Ship WiFi needed for booking (iPhone app) VPN

zitsky

Waiting until tomorrow to cancel a reservation.  Staff said I can do it in the app.  BUT it gives me a message that I’m not on Ship’s WiFi?  I did install a VPN but I am NOT connected.  My husband has a CANCEL THIS button but I don’t and I made the reservations.

Yes of course I’ll talk to someone.  I just want to hear if someone has seen this.

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Waiting until tomorrow to cancel a reservation.  Staff said I can do it in the app.  BUT it gives me a message that I’m not on Ship’s WiFi?  I did install a VPN but I am NOT connected.  My husband has a CANCEL THIS button but I don’t and I made the reservations.

Yes of course I’ll talk to someone.  I just want to hear if someone has seen this.

not sure if you meant you are not connected to vpn or something else so just in case……….

When you are using vpn, the local network is not normally visible to your device. That is why you get the error that your not on ships WiFi. Anytime you need to do anything on the ships network you will need to disable vpn and then reenable it when you are done.

Should your vpn have split tunneling then you should be able to see the ship’s network without disabling vpn….

cheers

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

not sure if you meant you are not connected to vpn or something else so just in case……….

When you are using vpn, the local network is not normally visible to your device. That is why you get the error that your not on ships WiFi. Anytime you need to do anything on the ships network you will need to disable vpn and then reenable it when you are done.

Should your vpn have split tunneling then you should be able to see the ship’s network without disabling vpn….

cheers

Maybe you missed the part where I said “I have a VPN but I am NOT connected.  (To a VPN).”

Thanks anyway.

Even though I am ON ship WiFi the app doesn’t seem to understand that I am CONNECTED to ship WiFi.  So I can’t do any functions in the app requiring WiFi.

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, fliprcruiser said:

I often have to temporarily disable VPN when on ship.

Please explain what you mean by disable VPN.  Turn off?  Uninstall VPN software?

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Can you go to one of their computers (ilounge) and just sign in to your MyCelebrity account there to take care of it?

I can pick up the telephone.  The purpose of my post was to find out if anyone else had this problem.

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Please explain what you mean by disable VPN.  Turn off?  Uninstall VPN software?

Thanks.

Just turning it off works for me.  I usually use the VPN app to do it but to make sure you can go to settings and make sure it is off there.

The app has different functions when it detects the ship wifi than it does when you are connected via the internet.  I always remember to disable vpn when I look at my onboard account and see 0.00.

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

I can pick up the telephone.  The purpose of my post was to find out if anyone else had this problem.

The issue may be user specific and not relevant to others because there are many different VPN's and some devices have a built in VPN. Android OS does but not the iPhone. You can install a VPN and turn it off but the built in one may be on preventing you from completing the tasks you need the ships wi-fi for. If you are not sure if your VPN is really off you can uninstall it. 

Android includes a built-in (PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and IPSec) VPN client. Devices running Android 4.0 and later also support VPN apps. You might need a VPN app (instead of built-in VPN) for the following reasons: To configure the VPN using an enterprise mobility management (EMM) console.

Easily fixed. Ditch the VPN. Why do you need it? As you know on iPhone If you've installed a VPN that makes changes to your DNS, messed with location or privacy settings you will frequently have this problem. Or just having your husband click the cancel button seems like a simple option too. 

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.

My 3rd party VPN has a button where I can turn it off as needed. Example is a banking app. Can't make mobile deposit when VPN is active, so I go to VPN app, click on "connected" button and it disconnects. Reverse steps when done.

My Samsung phone is android, and ExpressVPN is client I use.

Posted (edited)

I figured this out.  Internet tech gave me part of it.  It was a combination of turning off 1) private WiFi IP address and 2) IP address tracking.

Seems ok after turning those off.  I can access ship functionality like my account that I couldn’t before.

And whoever asked “why vpn”.  It’s for security.  Some people need to access secure sites and don’t want to do it over an insecure public WiFi.

Edited by zitsky

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I figured this out.  Internet tech gave me part of it.  It was a combination of turning off 1) private WiFi IP address and 2) IP address tracking.

Seems ok after turning those off.  I can access ship functionality like my account that I couldn’t before.

And whoever asked “why vpn”.  It’s for security.  Some people need to access secure sites and don’t want to do it over an insecure public WiFi.

You disable the VPN in iPhone settings (can search the settings for "VPN"), you connect to the ship wifi then can go back to VPN settings and turn it back on if you wish

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You disable the VPN in iPhone settings (can search the settings for "VPN"), you connect to the ship wifi then can go back to VPN settings and turn it back on if you wish

I use a vpn provider.  Haven’t tried doing it through iPhone settings.  Anyway I found a solution that works for me.

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

Maybe you missed the part where I said “I have a VPN but I am NOT connected.  (To a VPN).”

Guess you issued the first sentence of my reply offering some ides, no worries that ship has sailed happy not to offer help where it isn’t needed

14 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

Guess you issued the first sentence of my reply offering some ides, no worries that ship has sailed happy not to offer help where it isn’t needed

Um.  Ok.

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Sorry - I have never encountered that problem.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I use a vpn provider.  Haven’t tried doing it through iPhone settings.  Anyway I found a solution that works for me.

Care to share what your solution was with the rest of us in case we do come across it?

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Care to share what your solution was with the rest of us in case we do come across it?

WIFI SETTINGS

PRIVATE IP ADDRESS *** OFF ***

LIMIT IP ADRESS TRACKING *** OFF ***

• Like 1