Public deck overlooking bow on Koningsdam?

AryMay

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

Is there a public deck that is accessible that overlooks the bow on the Koningsdam? If so which deck? 

On Pinnacle Class ships, Deck 5 forward is “sometimes” accessible during scenic cruising when the bow is opened. Otherwise, no. The deck areas facing forward are either crew-only or accessible by a Suite only (and inconsistently.) 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

On Pinnacle Class ships, Deck 5 forward is “sometimes” accessible during scenic cruising when the bow is opened. Otherwise, no. The deck areas facing forward are either crew-only or accessible by a Suite only (and inconsistently.) 

Suites don't have any special access to the front of the ship...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Suites don't have any special access to the front of the ship...

Correct, Suites as cabin type/class don’t have special access, but there are two particular suites which do have intermittent access to a part of deck 10 (and maybe 11?) via an openable divider from their verandas. I’d imagine access is inconsistent.

There’s an older thread here that battles this out fairly exhaustively: 

27 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Check forward on deck 7 to see if the small front wrap deck is open. It's balcony width.

I can see doors opening up to the outdoor area, but not sure what the white space is leading to the doors. Any ideas?

Edited to add: Just read the thread linked above and it was suggested that the white spaces are officers’ cabins. 

IMG_1855.jpeg

Edited by AryMay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AryMay said:

I can see doors opening up to the outdoor area, but not sure what the white space is leading to the doors. Any ideas?

No. We were just on Deck 7 on the Nieuw Statendam, but never made it up that far forward. A lot of the ships have access somewhere up front. You won't know whether or not you can get up front unless you try. Obviously you'll want to pay attention to crew only signs if you see them.

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Look up Deck 14 "Sky Deck" on the Konigsdam - over the Crows nest and forward from the Retreat Cabana. Not directly forward and open, but has forward views -through the darker glass wind breaks.

Crow’s Nest is on deck 12 which is the Observation Deck. No deck 14, nor Sky deck.

10 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Crow’s Nest is on deck 12 which is the Observation Deck. No deck 14, nor Sky deck.

I believe there is a tradition to not name Deck 13 on ships?  

Recently checked the Konigsdam deck charts to make sure and there is very much a labeled Sky Deck and it was called Deck 14. You can see the outside stairways up to it from the Retreat Cabana areas behind the Crows Nest.

As well as see the people who could look down into the Retreat Cabana private space from above.  If you search for images for this location on the Konigsdam you can get a better sense of the layout of this space. 

11 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Are you sure? There is a 14 on the NS & Rotterdam. It's not on the deck plans, but it's definitely there.

17034468603103.thumb.jpg.a8c785c31d278d2fecbf0fc634e78127.jpg

Deck 14 on the Nieuw Statendam.

17033750545928.thumb.jpg.aa1e948edf6d40a5a339bb8fb250fde8.jpg

Photo taken of Deck 12 from Deck 14 on the Nieuw Statendam. (Or, was I able to leap a la the 10 Lords from the 12 Days? 😉)

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, POA1 said:

Is it hard to walk around with all the cameras scattered all over the deck? 😁

Looks like there are even drones flying over the retreat cabana - is that how you got your shot?

Today surveillance cameras are everywhere. We now have proof. Best not try to smoke on this deck, is all I can say.🤗

@OlsSalt @POA1 I checked the HAL website and only see 12 decks and that is what I based my answer on.

However, you are correct!

The Sky deck is NOT shown on the drop down list, nor in the PDF of all decks. I then checked my old printed Cruise Atlas (from April 2019). It includes diagrams of every deck - except the Sky deck! Next to the diagram of the full ship, it has the Sky deck listed with "(not shown)" next to it.

I'm sorry for the confusion!

image.thumb.png.164ebac11054bda2ae6801b80ca8d645.png

image.thumb.png.6de25b1b1fa95119107d096e59e5fabd.png

K'dam definitely has the 14th deck, frequently referred to as the "secret" deck since it does not appear on many deck plans. There is a button for it if you're in the correct elevator.

I will post pictures later once I've made my way you there (currently sailing on K'dam).

27 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

K'dam definitely has the 14th deck, frequently referred to as the "secret" deck since it does not appear on many deck plans. There is a button for it if you're in the correct elevator.

I will post pictures later once I've made my way you there (currently sailing on K'dam).

While you are out on your mission, could you head to the front of deck 7 and see what the white spaces are on either side of this deck? Still trying to discover if there is a way to access a public area  overlooking the bow of the ship. 🙂

Deck 7.jpeg

• Like 1

I just got off Koningsdam Dec 21st and she definitely has a Deck 14 that we visited. The only one of the four forward elevators with the button for 14 is the forward starboard elevator. A fellow passenger walking on that deck with us said it gets quite windy there when sailing (we were docked when I visited).

It is strange that it does not show on the website deck plans. The ship plans in that elevator bay do show Deck 14, but as I said, I think only one of the elevators has the button.

The Crows Nest is a more comfortable place to view forward (especially in the cushy center chairs), but you are seeing through windows rather than being out directly on deck.

Koningsdam is a beautiful ship - enjoy!

Edited by MJfromCA
corrected date
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Is it possible to be on that deck with a small mobility scooter?  

Probably since there is an elevator. On some ships, there's no elevator to it, so the only way to access it is from the stairs at the Retreat area. Definitely room for a scooter as it's a large space.

Just note, it is very windy up there.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo