Earliest Check-in Time?

babs135

We are sailing on the Victoria this Saturday and our check-in time is a very nice 1.30 pm.  The hotel will let us keep our room until 12 o'clock so can we go to the terminal straight away?  I would think that by the time we've loaded the car, moved it to an off-site parking lot and been shuttled to the ship it could be about 12.30-12.45 pm.  I'm assuming that this would be okay?

12 minutes ago, babs135 said:

We are sailing on the Victoria this Saturday and our check-in time is a very nice 1.30 pm.  The hotel will let us keep our room until 12 o'clock so can we go to the terminal straight away?  I would think that by the time we've loaded the car, moved it to an off-site parking lot and been shuttled to the ship it could be about 12.30-12.45 pm.  I'm assuming that this would be okay?

It will probably be fine, though, if they haven’t started loading, you may be made to wait outside until the crowd in the terminal thins out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

It will probably be fine, though, if they haven’t started loading, you may be made to wait outside until the crowd in the terminal thins out.

I’m sorry, I’ve just realised that sounds awful. I should have said boarding, not loading. They are passengers, not cargo. 🙂

Edited by exlondoner

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I’m sorry, I’ve just realised that sounds awful. I should have said boarding, not loading. They are passengers, not cargo. 🙂

although some have stated in the past, they embark as passengers and disembark needing wheelbarrow assistance, as cargo!!!😄

Veey recently (24th Nov) we arrived bang on our allotted time, 12.30pm, and were ushered straight through to check-in and onto ship withouyt any waiting. There was already a queue outside of the terminal, of those refused immediate entry. Some had been allowed inside to wait: one can presume how this works.

Would you be able to wait in the hotel lobby for perhaps another 30minutes? Waiting on the dockside in December would be no great fun.

I think we have to accept Cunard and other lines are becoming more pro-ctive in monitoring boarding times, but they have yet to fine tune the process. It does not help that some of the staff at the terminal, do not all "sing to the same tune"!

Have a lovely cruise.

We are embarking out of Southampton in June 2024 in Queens Grill on our first Cunard cruise.  The US-based Cunard phone rep explained to me that QG gets separate checkin at the terminal, but not necessarily priority for the embarkation time which is allocated about 21 days before the cruise.  If we make arrangements to arrive at 1230 as QG passengers and our allocated embarkation time is 1400 what would happen? 

Edited by stan01

If you are booked in QG, you automatically will be allocated first boarding. This is generally between 12.30 & 1.00pm. On arriving at the terminal there is a separate area for Grills guests after check-in, and you will be called for security and boarding in the first tranche.

enjoynthe QG experience.

I get the impression from this forum that Southampton embarkation facilities are superior to Brooklyn's, yet I've never heard of passengers having to wait outside at the latter (perhaps COVID excepted).  Am I wrong here?

Except for last 4th of July sailing on the QM2 out of Brooklyn, we really had a problem at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. That was an exception due to an medical incident that occurred on board with a Crew Member which we hope he is Resting In Peace.

But on the September previous sailing everything was Smooth Sailing boarding the QM2. From arrival on the sidewalk to the Cabin was 20 minute entering our door.

And those previous sailings were also any average of 17 - 20 minutes. Yes, let me not leave out we are either Diamond, Britannia Club or Princess that will help it along.

Granted some events may take place like USCG or Public Health wanting to conduct inspections that may delay boarding.

So all have to see how it plays out at that time.