Not so "Free Upgrade"

CNSJ

Looking to book the 22 day South America/Antarctica voyage (late Jan 2025 on Oosterdam)

HAL is advertising a free upgrade from Obstructed Oceanview to Verandah, then you choose Have it All.....a great deal right?

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_33_11AM.png.7a482ce38c126e9da53633dfd4eeb1ec.png

When I just try to book the Verandah (not selecting the lower cabin class first) - I am prompted with the following options and prices:

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_25_55AM.thumb.png.0be73117fc72d067bc8dcf35a2154d70.png

But when I select the Ocean view and use the "Free Upgrade" I get the following:

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_24_53AM.thumb.png.f4218fa83b393bad5cedc75852e9e49e.png

Am I missing something here???  It seems the "upgrade" is just an orange border.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CNSJ said:

Looking to book the 22 day South America/Antarctica voyage (late Jan 2025 on Oosterdam)

HAL is advertising a free upgrade from Obstructed Oceanview to Verandah, then you choose Have it All.....a great deal right?

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_33_11AM.png.7a482ce38c126e9da53633dfd4eeb1ec.png

When I just try to book the Verandah (not selecting the lower cabin class first) - I am prompted with the following options and prices:

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_25_55AM.thumb.png.0be73117fc72d067bc8dcf35a2154d70.png

But when I select the Ocean view and use the "Free Upgrade" I get the following:

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_24_53AM.thumb.png.f4218fa83b393bad5cedc75852e9e49e.png

Am I missing something here???  It seems the "upgrade" is just an orange border.....

In this case, just purchase HIA separately and you would come out ahead

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

How do you purchase HIA separately - can you do this after you have already booked a cruise without it?  

This particular 'Orange Border"  HIA offer does not include crew appreciation charges, but does take off the service charges for the included beverage package. We were juggling the benefits last night ourselves for our upcoming 2024 long HAL cruise.

Somewhat a wash for us too, but the unknown HIA factor was the "free Surf internet". What would that save us for a 53 day cruise.

Also what does this mean, now that there are reports all HAL ships have StarLink.  Are there options for the StarLink hook ups like in the past -with various levels of internet access on the old system?

Or are they still offering two internet options - regular (and spotty) or StarLink?

7 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

How do you purchase HIA separately - can you do this after you have already booked a cruise without it?  

- You can't. After you book you can add a beverage package or wi-fi package etc. to make your own HIA (sort of).

This particular 'Orange Border"  HIA offer does not include crew appreciation charges, but does take off the service charges for the included beverage package. We were juggling the benefits last night ourselves for our upcoming 2024 long HAL cruise.

- If you purchase a beverage package the 18% gratuities are included in the price.

Somewhat a wash for us too, but the unknown HIA factor was the "free Surf internet". What would that save us for a 53 day cruise.

- Internet package pricing is on a sliding scale getting less expensive the longer the voyage. I would guess (and it's only a guess). the Surf package would be around $9-$10 per day for a 53-day cruise.

Also what does this mean, now that there are reports all HAL ships have StarLink.  Are there options for the StarLink hook ups like in the past -with various levels of internet access on the old system?

- There are three levels of internet access: Social, Surf and Premium.

Or are they still offering two internet options - regular (and spotty) or StarLink?

- Only StarLink, so the speed is the same no matter what package you have.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bill B said:

I booked a private fare and was able to add the HIA package for $50 per day ( this was prior to the increase to $55). Although I couldn’t do it online, my PCC was able to add it for me.  I had to pay in full at the time of purchase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Yes you can!  I have done it several times.  It is usually offered via the Navigator App or by signing into your HAL account on the website, or your TA can do it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I booked a private fare and was able to add the HIA package for $50 per day ( this was prior to the increase to $55). Although I couldn’t do it online, my PCC was able to add it for me.  I had to pay in full at the time of purchase.

I guess your PCC just re-fared you with the HIA. I don't think it would be possible to do that once the HIA drops off as a booking option (as happens closer to sailing date).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

There are two options for internet, Surf and Premium. The website states that Surf does not include streaming or audio, and that neither will access Hulu/Netflix/AmazonStream... but people currently are reporting they were able to stream/FaceTime with Surf (!) and someone said one of the plans did play Hulu!

Just like with the old internet, the bandwidth/speed are the same for the different levels. Now, both are StarLink!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bill B said:

I guess your PCC just re-fared you with the HIA. I don't think it would be possible to do that once the HIA drops off as a booking option (as happens closer to sailing date).

HIA bought separately from the fare, is not a refare. It is a purchase that must be paid for in full at the time, like CO, non-HIA specialty dinners, or non-HIA excursions. I know because I did this for next year's Voyage of Vikings -- catching the HIA before it went to $55. 

ETA: my PCC was *adamant* that I not buy the Signature Beverage Package with the Basic Fare -- because HIA is actually less than SBP! Even after the increase to $55, it is still less, because you pay 18% on top of the purchase price of SBP, but not HIA.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bill B said:

I guess your PCC just re-fared you with the HIA.

I was not re-fared.  Private fare for SA cruise was offered and reserved in March.   HIA was added in April.  It shows as a purchase on my “financial history” on my booking confirmation in April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Oh, and I found HIA on my Manage Your Booking under Beverage Packages. I emailed my PCC and asked if she would "get credit" if I added it through her, and she wrote back that she wouldn't that I could do it myself. 

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Sometimes  HAL pricing is wonky and not consistent through the process.

Have you tried continuing through the mock booking to see if those prices stay the same?

Yes, Prices held.  

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Sometimes  HAL pricing is wonky and not consistent through the process.

Have you tried continuing through the mock booking to see if those prices stay the same?

Yes, Prices held.  

15 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Oh, and I found HIA on my Manage Your Booking under Beverage Packages. I emailed my PCC and asked if she would "get credit" if I added it through her, and she wrote back that she wouldn't that I could do it myself. 

There are four beverage packages available under my 'Manage Your Booking', but certainly no HIA. 

23 minutes ago, Bill B said:

There are four beverage packages available under my 'Manage Your Booking', but certainly no HIA. 

Huh, it was there in early November, AND back in July when I first made the barebones booking (and my PCC warned me not to buy JUST the SPB. New website be changing. I guess you or your TA must call to add it now.

KK for HIA.jpg

13 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Huh, it was there in early November, AND back in July when I first made the barebones booking (and my PCC warned me not to buy JUST the SPB. New website be changing. I guess you or your TA must call to add it now.

Ah! I found it (and it is bookable on line). Well-hidden, I don't know why they do that!

Click 'Deals' in the bright blue banner.

Choose 'Have It All Premium Cruise Package'.

Scroll down through all the details of HIA.

Click on 'See Details' under 'Already booked'.

Click 'UPGRADE NOW' (the description and T&C are below the button).

At this point, my screen says "ALREADY PURCHASED", but if you hadn't, there would be a button to commit. There is also a footnote, "*Guests who have enrolled in a Holland America Line Protection Plan will be responsible for any increase in the plan cost when purchasing the Have It All package" so in that it is like Club Orange.

ETA: @OlsSalt

Edited by crystalspin

42 minutes ago, Bill B said:

HIA is not under Beverage packages - it’s under packages.  It’s been listed on every cruise I have booked so far.

48 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I couldn't find it under Packages today, Jacqui! They sorta hid it, see post above.

Weird.  It’s under packages for my upcoming Volendam cruise.  I checked before I posted.  

Edited to say - ditto for my upcoming Oosterdam cruise - just looked.  Wonder why it shows differently for us?

• Like 1

CNSJ,

I see what HAL has done -

If you search your cruise under 'Find Cruises', Ocean Views are FROM $3,729 and Verandas are FROM $5,379.

If you search your cruise under 'Time of Your Life Sale with Free Upgrade', Ocean Views and Verandas are both FROM $6,699.

It reminds me of when I found out sometimes they charge past pax $1000 MORE per person! Always check the fare after deleting all HAL cookies and when NOT 'logged in'.

P.S. If you want to book Veranda, 4166 is available. The balcony twice the size.

Edited by Bill B
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Weird.  It’s under packages for my upcoming Volendam cruise.  I checked before I posted.  

Edited to say - ditto for my upcoming Oosterdam cruise - just looked.  Wonder why it shows differently for us?

Maybe because I have already bought it? That would be pretty subtle programming for HAL's IT! I currently have no bookings without HIA, most included in the fare and the one that I bought in November.

ETA: maybe because I am in US and you're in CAN? Maybe they are doling out the new website options to a limited audience? @kazu

Edited by crystalspin

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Maybe because I have already bought it? That would be pretty subtle programming for HAL's IT! I currently have no bookings without HIA, most included in the fare and the one that I bought in November.

ETA: maybe because I am in US and you're in CAN? Maybe they are doling out the new website options to a limited audience? @kazu

I don’t know.  I am truly bamboozled.

I don’t have HIA on my Volendam cruise and do on my Oosterdam cruise.  They are both there.  While we get Canadian pricing the website is the US one.

I am totally confused on this one.  I am wondering if it depends upon what internet search engine one uses?  it’s wild, wild, guess.

9 hours ago, Sea42 said:

That won't work. CNSJ will still only have an Obstructed Ocean View. 

To get the 'free' upgrade, you have to book an Obstructed Ocean View at the same price as a Verandah.

It's genius marketing - they want to sell Verandas (Obstructed OVs can be flogged off when they drop the price after final payment as Guarantee bookings), so they put on a 'sale' with the price of Obstructed OVs increased to that of Verandas... and give a 'free' upgrade! 😂 LOL😂 Everyone's happy - HAL has sold another Veranda, and the passenger thinks they got a 'deal'.

Edited by Bill B
'and' instead of 'an'
  • Haha 1