Celebrity email Solo Cruisers are Excluded from Current Promotion

Cruise345

This is to share information from another forum, not a question - For solo travelers wanting to book a cruise under the current promotion. I noticed that when I priced a cabin for 2 people (2nd person 75% off), it was almost $2000 USD less than when I priced the same cabin for 1 person. As I do travel solo, I spoke with a Celebrity representative who informed me that around Dec 10th Celebrity sent an email to all of their travel representatives that solo travelers were EXCLUDED from the current promotion and any BOGO promotion going forward! And, he confirmed that the current promotion would run until around April 7th! As I think it's unfair for a solo traveler to be paying more for the same cabin on the same cruise than 2 people (the price should be the same not more for only 1 person occupacy in the cabin), the person mentioned that there is something some may consider. Basically, book the cruise at the no perks rate for two people (a friend who may consider the cruise). If you remove the second person before the cruise, the price will revert to the current solo price. But, if you just keep the person on the reservation and they are a "no-show" at the port - then you are refunded the port fees and taxes for the second person. What you have to consider is drink packages as you may need to get the same package for all adults in the stateroom (most of the time - there was a provision for non-drinkers), and I don't know if the drink package would be refunded for the "no-show". This is just to share information.

This is absolutely insane!!  I’m facing the exact same issue.   I often travel solo so I’m used to paying up to 200 percent of the per person double occupancy rate for the cabin itself.  And often less.  But never ever more.   And what’s worse Celebrity is charging an exorbitant amount for solo travelers to add in the all included rate.   I’ve honestly seen no other cruise line do that.  Note my attached screenshots. This is for the Celebrity Silhouette Sat Nov 16 Transatlantic Cruise Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.  13 nights.   First screenshot is for an inside cabin with 2 people.    2nd is for a solo traveler.  Same cabin category.     How much do they think a solo passenger is going to drink.    It’s insulting, especially when they say the all included rate saves money.   And they’ve been doing this for many months no matter the destination.    I kept on thinking it was a mistake and would be corrected, but no!!  

IMG_9695.png

IMG_9696.png

• Like 1

I, too, travel solo and have observed these type of rates many times on Celebrity.  Also, I have seen on the newer ships that if one books a solo balcony for one, the price is more than if you were to book a regular balcony for just one.  They seem to be relying on those that failed math class!

On 12/27/2023 at 7:04 AM, Cruise345 said:

This is to share information from another forum, not a question - For solo travelers wanting to book a cruise under the current promotion. I noticed that when I priced a cabin for 2 people (2nd person 75% off), it was almost $2000 USD less than when I priced the same cabin for 1 person. As I do travel solo, I spoke with a Celebrity representative who informed me that around Dec 10th Celebrity sent an email to all of their travel representatives that solo travelers were EXCLUDED from the current promotion and any BOGO promotion going forward! And, he confirmed that the current promotion would run until around April 7th! As I think it's unfair for a solo traveler to be paying more for the same cabin on the same cruise than 2 people (the price should be the same not more for only 1 person occupacy in the cabin), the person mentioned that there is something some may consider. Basically, book the cruise at the no perks rate for two people (a friend who may consider the cruise). If you remove the second person before the cruise, the price will revert to the current solo price. But, if you just keep the person on the reservation and they are a "no-show" at the port - then you are refunded the port fees and taxes for the second person. What you have to consider is drink packages as you may need to get the same package for all adults in the stateroom (most of the time - there was a provision for non-drinkers), and I don't know if the drink package would be refunded for the "no-show". This is just to share information.

Maybe you could buy the drink package once onboard for 1 person ?

Posted (edited)

I booked a 6 day Caribbean SS veranda on Beyond this July as a solo, I booked this around Nov. 2023….  The price for two with AI was reasonable and the price for solo without AI was great IMO.  To add AI for the solo was more than the AI for two, so I obviously booked cruise only and will add what I need separately and save thousands. 

Edited by Tyler414
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sometimes I think Celebrity can’t see the forest for the tree. Which of the following would generate more revenue:

A  couple in a balcony cabin who don’t drink, don’t gamble, doesn’t buy anything in the shops, and just maybe go to one specialty dinner.

OR-

A solo in an interior cabin, who is already paying a double rate, who also buys the premium drink package, the wi-fi, takes a tour or two, goes to specialty dining, and maybe gambles.

Celebrity knows full well who spends more $$, by age range, cabin choice, and various other demographics. They can’t discriminate against a couple who don’t spend anything on board, so they are using the current way of charging for a solo passenger cabin to make up what they perceive as lost revenue, by not having two in a cabin.

Don’ t be surprised if the next thing they implement is a minimum per passenger on board spend requirement (😄). I am a sure, if there was a way to legally do that, they would.

Edited by Straughn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Straughn said:

Sometimes I think Celebrity can’t see the forest for the tree. Which of the following would generate more revenue:

A  couple in a balcony cabin who don’t drink, don’t gamble, doesn’t buy anything in the shops, and just maybe go to one specialty dinner.

OR-

A solo in an interior cabin, who is already paying a double rate, who also buys the premium drink package, the wi-fi, takes a tour or two, goes to specialty dining, and maybe gambles.

Celebrity knows full well who spends more $$, by age range, cabin choice, and various other demographics. They can’t discriminate against a couple who don’t spend anything on board, so they are using the current way of charging for a solo passenger cabin to make up what they perceive as lost revenue, by not having two in a cabin.

Don’ t be surprised if the next thing they implement is a minimum per passenger on board spend requirement (😄). I am a sure, if there was a way to legally do that, they would.

pls dont give them any ideas to feed the greed..   

We are  couple but think that singles could do better elsewhere..Wonder  how it works for singles at  an All Incl  Resort?