How are the cocktails?

poindexter

We were on the Emerald a couple of months back and noticed a real lack of fresh ingredients, specifically at the indoor bars.  Rose’s lime juice is just an awful substitute for fresh limes and the cranberry juice was so substandard that it was almost brown.  Please tell me I can get a nice pink Cosmo on my next cruise in April!

21 minutes ago, poindexter said:

We were on the Emerald a couple of months back and noticed a real lack of fresh ingredients, specifically at the indoor bars.  Rose’s lime juice is just an awful substitute for fresh limes and the cranberry juice was so substandard that it was almost brown.  Please tell me I can get a nice pink Cosmo on my next cruise in April!

That is why I never order margaritas on the ship, that neon sweet & sour mix and no fresh limes are a hard no for me. 

I also don’t order cosmos because it’s not real cranberry juice. Straight up dirty martinis it is. 

I don’t know any ship bar that uses all fresh ingredients. Like the y are not going to give me fresh squeezed orange juice for my screwdriver. All of those things would drive up the price and speed of delivery 

• Like 1

I have been on many small ships with only a few hundred passengers.  On most of them the bartenders are very good and the drinks are fresh.  On a recent 200 passenger AK cruise the margaritas were the best I have ever had.  Yet another advantage of small ship cruising.

DON

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I have been on many small ships with only a few hundred passengers.  On most of them the bartenders are very good and the drinks are fresh.  On a recent 200 passenger AK cruise the margaritas were the best I have ever had.  Yet another advantage of small ship cruising.

DON

Since Princess has no ships of that size chow is that applicable to the question ?  Also I am willing to bet the price difference is quite substantial 

• Haha 1

Dang!  Looks like I better come up with a different go-to drink!  My standard is a bay breeze, but if they are using the cheap brown cranberry juice, I’ll have to pass! 🤮 Really irritating that they would serve nasty crap mixers with good liquor — especially for what we are paying! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dixiejen said:

Dang!  Looks like I better come up with a different go-to drink!  My standard is a bay breeze, but if they are using the cheap brown cranberry juice, I’ll have to pass! 🤮 Really irritating that they would serve nasty crap mixers with good liquor — especially for what we are paying! 

I'm assuming you know this, but please don't take one person's experience to apply to all cranberry juice quality and use, Princess-wide. 

I didn't have any similar issues on my cruise.  Plus, if you don't like it, get another one...that is if you have the Plus or Premier packages.

(Oh, as an aside, IMO, I don't think we're paying a lot for drinks, compared to other cruise lines and even land-based bars...)

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
12 minutes ago, MrSchwump said:

My favorite cocktail is bourbon, ice and a droplet of water. They make it right every time!

That is exactly my favorite too... except that I hold the ice... and the water 🙂 Never had a problem with the mixing either.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

On 12/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, poindexter said:

One of my drinks that I frequently order is. vodka gimlet on the rocks.   Everyone insists on making it with Rose’s sweetened lime juice.   To me this is heartburn in a bottle.   I did finally find out that if requested they will use fresh limes or use a bottle of pure lime juice.   After finding out I could request this I never had anyone refuse to make it “my” way.   This only works if ordering from bar staff….can’t do it on medallion 

• Like 1