Annual travel insurance

pmjnh

For those of you with an annual travel insurance plan. 

What are the limitations of length of cruise with your policy?  If you exceed the policy trip size limitation can you supplement?

we are looking at a 39- 45 day cruise but have other bookings of less than 30 days each. 

thank you

joan

I have an annual plan through seven corners and they offer the option for longer than 30 days but I think the default is 30.  Keep in mind when you sail B2B cruises the length of the "trip" is only each individual leg so you don't need longer coverage unless any one of the bookings is over 30 days.

I did have to buy a longer policy when we went on a 42 day south pacific cruise last year so I know they offer longer options.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Thanks 1

For travel risks (emergency evacuation, trip cancellation, trip interruption), the insurance is included in our Bank of America Premium Rewards Visa and (as long as we charge the trip on the card) coverage is for trips up to 60 days.

• Thanks 1

Like FlaMariner, we have an annual GeoBlue policy that covers 70 days (per trip) and provides medical (this is a medical only policy) coverage of up to $100,000 (for those over 70).  We combine that with trip cancellation/interruption from our affinty credit cards (up to $20,000 per couple with Chase Sapphire or $10,000 with AMEX Platinum).  Rather than paying thousands of dollars in insurance premiums for a single cruise, our GeoBlue policy (which has much better coverage than most "cruise insurance") costs a few hundred per year.   Affinity cards are pricy, but give lots of benefits that are useful to frequent travelers.   For those skeptical of their "insurance: I can tell you that DW and I collected over $19,000 (from our Chase card) when we had to cancel a cruise due to a medical issue.

We do think that these kind of insurance questions are best handled on CCs Cruise/Travel Insurance blog.  We also suggest that folks who have doubts or are simply "not sure" contact a true travel insurance broker (brokers handle multiple brands) such as the nice folks at the Trip Insurance Store (often featured here on CC) for professional answers to their questions.  Insurance is complicated and each person has their own unique issues/risk tolerance.  There is no "one size fits all" solution.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

Keep in mind when you sail B2B cruises the length of the "trip" is only each individual leg

I hope you are 110% correct about this. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Seven Corners Annual plans.

The plans I'm familiar with, the "trip" begins at 12:01AM on the day you walk out of your front door and ends on the day you walk back into your front door. Therefore, the example of B2B is 1 trip. Unless, of course, you live close enough to port that you can run by the house, check the mail, do a load of laundry, then get back to the ship maybe.

Anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. Never too old to learn something new.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I hope you are 110% correct about this. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Seven Corners Annual plans.

The plans I'm familiar with, the "trip" begins at 12:01AM on the day you walk out of your front door and ends on the day you walk back into your front door. Therefore, the example of B2B is 1 trip. Unless, of course, you live close enough to port that you can run by the house, check the mail, do a load of laundry, then get back to the ship maybe.

Anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. Never too old to learn something new.

I'm pretty sure you are correct about this, klfrodo (and no surprise there, of course. 🙂 ).

On our trips with insurance coverage, we've never listed "all the places we were going and the dates of each".  If it was relevant, we'd put in what we considered the "main location" for our trip.  That could be a cruise in <area>, or a city if visiting friends, or just the country, etc.

And, importantly, when making a claim (which, unfortunately, we've had to do too many times 😞 ), we've *never* been asked anything that included anything that was about "all the places we'd been", the dates of each locale, etc.

I don't even know how one would necessarily identify "each trip" if the trips weren't strictly "one cruise".  And although this specific Forum, CruiseCritics, is obviously geared toward cruises (duh! 😉 ), there is a LOT of travel that has nothing to do with "cruising" or even any water activities at all.  Would going to City A from City B need to be considered a "separate trip" from going to City C from CIty B?  I doubt it.  And is one just 'overnighting' during transportation, or is one visiting the a specific city just for one night?  We've done both.

And we've definitely "mixed and matched" cruise and land trips.  Indeed, I'm not sure how one would try to count separate trips when there's more than one "destination", be it for a short or longer stay, especially if it were a trip with multiple destinations and multiple modes of travel.  With some trips, there could be a LOT of "destinations", and many modes of travel.  And if there are no cruises involved, such as just a land trip with travel by air, how does one distinguish "one trip" from "another trip"?  And if there *is* a cruise involved [or more than one], how does one characterize the non-cruise travel, which might involve much more time than a cruise did...?

Needless to say, Real NHDOC may indeed have a policy that works as they describe, but I've never heard of one before, and certainly many (most?) policies do *not* work that way.

GC

On 12/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, pmjnh said:

For those of you with an annual travel insurance plan. 

What are the limitations of length of cruise with your policy?  If you exceed the policy trip size limitation can you supplement?

we are looking at a 39- 45 day cruise but have other bookings of less than 30 days each. 

thank you

joan

Hi Joan,

You might find this thread here on Cruise Critic helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2960032-annual-policy-or-singletrip/#comment-66176986

I myself haven't found an Annual Trip Cancellation plan that is good enough for me to sell due to their plan limitations and with what's needed to cover the changes in travel since Covid started.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 2