Alaska Cruisetour advise: HAL vs Celebrity

sk99

We were booked on Celebrity 13 days Cruisetour before Covid, it was cancelled. Now we are looking to book a Cruisetour again for 13-14 days and trying to decide between HAL and Celebrity. By any chance anyone experienced both and can compare, looking for opinions but specifically for Alaska and tour. We sailed with both lines and liked both😊. TIA

Edited by sk99
  • Like 1

The first, commonly mentioned point is that Celebrity doesn't sail Glacier Bay. HAL does.

Also commonly mentioned is HAL (and Princess) have been in Alaska much longer, with a much greater number of ships and have a much greater infrastructure for the land tour portion, with hotels, buses, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The first, commonly mentioned point is that Celebrity doesn't sail Glacier Bay. HAL does.

Also commonly mentioned is HAL (and Princess) have been in Alaska much longer, with a much greater number of ships and have a much greater infrastructure for the land tour portion, with hotels, buses, etc.

Thank you Bruce, I’m aware that HAL and Princess doing Alaska much longer and own lodges in multiple locations (some reviews are stating that those lodges are old and in desperate need for repairs). Celebrity is using some of their lodges, it also uses hotels. What I like about Celebrity tour is that they use Wilderness express on basically all legs of the tour, where HAL is mostly using buses. I also like Celebrity ships as they have inside pool, useful for cold climate. But Glacier Bay is definitely something I would consider.

Instead of an organized cruise tour from the cruise line, would you consider putting together your own trip using a rental car for the land portion of the trip? There's nothing on a cruise tour that can't be booked independently, often for cheaper.

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Instead of an organized cruise tour from the cruise line, would you consider putting together your own trip using a rental car for the land portion of the trip? There's nothing on a cruise tour that can't be booked independently, often for cheaper.

That is what my husband keeps saying, I have to plan and book, he will drive... We did many DIY trips and I know it might be cheaper, most importantly, it gives you flexibility. I have to think about now🤔

3 hours ago, sk99 said:

Thank you Bruce, I’m aware that HAL and Princess doing Alaska much longer and own lodges in multiple locations (some reviews are stating that those lodges are old and in desperate need for repairs). Celebrity is using some of their lodges, it also uses hotels. What I like about Celebrity tour is that they use Wilderness express on basically all legs of the tour, where HAL is mostly using buses. I also like Celebrity ships as they have inside pool, useful for cold climate. But Glacier Bay is definitely something I would consider.

It sounds like you really want to go Celebrity.   Glacier Bay is the most dependable place to see glaciers in Alaska.  

If you are looking for a cruise tour Holland America has a wide variety of choices if you look at them all…including the Yukon.  In Denali they are located close to the park entrance and have accommodations ranging from the Chalet cabins to hotel type units.  You do not choose your room unless you pay extra to stay in the newest suites style building.   The Chalets is a resort campus next to the Princess resort that has entertainment and a couple of dining options onsite.  Free busses run throughout the day between the two properties and to the National Park entrance.

You may be misinformed about HAL use of busses.  Holland will generally include the train to/from Denali and bus between Denali and Fairbanks (the less scenic section).   If your tour begins and ends in Anchorage they will use train one way to Denali and bus on the return.  With any bus travel you will have stops about every hour for restroom and/or food.   Whatever you do you need to plan for a minimum of two nights in Denali.   Check out the Holland America website.

Holland America ships have retractable covers on the pools so they are indoor pools in the colder climate of Alaska.  If it’s a sunny day in Kodiak they can open the cover to bring in the fresh air and sunshine.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the adventure.

• Thanks 1

Go for HAL to see Glacier Bay.  We have been to Alaska twice, once on HAL and the other on Celebrity. I am planning another cruise to include Denali.  I will DIY for the land portion.  If you are comfortable with planning, you can choose your lodgings, train schedule and/or rent a car.  The road all the way into the park is still closed.  They are saying maybe into 2026. Happy planning.  

21 hours ago, sk99 said:

What I like about Celebrity tour is that they use Wilderness express on basically all legs of the tour, where HAL is mostly using buses.

Delving a bit into the weeds here, Holland America Line utilizes its own transportation and hotels, operated by corporate affiliates, while Celebrity Cruises utilizes third party transportation and hotels. More specifically:

Holland America Line and Princess Cruises use mostly railcars owned by a corporate affiliate, Tour Alaska, Inc., which are bi-level glass dome cars. All trains are distinct from those offered by the Alaska Railroad. It has four rail routes: (1) "McKinley Explorer," Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali, operated daily, (2) "Denali Express," Whittier - Denali, operated Saturdays, Sundays, and alternate Wednesdays, (3) "McKinley Express," Whittier - McKinley, operated Saturdays and alternate Wednesdays, and (4) "HAL Cruise Train," Whittier - Anchorage, operated Sundays. Trains (1) and (2) use Tour Alaska, inc., bi-level glass dome cars, while trains (3) and (4) use Alaska Railroad single level glass dome cars. Where needed, tours use motorcoaches operated by Royal Hyway Tours, Inc., also a corporate affiliate.

Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International use railcars owned by a third party, Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., which are bi-level glass dome cars. These cars are attached to a regular Alaska Railroad passenger train. The Alaska Railroad uses its own bi-level glass dome cars, as well as traditional single level coaches and other cars. The Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., cars are known as the "Wilderness Express," while the Alaska Railroad cars are known as the "Denali Star." These cars are used on a single route: Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali - Fairbanks, operated daily. Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International also contract with the Alaska Railroad for a train on the route: Seward - Anchorage Airport, operated Fridays. This train uses Alaska Railroad single level glass dome cars. Where needed, tours use motorcoaches operated by Premier Alaska Tours, Inc.

The notable distinctions are that Holland America Line can offer rail service directly to and from its port in Whittier, while Celebrity Cruises requires the use of a motorcoach on the segment between Seward and Anchorage. Additionally, Celebrity Cruises can offer rail service between Denali and Fairbanks, while Holland America Line requires the use of a motorcoach, or Alaska Railroad service, on the segment between Denali and Fairbanks. Finally, Holland America tours typically include only a single rail segment, regardless of tour length. Celebrity Cruises tours are not limited to a single rail segment, and some tours include multiple rail segments.

If one were to make individual arrangements, outside of a formal tour, the Alaska Railroad can provide rail service on the routes Seward - Anchorage, Whittier - Anchorage, Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali - Fairbanks. Tour Alaska, Inc., will sell individual tickets on its Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali train, and Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., will sell individual tickets on its Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali - Fairbanks train. The Park Connection motorcoach service also operates on the routes Seward - Anchorage, Whittier - Anchorage, Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali, and Alaska Cruise Transportation motorcoach service operates on the routes Seward - Anchorage and Whittier - Anchorage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Delving a bit into the weeds here, Holland America Line utilizes its own transportation and hotels, operated by corporate affiliates, while Celebrity Cruises utilizes third party transportation and hotels. More specifically:

Holland America Line and Princess Cruises use mostly railcars owned by a corporate affiliate, Tour Alaska, Inc., which are bi-level glass dome cars. All trains are distinct from those offered by the Alaska Railroad. It has four rail routes: (1) "McKinley Explorer," Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali, operated daily, (2) "Denali Express," Whittier - Denali, operated Saturdays, Sundays, and alternate Wednesdays, (3) "McKinley Express," Whittier - McKinley, operated Saturdays and alternate Wednesdays, and (4) "HAL Cruise Train," Whittier - Anchorage, operated Sundays. Trains (1) and (2) use Tour Alaska, inc., bi-level glass dome cars, while trains (3) and (4) use Alaska Railroad single level glass dome cars. Where needed, tours use motorcoaches operated by Royal Hyway Tours, Inc., also a corporate affiliate.

Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International use railcars owned by a third party, Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., which are bi-level glass dome cars. These cars are attached to a regular Alaska Railroad passenger train. The Alaska Railroad uses its own bi-level glass dome cars, as well as traditional single level coaches and other cars. The Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., cars are known as the "Wilderness Express," while the Alaska Railroad cars are known as the "Denali Star." These cars are used on a single route: Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali - Fairbanks, operated daily. Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International also contract with the Alaska Railroad for a train on the route: Seward - Anchorage Airport, operated Fridays. This train uses Alaska Railroad single level glass dome cars. Where needed, tours use motorcoaches operated by Premier Alaska Tours, Inc.

The notable distinctions are that Holland America Line can offer rail service directly to and from its port in Whittier, while Celebrity Cruises requires the use of a motorcoach on the segment between Seward and Anchorage. Additionally, Celebrity Cruises can offer rail service between Denali and Fairbanks, while Holland America Line requires the use of a motorcoach, or Alaska Railroad service, on the segment between Denali and Fairbanks. Finally, Holland America tours typically include only a single rail segment, regardless of tour length. Celebrity Cruises tours are not limited to a single rail segment, and some tours include multiple rail segments.

If one were to make individual arrangements, outside of a formal tour, the Alaska Railroad can provide rail service on the routes Seward - Anchorage, Whittier - Anchorage, Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali - Fairbanks. Tour Alaska, Inc., will sell individual tickets on its Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali train, and Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., will sell individual tickets on its Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali - Fairbanks train. The Park Connection motorcoach service also operates on the routes Seward - Anchorage, Whittier - Anchorage, Anchorage - Talkeetna - Denali, and Alaska Cruise Transportation motorcoach service operates on the routes Seward - Anchorage and Whittier - Anchorage.

Thank you, I already decided on HAL. We probably will take organized tour.

14 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

The road all the way into the park is still closed.  They are saying maybe into 2026. Happy planning.  

How much of Denali is not accessible because of this road closure? Should we wait until 2026?🤔

16 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

The road all the way into the park is still closed.  They are saying maybe into 2026. Happy planning.  

How much of Denali is not accessible because of this road closure? Should we wait until 2026?🤔

16 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Sorry for all the double posting (unfortunately not possible to remove), just was trying to answer my own question. I found this great blog: https://www.earthtrekkers.com/denali-road-closure-things-to-do/#:~:text=Denali Park Road is closed at mile 43%2C at an,causing the road to slump.

In a nutshell it says: 

Many of the Denali’s best experiences lie beyond mile 43. Without being able to travel deeper into the park, you will be missing out on the best views of Denali and some of the best hiking trails.

If you only plan to visit Denali once in your lifetime, consider postponing your visit for a few years.

Edited by sk99

On 12/21/2023 at 5:03 PM, sk99 said:

Many of the Denali’s best experiences lie beyond mile 43. Without being able to travel deeper into the park, you will be missing out on the best views of Denali and some of the best hiking trails.

It is not that the park beyond mile 43 is completely inaccessible, but rather a very small section of the park that is closed. See http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/closures.htm (the closed area is highlighted in red). Both sides of the small area that is closed are open (though the facilities on the far side of the closure are closed). Depending upon construction and other conditions, it might be possible to walk through the closed area, or hike around the closed area: check-in with the ranger responsible for backcountry permits for permissible hiking routes. For greater certainty you could charter an airplane from Denali Air (Piper Navajo and Chieftain aircraft available) and fly to Kantishna (mile 89). From the Kantishna airstrip you could hike to all the various points of interest on the other side of the closure, including Wonder Lake, Eielson, Stony Hill, Toklat River, Polychrome Overlook, etc. Probably more serene with the closure and the absence of many tourists. What a story to bring home! You could hike the 45 miles between Kantishna and the and closure (you'll need a free backcountry permit if you're going to camp overnight). With a private charter you could probably even take a bicycle on the airplane, and bike from Kantishna to the closure. It all comes down to how much money one is willing to spend, and the time and ambition possessed to go hiking (or biking) and backcountry camping.

Backcountry camping and hiking in Denali National Park is not to be undertaken lightly.  You would need top of the line lightweight gear, high end clothing, and good backcountry survival and navigation skills.  You will encounter bears, moose, and possibly wolves.  You can be snowed in even in July.  You will have no way of contacting anyone if you get into trouble without a satellite phone.  Also, no bikes are allowed past the closure.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 4:00 PM, sk99 said:

I was, but now leaning to HAL

On 12/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, sk99 said:

Thank you, I already decided on HAL. We probably will take organized tour.

I really don't think you can go wrong.  Just, with choosing HAL, know that they cannot compare with Celebrity with entertainment. If that's not a big deal to you, you'll be fine.  If it is, you'll likely be disappointed.  

Otherwise, HAL is a really nice cruise line.  Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I really don't think you can go wrong.  Just, with choosing HAL, know that they cannot compare with Celebrity with entertainment. If that's not a big deal to you, you'll be fine.  If it is, you'll likely be disappointed.  

Otherwise, HAL is a really nice cruise line.  Enjoy your cruise. 

In Alaska, the entertainment is outside 🙂 

I actually had great entertainment on HAL on my one cruise many years ago. Not sure what it is like now. It actually was better than Celebrity (which was also years ago).

Regardless - in Alaska, the scenery is the entertainment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

In Alaska, the entertainment is outside 🙂 

I actually had great entertainment on HAL on my one cruise many years ago. Not sure what it is like now. It actually was better than Celebrity (which was also years ago).

Regardless - in Alaska, the scenery is the entertainment.

I get that, but ship entertainment is important to some people too.  

• Like 1