Discovery Princess Afternoon tea vs Royal Tea

whataboutport

Has anyone been on Discovery lately? My 6 yr old niece is a little princess and I think she would love afternoon tea. I'm having trouble understanding what's available on Discovery. Afternoon tea in MDR is free but Royal Tea is an upcharge, is this correct? What's the difference?

1 hour ago, whataboutport said:

Has anyone been on Discovery lately? My 6 yr old niece is a little princess and I think she would love afternoon tea. I'm having trouble understanding what's available on Discovery. Afternoon tea in MDR is free but Royal Tea is an upcharge, is this correct? What's the difference?

It was $20 pp with champagne and $10 without.  You would have to check once OB to see if and when it will be offered.  They usually have it on longer cruises, not sure about the 7 day, if that’s yours.

It is a white glove service, with fancier pastries and sandwiches. It usually is held in the center of the piazza (circle), if the ship has one.  Sometimes it could be held in a different venue.

Tbh, I’d just do the free afternoon tea in the MDR, on sea days, as there is already a huge amount of food and very nice.  She would probably love it.  Most of the MDR teatime’s they wear white gloves also, except once, that I recall.

We usually do tea time on our balcony or room because it’s an elite benefit we enjoy.

The afternoon tea in MDR is quite nice and normally available every sea day. We enjoy it and have had it on Discovery. You are welcome to eat as much as you like of the offerings, but much are served from silver plate trays. 

The Royal Tea I think is in the atrium, which is not my favorite atmosphere and the extras make it more food than is needed at that hour. We always get the Plus package so if we want a glass of Prosecco with the regular tea, we can just ask for it or bring it from a bar.

Edited by EconDoc

I have not seen Royal Tea in a long time...   So, this could be wrong?

But, last time I did..  if you are thinking 'Princess'...  the Royal Tea is the thing.

They really went all out to set it up..  white tablecloths, roses on the table, tea cup and plate set up... full personalized service.

Is not the regular tea more like another offering in one of the midship main dining rooms?

16 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have not seen Royal Tea in a long time...   So, this could be wrong?

But, last time I did..  if you are thinking 'Princess'...  the Royal Tea is the thing.

They really went all out to set it up..  white tablecloths, roses on the table, tea cup and plate set up... full personalized service.

Is not the regular tea more like another offering in one of the midship main dining rooms?

Correct. Royal Tea on Princess ships is an upgraded afternoon tea - white glove, individual goodie towers, upgraded teas, rose in table, etc.  

Afternoon Tea in MDR is nice also, but nowhere near as personal. 

Buffet also has afternoon tea items including scones, etc.