Azamara v P and O

Interestedcruisefan

We have a chance to fit in a 12 night cruise on azamara  pursuit whilst we are in Cape Town

First glance it appears they include drinks (not sure which ones) and gratuities

Looks like small ships

Less entertainment but great food 

Price seems ok - if quality is good and drinks and gratuities are included 1900 ish per person for 12pm nights in outside view cabin

Can anybody recommend?

Or warn me of anything I need take account of before I book compared to P and O

The ships are small and all the same. They bought P&O’s Adonia a lovely ship. A great showroom at rear of ship and small cinema which also had classical musicians. 
I would sail Azamara anytime if the price was right but I’m not sure it is your style. Too small and not enough going on. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

The ships are small and all the same. They bought P&O’s Adonia a lovely ship. A great showroom at rear of ship and small cinema which also had classical musicians. 
I would sail Azamara anytime if the price was right but I’m not sure it is your style. Too small and not enough going on. 

Takes us to places we would need to road trip to though from Cape Town

Richards Bay and Port Elizabeth 

And not too keen on driving over there 

I had looked at Rovos Rail but much more expensive to travel with them 

Are the drinks that are included good quality?

My wife would drink sparkling wine and I would drink gin and tonics mainly

Perhaps a glass of wine each with dinner as well?

I realise this is the opposite of Arvia in terms of ship but we like quality as well 

Looks like they have a jazz band as well on board which we enjoy

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I realise this is the opposite of Arvia in terms of ship but we like quality as well 

Absolutely loved Azamara , the drinks package is really good with plenty of choice of good quality wines and spirits ,you can upgrade to the superior package but tbh its not worth it (personal opinion ) , the food was superb as was the level of service in every department , smaller ships for sure but really well furnished , I would say two weeks would be enough for us as night time entertainment is limited , nice clientele on board and a classy feel to everything , as for comparing to P and O I feel you would notice the difference even before you step on board.

We will definitely sail with them again when the time and itinerary is correct 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We have a chance to fit in a 12 night cruise on azamara  pursuit whilst we are in Cape Town

First glance it appears they include drinks (not sure which ones) and gratuities

Looks like small ships

Price seems ok - if quality is good and drinks and gratuities are included 1900 ish per person for 12pm nights in outside view cabin

Can anybody recommend?

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

While we have no experience of the Pursuit we have sailed on her three times when she was P&O’s Adonia between 2013-17, You already appreciate that’s it’s a small ship probably boutique by today’s standards. Only one large MDR but two small speciality restaurants no theatre but a large show lounge and a crow’s nest (Living room) although there are smaller venues. The decor appears to be lightened now to suit a more modern taste, the main staircase used to be very traditional. The prom deck is not continuous but there is a small jogging track up top and the pool area is small. On the plus side a one of the “R” ships they were ahead of their time, a high proportion of balconies.

The main advantage of such a ship as you have alluded to is it’s allowed to go where other are not, small Caribbean islands and small ports and will  fit the Kiel canal. Although I do not know about the ports that you mention.

P1050446.JPG

• Thanks 1

IMG_2089(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.15ec760d940455176f5807576c071cb7.JPGIMG_2090(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.3760fbe1c68fe291216c15f78cb672db.JPG

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Looks like small ships

Can anybody recommend?

photos of when she was Adonia

IMG_2301 (2020_06_27 15_01_18 UTC).JPG

IMG_2075 (2020_06_27 15_01_18 UTC).JPG

IMG_3696 (2020_06_27 15_01_18 UTC).JPG

IMG_3699 (2020_06_27 15_01_18 UTC).JPG

IMG_3700 (2020_06_27 15_01_18 UTC).JPG

IMG_3706 (2020_06_27 15_01_18 UTC).JPG

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Absolutely loved Azamara , the drinks package is really good with plenty of choice of good quality wines and spirits ,you can upgrade to the superior package but tbh its not worth it (personal opinion ) , the food was superb as was the level of service in every department , smaller ships for sure but really well furnished , I would say two weeks would be enough for us as night time entertainment is limited , nice clientele on board and a classy feel to everything , as for comparing to P and O I feel you would notice the difference even before you step on board.

We will definitely sail with them again when the time and itinerary is correct 

I agree with all the above and I too love Azamara.   Did three cruises on the journey back around 2010/2011 and then another last year on the Pursuit in the Med.    Presumably you are going to use the cruise to get you to places you want to be and for that purpose it would be perfect.  In fact, I wouldn’t compare it to P and O at all - it is a totally different product.   There is entertainment - ie the white night where officers serve your food on deck, an amaazing evening when you will experience local culture plus some very talented singers on board.    The food is fantastic and I seem to recall some nice cocktails which I know you enjoy.   You might have to gallop round the deck five times to use up your boundless energy though!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please be aware that the deck 6 ocean view cabins are restricted view (life boats) and are smaller then those on deck 4 (no sofa).  In truth, they are really tight (in fact sold as singles cabins on sister ships with Oceania).

With Azamara being a more “port intensive” cruise line then P&O, entertainment is certainly more “low key” but the evening meal along with their “White night” and “Azamazing” evening certainly add to experience.

We were on Iona 2 weeks ago and had a great time, real value for money.  We also look forward to sailing on the Pursuit in March. 

Regards

• Thanks 1

We have been on Pursuit and it is fine, as said all ships the same.  Drinks very good for us with other inclusions.  We loved Azamara and if it is going to where you want a no brainer imo.  Open sitting, so no restrictions on dining and it works well.  Can get into some good ports and far better mooring position for the bigger ports usually.

In the Med it was a lot of US passengers which does make for a different atmosphere than P&O, but it is a refined atmosphere, though not stuffy.  You can ask for a table for two if you want, so will not have to share, but can have that option.  Port Intensive Itineraries, so not usually many sea days and will likely have a late night when they take everyone out to a cultural event for the "Azamazing Evening" to fit in with the destination, so basically a free excursion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to add.  No formals, but people wore decent clothes in the MDR. The White night is an onboard deck party one evening, could be on a late night in port, so no rocking about.  The officers serve the food from a buffet and people generally wear white, but you do not have to buy a complete white outfit, perhaps a white shirt and other trousers would do, or maybe a beige outfit.  Most people will be in white or something like I suggest.  In practice there will be a lot of people around, so your  clothes would be mainly visible from the waist up, hence trousers not so important, but I would wear a neutral colour.

We were taken to an historic opera house in Livorno for our Azamazing evening, but the program was not a normal opera performance - more like what you may get on a cruise ship as a theatre act.  It was good and worth going for the venue, which was totally booked out to the ship on that occasion.  You may be able to find out what is planned for a specific cruise or someone on the Azamara boards could indicate what is normally done in South Africa.  I would expect some local entertainment, provided in an on shore venue.

• Thanks 1

Adonia, now Azamara Pursuit, arriving in my homeport in Scotland.

I've worked extensively as a port guide on the Azamara fleet over the last decade.   Lovely ships and crew.    Pleased to hear you're going for it.    I wouldn't have hesitated either.

IMG_0542.JPG

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Booked it now. With some great extra discount from our TA as well

1738 per person 12 nights Cape Town Africa cruise inside cabin

We were already in Capetown for a month in a cheap but nice airbnb near Sea Point. Flying in and out with Virgin.

And I was looking to add a nice experience but had never imagined a 12 nights cruise would be the thing to add

It's not costing much more than 3 nights luxury train journey on Rovos Rail!!  Which would have been 1500 ish per person!

We will add in some Safari days out from Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

Also going to do a couple of nights in the winelands and use the wine tram whilst we are there 

We've had a successful Christmas for our business so now is the time to enjoy the fruits of our labour! No point working hard then not enjoying it!!

Next target next few days is to do enough sales with our business to warrant upgrading to upper class on Virgin for our outbound flight. We've set ourselves a new target for that. 

Virgin have got an auction happening for upper class upgrades!!

Minimum bid 830 per person. 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3

You have had a lot of good advice already but I would like to add my ‘pennyworth’ too.

We did our first Azamara cruise in November 2022 from Lisbon to Cape Town on Journey and loved every moment of the cruise and Cape Town itself.

Below is what I wrote in my diary which confirms a lot of what others have already said but may have something new.

Azamara cruise line 

• All 4 ships are small R-Class ships with a tonnage of 30,000 and passenger capacity of approximately 650. 
  • It is very much ‘boutique’ style cruising with very good food and AI for all drinks including coffee and water. I particularly liked the Mosaic café for a great barista coffee and nibbles. 
  • Gratuities are included in the fare. 
  • Cabins are fairly small unless in a suite. 
  • There is a ‘show lounge’ not a theatre so there are no ‘production shows’ as seen on the big ships but the show team worked hard to do a variety of shows and we had guest entertainers as well 
  • Activities are quite low-key but there are plenty of options particularly on sea days.  
  •  The sun beds have very thick padding and the towels are also quite luxurious. 
  • Passengers were well travelled and many are repeat passengers. 
  • Service is very good overall. 
  • Our ‘Azamazing’ evening was replaced with visits from cultural groups in The Gambia, Ghana and Angola. The groups were very professional and performed music, songs and dances from their cultures. 
  • The MDR operates open seating and we were usually able to request the same table and servers. 
  •  I thought the buffet offerings were excellent and particularly loved the evening themed menus with food from different regions of the world. 
    IMG_1448.thumb.jpeg.50190ec3909d70134d867aff073040e7.jpeg

• IMG_1484.thumb.jpeg.ac9021d58e24e1605ed8feff4fee57a6.jpeg

Cabin 8018 - inside. 

• We booked the lowest grade inside cabin and were upgraded to a higher deck but still inside. 
  • The cabin is quite small especially compared with inside cabins on other ships but we don’t spend a lot of time in the cabin so it wasn’t a problem. 
  • The beds were comfortable.  
  • There is plenty of storage. 
  • We have a small settee and coffee table. 
  • There is a fridge, safe and hairdryer.  
  • The bathroom is tiny and the shower has a curtain. Fortunately, the shower itself is powerful. 
  • There are good quality toiletries. 
  • There is a big TV with free films and some tv channels. 
  • THERE ISN’T A HOSTESS TRAY…..very disappointing!!….but our steward replaced bottled water regularly, brought ice and kept the fridge stocked with tonic water - thank you Paolo. IMG_1436.thumb.jpeg.d82b1caf5ad238b9868c2f4eb2c6ecc8.jpeg
  •  
  • IMG_1435.thumb.jpeg.37f0bff801b6522a5cfccdda9ad9fa5c.jpeg

The ship was beautifully decorated for Christmas

IMG_1491.thumb.jpeg.73b257de69fc1104ea2c4cc926aeda30.jpeg

I showed this to my DH in the hope of getting a surprise Christmas present but he just laughed!!IMG_1447.thumb.jpeg.42e2f7298ade1d833e1e94ee0ce10fc1.jpegpresent 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We never saw the pool side crowded and there were always plenty of unoccupied loungers so never felt the need to get up early.

Have you been to South Africa before. Cape Town is in our top 3 most favourite cities in the world. 
We found driving in that part of the country easy as people drive on the left and road signs are in English. We did stick to main roads though.

If you haven’t been to CT before I would highly recommend going up Table Mountain and suggest that you get to the able car at opening time as it is less busy. We were extremely grateful that we had very warm clothing with us as, although it was hot at base level, it was very chilly and windy at the top.

IMG_5582.thumb.jpeg.b925521c05fdea156c3fb71e7406554b.jpegIMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.18b0b83b7a65480e996e028362a73a7d.jpegIMG_5597.thumb.jpeg.56d6e381fd98523fcb619d18ad28ed59.jpeg

IMG_5590.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adonia, as she was when we were on her, has a lot of tables *outside* the buffet, at the rear of the ship, which are perfect for lazy breakfasts in the sun

An omelette/minute steak/kidney station too, when P&O

Bon appetit 

I’m not jealous at all

Enjoy!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Adonia, as she was when we were on her, has a lot of tables *outside* the buffet, at the rear of the ship, which are perfect for lazy breakfasts in the sun

An omelette/minute steak/kidney station too, when P&O

Bon appetit 

I’m not jealous at all

Enjoy!

Yes we've already spotted some outside dining options which we will certainly use 

Height of summer over there when we travel as well

The fitness center looks great as well

And the running track will just mean 14 laps for a mile for my wife rather than the usual 7 ish laps on Arvia!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We will add in some Safari days out from Port Elizabeth and Richards Bay

Loads of options I guess for safari stays around Port Elizabeth but if you're interested in a personal recommendation I would suggest the Amakhala Game Reserve which is about 70km north east of Port Elizabeth.

About 10 years ago we did a 3 week driving holiday in South Africa (Rorke's Drift, Isandlwana battle fields first) then flew to Cape Town and did the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth before heading back west to Cape Town.

We had 3 nights in the Woodbury Lodge in Amakhala and it was fantastic. Small group game tours and well organised. We saw all the major species and too many birds to recall. I've included a link below FYI.

https://www.amakhala.co.za/

• Thanks 1