Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

6 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

Based on the e mail she sent me, anyone ordering off a menu in the Retreat venues (Lounge, Luminae, Deck) will not be charged if they have PBP.

Both Veuve ($25) and Caymus ($35) are on the Luminae wine list by the glass.

5 hours ago, Harborgirl246 said:

Just got off Beyond. We were charged the $2.40 for CherryPie and Decoy even 

with the PDP. No chit to sign. The sommelier just politely informed us each time: all bars including Luminae.

Having no receipt must make it very hard to keep track of.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

Were those wines ordered in a Retreat venue and listed on the menu?  I expect not.

Specifically mentioned Luminae.

Also Decoy is listed on a previously posted Luminae wine menu for $19.

1 hour ago, richczarnecki said:

Based on the e mail she sent me, anyone ordering off a menu in the Retreat venues (Lounge, Luminae, Deck) will not be charged if they have PBP.

Regardless of what she wrote, it's simply not true in Luminae. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Does make me think she is signing off on changes without understanding her product.

I think it's more sinister than that, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

Trying to decipher the wine situation. I am on a cruise next week, and the app has interesting situations.

To keep permutations low I like Reislngs.

The MDR has 2--the $12 per glass Chateau St Michelle, and its $50 per bottle an dteh J&H Sellbach Kabinitt, same $12 and 50, except the bottles if buying 1 at a time near me ate 8.95 and 15.95

We wil also be dining in Petite Chef, Murano and Tuscany--

Morano has 2 additinal Reislngs, Tuscany has 1 and Petite Cheff has one reisling.

Thats per the app -which even teh executiv eoffice tells me is inaccurate even on the day of sailing. (Then I ased myself, why have it)

Anyway for me,the resioings offerred are 17 or under, mostly at 12, but none are listed on the classic package, whereas in the  past the Chateau Ste Michelle was on the classic.

This is all too colex to keep track of. All I want to know, keeping it simple, whats the best aka most expensive reisling I can get in premium package and why is it not avaiable in most venues.

On S class, the dining options are on 4 or 5, I think,Luminae, Blu, MDR ,Petite Chef, Tuscany and Murano all there.

On an different level, I saw something reporting that X is seriously considering a total rennovation of S class. That means redoing  the MDR  like Edge has for the 4 MDRs. Plus making Retreat more exclusive. perhaps putting Luminae up there somewhere, as well as Michaels club. Perhaps X will put a rollar coaster or 7 story slide up there. Certainy a larger Sunset bar like on Edge series and all of it extending a few feet further over the side. Perhaps add another level or two to accomodate  Retreat.

It muchs be sgnificanty less expensive to do thatthan build a new Edge--baffles me but I am certain the financial MBAs there have it nailed down. 🙂

We were on NCL Westwerd decades ago and shortly after we were on it they decided to make it longer for more cabins..

BTW a Stella is $11 plus 20%.

Edited by HMR74

8 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

What do you base that on?

Probably the fact that people who are now, or have recently sailed in suites, with Premium drinks packages are being charged the difference plus 20% gratuity on any drink priced above the limit of the drink package.

There are numerous reports both on CC and other social media platforms.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Probably the fact that people who are now, or have recently sailed in suites, with Premium drinks packages are being charged the difference plus 20% gratuity on any drink priced above the limit of the drink package.

There are numerous reports both on CC and other social media platforms.

I have continued my e mail with Laura Bethge and will see what she says.  Clearly, what she has documented to me is not being followed.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, richczarnecki said:

I have continued my e mail with Laura Bethge and will see what she says.  Clearly, what she has documented to me is not being followed.  

I think that your interpretation of the word “everything “ is at issue. 

look at the app, Jan 7 sailing of the Ascent. Go to dining, Cosmopolitan menu and then look at the wine list. It apparently is updated (unlike the dozen or so that I see in posts or just about any of the ships. ). It is also different than Luminae for that ship strangely enough 

that wine list has both a Premium and a  separate Elevated    I think that the  rather wordsmithing of that e mail to you says that if this on Premium you get it included. Also offerings may be an up charge. That is the elevate list. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 6:20 PM, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Saw a report about surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge above Premium package limit. In the past, I have seen countless guests get more expensive drinks in Retreat Lounge for no surcharge.

Certainly different ships will apply policies differently, but the official Celebrity policy is to surcharge in Retreat Lounge now. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

Part of the problem is Retreat receives the Premium Drink Package which covers up to $17 per drink.  Recently based on the app for my upcoming cruise and other posters complaining, they have raised many drink prices north of $17 so it is not a surcharge, just a price difference.  Unfortunately, reports have been circulating that this is not 100% enforced by the bartenders and some charge it while others do not.  Just be kind to your bartenders and they might forget to charge, who knows.

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

Regardless of what she wrote, it's simply not true in Luminae. 

I don't think it ever has been.  I've been upcharged for certain wines through the years in Luminae.  There is no way with Caymus on the menu there isn't going to be an upcharge.  

We just got off the Beyond and we barely spent any time in the lounge before dinner because the wine selection was so poor in terms of what didn’t have an up charge …plus the potato chips now seem like they are lays not homemade like before… it’s a shame because we used to enjoy that each evening…

12 minutes ago, Julma said:

I don't think it ever has been.  I've been upcharged for certain wines through the years in Luminae.  There is no way with Caymus on the menu there isn't going to be an upcharge.  

I agree with all of this. I have personally been upcharged for glasses of Caymus in Luminae.

10 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

We just got off the Beyond and we barely spent any time in the lounge before dinner because the wine selection was so poor in terms of what didn’t have an up charge …plus the potato chips now seem like they are lays not homemade like before… it’s a shame because we used to enjoy that each evening…

Drinking cheap wine and eating lays potato chips sounds like what I do on my deck in the summer, not in an expensive suite. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, High on the Seas said:

Drinking cheap wine and eating lays potato chips sounds like what I do on my deck in the summer, not in an expensive suite. 

That is why we skipped that and went straight to dinner…our sommelier was able to find us wines we enjoyed that was included in the premium package…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Susanb10567 said:

That is why we skipped that and went straight to dinner…our sommelier was able to find us wines we enjoyed that was included in the premium package…

This is what I have always loved about Celebrity.  However, it seems the sommelier is having a much more difficult time these days with the price increases putting the better inexpensive wines over the package limit. 

Alert! I am currently on the Beyond (boarded yesterday) and I can confirm that all wines over $17 are charged the price difference plus a 20% gratuity. I checked with the Luminae sommelier and had an extensive conversation with the very sweet Retreat Lounge bartender. She said that 2 cruises ago, they were told that they must charge the price difference. She HAS my favorite white (Mer Soleil). I have the PDP, and if I want MER Soleil, I pay $2.40 per glass.

Edited by DingoMom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

Alert! I am currently on the Beyond (boarded yesterday) and I can confirm that all wines over $17 are charged the price difference plus a 20% gratuity. I checked with the Luminae sommelier and had an extensive conversation with the very sweet Retreat Lounge bartender. She said that 2 cruises ago, they were told that they must charge the price difference. She HAS my favorite white (Mer Soleil). I have the PDP, and if I want MER Soleil, I pay $2.40 per glass.

We were on the Beyond last week…and it was the same…

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Unless I massed it, so far I haven't seen any posts from someone on board stating categorically that they were, or were not, charged an up-charge for wines above the PBP limit in the lounge or luminae, especially the $2 up-charge.

We are sailing in a PH on Beyond in December and a $2 charge is beyond tacky. 

I have to agree with beyond tacky. It's not the money - I just don't feel the love after spending over $40K on an upper suite and being nickel and dimed. I plan to speak to the shoreside concierge today about a future sailing and will inquire what the current policy will be on my sailing. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

I guess someone should let the President and Marketing team know.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1