcanoes erupting, flooding, etc.), so things might change at any time.

My heart goes out to the crew/staff who are working despite feeling ill.  They do not have the luxury of phoning in sick.  Instead, what I see is the crew and staff supporting each other.  It’s one of the reasons that Viking Ocean impresses me. 

The crew and staff are a team and everyone from the top down seems to pitch in when necessary.  The only cruise lines we have sailed where we have seen the same respect, encouragement, and camaraderie were on Windstar and Crystal.   

Watching crew/staff carry full trays when the sea is rough is truly an awe inspiring experience.  I can’t even manage to complete my standing exercises without losing my balance. I wonder if they use balance balls, or similar, in their training?

Every day, we are trying to change things up a bit, as well as keep with some of our routines.  Yesterday, we had our first breakfast onboard and chose to go to the Restaurant.  It was a great choice, and I might have to break my rule of only having one breakfast on a cruise.  The Eggs Benedict were scrumptious, but I also wanted to have the lamb chops.  As that would have been too much at one sitting, going back a second time seems to be the only option. 

As we went for breakfast, we skipped lunch, and chose to go to the Afternoon Tea.  What a delight!  The only change that I will make next time I go for tea is to go to Mamsen’s for the soup later in the evening as we still were not hungry at dinner time, and I had forgotten about the option of going to Mamsen’s.  (I know there is always the option of room service, but I save that for special occasions or for when I self-quarantine.)

I’m not sure what choices we will make today.  For me, most things will be weather dependent.  If I can spend time outdoors, that will be my choice.  Although we have some blue sky with clouds right now, the sea remains rough and the wind continues to provide “white noise” through our sliding door.   

Regardless of what we do, we know that it will be another wonderful day onboard the ship.  Its’ great to be at sea!

• Like 4

Kent, on some of our cruises, they have requested that passengers who jog go in one direction, and passengers who walk go in the opposite direction.  The reason that they gave is because so many people now wear headphones (ear buds) and don't hear people who are requesting to pass, but they do see them if they are coming in a different direction. 

As well, according to some of the fitness instructors who led the walks on different cruises, they change the arrow direction half way through the walk as the movement from the sea often makes one put more pressure on one leg and that can create hip and knee issues.

Finally, I know passengers who only walk one side of a deck depending upon whether they want to be in the sun, or have to stay in the shade.

I guess each cruise line does things differently, and it's a great idea for them to put the information in the daily program. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2023 at 12:20 PM, CCWineLover said:

The staff is so good, it's almost embarrassing.  Today they helped us move cabins (6015 to 6077).  They tried to fix the issue with the sliding balcony door but could not and are going to have to replace the whole door frame in FLL.  So nice of the stewards too to help us change rooms.  Above and beyond the call of duty!   Our ship is full they said, with just 3 spare rooms for emergencies.

We are having a lot of popping and cracking from the sliding glass door / frame as well. They came and looked once, but it is very annoying, esp at night. Guess I'll go back to guest services. Who did you speak with? We'd like to get this resolved.

Edited by BobCatter

1 hour ago, BobCatter said:

We are having a lot of popping and cracking from the sliding glass door / frame as well. They came and looked once, but it is very annoying, esp at night. Guess I'll go back to guest services. Who did you speak with? We'd like to get this resolved.

I looked on spreadsheet and see you are just 2 doors down from us.  The steward who helped us move is yours as well.  Stopped by room just now and see a host of Viking fix it people at your room - you you obviously got someone’s attention.  Good luck!  Wonder if it is as bad as ours was.  
we’ll have to connect sometime!

Kent

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I looked on spreadsheet and see you are just 2 doors down from us.  The steward who helped us move is yours as well.  Stopped by room just now and see a host of Viking fix it people at your room - you you obviously got someone’s attention.  Good luck!  Wonder if it is as bad as ours was.  
we’ll have to connect sometime!

Kent

We are doing lectures this morning. Hopefully they’ll get it sorted. Were on for several more months so we’ll keep on them. 

Connecting would be great!

I am not able to post the other photos as CC has denied access to my phone and my iPad.  My laptop has denied access to load files to CC.  I am no techie and cannot figure out what is going on and why it is happening so photos will have to wait.

However, today has been a wonderful surprise so far as we have had mainly blue sky and sunshine.  Deck 8 was open for walking, but Deck 2 remains closed.  There must have been a lot of people who read CCWineLovers post as today was the first day that I saw most people following the instructions he posted. 

BobCatter, I hope they managed to fix your sliding door.

2 hours ago, BobCatter said:

We are doing lectures this morning. Hopefully they’ll get it sorted. Were on for several more months so we’ll keep on them. 

Connecting would be great!

I think I saw you at Sues lecture.  We were down in front of you in first row.  May have met Celeste going to breakfast as she was bringing food back to your room. 😉

• Like 1

Of course going clockwise keeps you away from the rails if you keep right when walking/jogging as in the USA, whereas those of us from the UK who keep left would be nearest the rails.  We have the same problem on the stairs, as we keep left for that too.  

Airports seem to have adopted keep right too even in the UK as we are in the minority worldwide.  We septuagenarians take a time to adapt, so please forgive us onboard.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, deec said:

I don't remember an "Associate General Manager". previously...maybe never paid attention.  I hope we have the chef one day!

Dee - we just finished the galley tour with Satheesh.  Really interesting.  He has 100 cooks working for him.  He is very good, professional, business/logistics oriented.  Knows what he’s doing.  He’ll be doing the World Cruise.   We all thanked him for the very noticeable superior dishes onboard (vs other cruises)!

• Like 2

Maybe there should be some sort of quality control if the food is only superior on World cruises, where they get the best chefs.   Should apply to all cruises.   Head or Executive chefs should be trained to set the required standard, as the food is now a hit or miss in the Restaurant on some cruises.  My first cruise was good, second was not great, my 3rd is a 32 day Circumnavigation of Australia .  For the high price of this cruise, I am hoping for improvement.  This cruise is not sold in segments and at the moment is a one off.   I am a Viking fan, but have not got my head buried in the sand.  Oceania, Seabourn are now very competitive, when everything taken into consideration.

29 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Dee - we just finished the galley tour with Satheesh.  Really interesting.  He has 100 cooks working for him.  He is very good, professional, business/logistics oriented.  Knows what he’s doing.  He’ll be doing the World Cruise.   We all thanked him for the very noticeable superior dishes onboard (vs other cruises)!

WIlli is going to be the Execcutive Chef on the WC.

• Like 1

We’ve been informed that we will be making an unscheduled stop in the Bahamas due to an urgent medical situation onboard. 

I feel awful for that person and their traveling companions, but I will be glad to get off the ship for the little time we’ll have ashore, esp after missing Bermuda. 

Just another lesson to expect the unexpected and go with the flow. And BE CAREFUL. 🙁

14 minutes ago, deec said:

Lucky they will let you off.  anytime we have diverted for a medical emergency it has been a drop off the patient and go!  Enjoy...prayers for the ill passenger.

We are thinking that maybe they worked a deal with Nassau (who might want some tourist dollars perhaps).  We will be docked 11:00 to 3:00 so that's likely 11:00 to 2:00.  No excursions.  Everyone on their own.  Remains to be seen if we dock or tender though.  We plan to walk as much as we can!

Yes, we hope the passenger gets the surgery done (hip) soon and is out of pain sooner than later.  It must be so difficult being out at sea when something like this happens (broken hip) due to the high and rough seas, which are felt even more while walking down into the Star Theatre.

Edited by CCWineLover

22 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We are thinking that maybe they worked a deal with Nassau (who might want some tourist dollars perhaps).  We will be docked 11:00 to 3:00 so that's likely 11:00 to 2:00.  No excursions.  Everyone on their own.  Remains to be seen if we dock or tender though.  We plan to walk as much as we can!

Yes, we hope the passenger gets the surgery done (hip) soon and is out of pain sooner than later.  It must be so difficult being out at sea when something like this happens (broken hip) due to the high and rough seas, which are felt even more while walking down into the Star Theatre.

It's likely going to be more like 11:30/12:00 to 2:00 - they have to get the medical case off first. There is a big cruise port right next to the town. Fingers crossed we dock there.