Pre cruise land trip itinerary advice needed

EP23

Hello everyone,

I am planing a 2024 July to Aug alaska trip for the family.

We can arrive midnight on sunday July 28. Will rent a car. So far confirmed 4 people (may add 2 more), me, paralyzed husband on wheelchair (foldable, will bring power and manual), mother and father in law (both age 70 +). Into seeing wildlife and nature. Not into mine or museum, But mother in law would like to see totem.

I have done some survey and research of what the family want to do.

1. Denali nation park.

2. Train ride ( we will be driving the Turnagain and to wildlife center, so the train ride from anchorage to Whitter may not be as "WOW" since we will be driving there once already, any other route for suggestion? - Our ports are Icy strait point, Juneau, Ketchikan, ***NO Skagway)

3. Land Tour (preferred), boat tour or flight tour to see bears catching fishs, glaciers, marine wildlife (budget $400, saw some cheapest for bear viewing by boat one ask for $675)

I have researched some locations so am familiar with areas such as Palmer. But have not been looking at Homer or Seward area yet. So would like to know for a 5.5 day pre cruise land trip (which includes drive all the way up to Denali - mostly will eat up at least 2.5 days), dose anyone have suggestions of where to take a train ride and tour (self or guided, Land preferred due to disability) to see animal beside of Denali park? 

I was looking at some boat tour from Homer or anchor point to chinitna bay in lake Clark national park. But worry about not have enough time for all. 

also thinking about taking a train ride from anchorage to Seward for some cruise tour and visit the exit glacier so that the family can check out the bucket list. But also may not have time for all. ( also wonder the train ride from anchorage to Whittier vs girlhood to Seward , which route more scenic? )

Thank you in advance.

I have other suggested NOT to go to homer or Seward location due to time restrictions and have disabled family that may take even longer time for transmute. Thought about that ?

In addition to the advice you get here on Cruise Critic, I'd also suggest research on the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska travel: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

Don't underestimate your driving times in Alaska. Whatever Google Maps is giving you, add 30%.

Where is your cruise departing from: Seward or Whittier?

With 5.5 days, I don't think you'll have time for Denali National Park and Homer. You'll have to pick one or the other.

Scenic Train Ride: You can use the Alaska Railroad to reach your port on the day of your cruise. This route south of Anchorage is scenic. If you want to do a train trip as a day activity, you can do the Glacier Discovery Train to Grandview.

Lots of totems in Ketch (check if docked at Ward Cove), wild bear road tour in ISP, animals at wildlife center (viewing like zoo). Whales in Juneau. Time to start eliminating things because of time and money.  Forget about Denali. Forget about Palmer & Homer. Flights to see anything all out of budget. Flight arrival at midnight jet lag big time. Boat glacier tour near ship departure possible.  Because of glacier receding Juneau viewing not that great unless from Helo.  Check if tours will work with wheelchair. Check youtube for videos of tours you think you are interested in and will work. 

Which cruise line?  With Icy Strait on your itinerary it must be NCL?

There’s a website www.travelalaska.com that has a lot of information about Alaska.  You need more information about the area so that you can narrow down your choices.

Seeing animals in the wild is not guaranteed.  You will see animals at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.   There is a lot to see in the Seward/Anchorage/Turnagain Arm area.  

I would skip Denali.  It’s a long drive to and from and in order to get into the park itself you would need to take a tour like the Tundra Wilderness Tour.  Read about it on nps.gov (select Denali National Park).

Have you considered using a travel agent to help you plan your trip?

6 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

There’s a website www.travelalaska.com that has a lot of information about Alaska.  You need more information about the area so that you can narrow down your choices.

Seeing animals in the wild is not guaranteed.  You will see animals at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.   There is a lot to see in the Seward/Anchorage/Turnagain Arm area.  

I would skip Denali.  It’s a long drive to and from and in order to get into the park itself you would need to take a tour like the Tundra Wilderness Tour.  Read about it on nps.gov (select Denali National Park).

Surprise surprise! 
it is princess … 😔 they take out Skagway and put icy strait…. And we really want to do train ride at Skagway but now … just not possible 😔

6 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I am actually planing it myself. I have done quit a bit of research… 

Family really wants to try Denali…. Which I already told them Denali road close, only able to do 1/3 of the road there due to landslide. 70 % of people cannot see the Denali mountain due to weather. Need to take tour bus. Only able to drive the first 15 miles out own. Need to drive at least 6 hours one way to get there, road driving there is not as scenic, nothing interesting on the way to Denali except maybe at Palmer have little something, so very boring drive, and wildlife is not guarantee, even you see them, they maybe very very far away….. guess what. They still want to go 😂 🤦🏻‍♀️

Posted (edited)

.  Princess and Holland America have cruise tours that travel to Denali by luxury train cars with a dining car, hotel accommodations at the entrance to Denali, and HAL includes the Tundra wIlderness Tour with transportation into the park beginning at your hotel.  You will see animals on this tour.  All of your luggage and accommodations will be managed by staff.  Also, the train cars have a person who narrates your journey.  You will learn a lot about Alaska.  

Princess cruise tours are more likely to include a shorter tour, the Natural History Tour, it does not go into the park far enough to see the animals.  You would have to ask them to include the Tundra Wilderness tour.

If you drive, you will need to arrange hotel accommodations for two nights at Denali and purchase tickets in advance for the Tundra Wilderness Tour.  You are planning to travel at the busiest time for the park.  If you drive you will be able to enjoy a rest stop at Talkeetna.    The road will be scenic and you may want to make other stops.  Also, it rains a lot in Alaska.

Alaska has a lot of tourists from May to September.  Make your reservations well in advance.

You will enjoy Icy Strait.  It is a very scenic and active port. 

Edited by oaktreerb

Posted (edited)

I say to late for 24 and start planning for 2025 when you have a chance to figure things out. Just cruise in 24 and plan for longer stay with cruise tour or at least use their info for guidance in 25 when Denali has a chance to be open further into park. Palmer is out of the way. Couple state parks on the way to DNP worth a stop for views. Check youtubes. 

Edited by SightCRR
spelling

On 12/31/2023 at 10:41 PM, EP23 said:

Hello everyone,

I am planing a 2024 July to Aug alaska trip for the family.

We can arrive midnight on sunday July 28. Will rent a car. So far confirmed 4 people (may add 2 more), me, paralyzed husband on wheelchair (foldable, will bring power and manual), mother and father in law (both age 70 +). Into seeing wildlife and nature. Not into mine or museum, But mother in law would like to see totem.

I have done some survey and research of what the family want to do.

1. Denali nation park.

2. Train ride ( we will be driving the Turnagain and to wildlife center, so the train ride from anchorage to Whitter may not be as "WOW" since we will be driving there once already, any other route for suggestion? - Our ports are Icy strait point, Juneau, Ketchikan, ***NO Skagway)

3. Land Tour (preferred), boat tour or flight tour to see bears catching fishs, glaciers, marine wildlife (budget $400, saw some cheapest for bear viewing by boat one ask for $675)

I have researched some locations so am familiar with areas such as Palmer. But have not been looking at Homer or Seward area yet. So would like to know for a 5.5 day pre cruise land trip (which includes drive all the way up to Denali - mostly will eat up at least 2.5 days), dose anyone have suggestions of where to take a train ride and tour (self or guided, Land preferred due to disability) to see animal beside of Denali park? 

I was looking at some boat tour from Homer or anchor point to chinitna bay in lake Clark national park. But worry about not have enough time for all. 

also thinking about taking a train ride from anchorage to Seward for some cruise tour and visit the exit glacier so that the family can check out the bucket list. But also may not have time for all. ( also wonder the train ride from anchorage to Whittier vs girlhood to Seward , which route more scenic? )

Thank you in advance.

I have other suggested NOT to go to homer or Seward location due to time restrictions and have disabled family that may take even longer time for transmute. Thought about that ?

I have been to Alaska several times and always rent a car and do everything on my own and of course the best is to see Denali and I believe that the drive from Anchorage to Valdez is probably the most beautiful drive ever.  If you have time to do this after going to Denali you won't be sorry that you did.  If you go to the Russian River on the Kenai Pennisula along the boardwalk during the Salmon run you will see bears catching salmon and not paying a fortune to see it.  

Late July and early August can be very busy on the Kenai Peninsula as that usually is the second salmon run. Also reserve your rental car early as they go fast. There is only one route south and can get quite congested ,sometimes even closed because of accidents , so allow plenty of travel time. Also be aware of bears and moose when in the wild , especially if it is a mother with young (don't ask me how I know.) Both Homer and Seward are unique towns and if time permits would be well worth the drive. I will be up there first of July to mid August as that is prime fishing time. Enjoy your trip.

On 1/1/2024 at 1:18 PM, oaktreerb said:

Considering Celebrity, Royal, Holland, Disney, Carnival, Princess, Oceana, Cunard, Regent, and NCL all go to Icy Straight Point.

53 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Considering Celebrity, Royal, Holland, Disney, Carnival, Princess, Oceana, Cunard, Regent, and NCL all go to Icy Straight Point.

OP hadn’t indicated the cruise line and it was a leading question.  OP indicated it was Princess.  I’ve been there on HAL several years ago and ISP is a very nice port.  We walked to Hoonah.  ISP is welcoming a lot of cruise lines.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:07 PM, EP23 said:

Surprise surprise! 
it is princess … 😔 they take out Skagway and put icy strait…. And we really want to do train ride at Skagway but now … just not possible 😔

If you stop in Haines you can do the White Pass train from there.