Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TigerB said:

now you won't have to look out for @mrsgoggins on the quayside in Funchal, or traipse around all the farmácias, hoping that your request doesn't get lost in translation and risk them giving you something for your motions rather than your motion sickness.🤭

🤣 I thought about anticipating a rough transatlantic and also getting some v iagra to stop me rolling out of bed. The old ones are the best 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Haha 21

12 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Maybe ask at the Excursion desk as they might have information. 
we took the excursion to the Space Centre at Canaveral and it was all on the flat and very interesting seeing the Apollo craft.

Thanks for your report. 

I’m booked on the Kennedy Space centre transfer. I couldn’t believe the price until I looked at the admission prices on their website and, after loyalty discount, it’s cheaper doing the P&O excursion and no stress about getting back. My wife isn’t coming. The transfer isn’t wheelchair accessible but she has been there before as we visited when in Orlando years ago and she’s not as interested in it as me!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I’m booked on the Kennedy Space centre transfer. I couldn’t believe the price until I looked at the admission prices on their website and, after loyalty discount, it’s cheaper doing the P&O excursion and no stress about getting back. My wife isn’t coming. The transfer isn’t wheelchair accessible but she has been there before as we visited when in Orlando years ago and she’s not as interested in it as me!

As much as I hate parting with my money the Kennedy centre was well worth the outlay, we did the P&O trip as it was no more expensive and more convenient than going it alone.

• Like 8

The open top hop on / hop off bus trips in Madeira are excellent - the regular red bus or yellow bus ones. 
Last time in Madeira we decided to go out on our own and right outside the ship was a yellow open top bus waiting with P&O signs next to it.

We just got on and you could pay using onboard credit. It was just the regular yellow bus but boarding at the port was just for our ship - and it came back to the ship.

It wasn’t a booked excursion.

thanks for updates Selbourne.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TigerB said:

Another great report, young man!👍

It's handy that your good lady had a 'safe place' for the drugs stash; now you won't have to look out for @mrsgoggins on the quayside in Funchal, or traipse around all the farmácias, hoping that your request doesn't get lost in translation and risk them giving you something for your motions rather than your motion sickness.🤭

I tend to pack a microfibre cloth for the balcony doors and glass; five minutes of my time saves the stress of waiting for the cabin steward to do it.

The flag talk sounds like something I would like.

Enjoy you day on Madeira.

I would imagine that if you ask your steward he might clean your balcony glass. Although this does now seem to be done by deck by a group of deck hands, but not necessarily when you need it.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

That is certainly something that we would want to do if we ever visited Port Canaveral in the future, having been quite a few years ago. The quoted price is indeed good. It's a shame that the agents don't put on an accessible transfer given that it is only a short journey there and the centre caters well for wheelchair visitors. Our lass wouldn't want to miss it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would imagine that if you ask your steward he might clean your balcony glass. Although this does now seem to be done by deck by a group of deck hands, but not necessarily when you need it.

I have and they have, but not always when we have wanted it doing. Five minutes out of my time is nothing to me, and we get it done when we want and cleaned to my satisfaction. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

🤣 I thought about anticipating a rough transatlantic and also getting some v iagra to stop me rolling out of bed. The old ones are the best 😂 

Handy if you go to the cinema, it will stop the person in front reclining their seat.

• Haha 12

22 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We weren’t overly enamoured with the lunch menu so went to the Glasshouse. I had the Indian Feast. Wouldn’t have it again but at £4.50 who can complain. In fact we were just saying that whilst we appreciate that the prices are supplements, as you have already paid for lunch elsewhere in the cruise fare, the prices are around one-third of what we pay at home. 

IMG_1016.jpeg

Hi Selbourne we’re aboard as well haven’t read all the blog so apologies if you’ve posted about the extra menu in the MDR last night what are your thoughts on that? The meals we’ve had so far have been good as has every aspect of the cruise, weather not too bad just hope it holds for us going across the pond

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Hi Selbourne we’re aboard as well haven’t read all the blog so apologies if you’ve posted about the extra menu in the MDR last night what are your thoughts on that? The meals we’ve had so far have been good as has every aspect of the cruise, weather not too bad just hope it holds for us going across the pond

Greetings fellow shipmate! As with all our other cruises over the past year we haven’t been offered the extra cost menu in the MDR (P&Os best kept secret) but we know that it’s available (as it was on all the other ships) as one of the couples that we had lunch with the other day (who are in Freedom dining) mentioned it. Others on the table seemed disbelieving of them, so I was able to show them the menu and photos of each course from when I’d tried it on Ventura. Having sampled it on Ventura (where MDR food was excellent) I thought that the main was good but the starter and desert poor. Personal taste of course. Thankfully the MDR food so far on Aurora hasn’t given me cause to ask for it, but I’m sure there will come a time when I might fancy the main again. 

Did you notice quite a few people getting on this morning with suitcases? I’m wondering if, like last year (apparently), a number were refused boarding in Southampton (yellow fever certificates etc) and had to fly out to join the cruise at Madeira? Perhaps this could explain the four missing people on our dinner table? It will be interesting to see if we have any others joining us tonight!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Handy if you go to the cinema, it will stop the person in front reclining their seat.

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Oh - you boys are so naughty 😂😂

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Todays MDR menus

IMG_1019.jpeg

main menu on right hand side… chicken with rice, coleslaw and chips… strange to have rice and chips, but then they add GRAVY too??? That just sounds a bizarre combination to me… rice, coleslaw and gravy!  I’d love to know what that was actually like 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

main menu on right hand side… chicken with rice, coleslaw and chips… strange to have rice and chips, but then they add GRAVY too??? That just sounds a bizarre combination to me… rice, coleslaw and gravy!  I’d love to know what that was actually like 😂

I might have to try it to see if it’s as odd as it sounds 😂

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Greetings fellow shipmate! As with all our other cruises over the past year we haven’t been offered the extra cost menu in the MDR (P&Os best kept secret) but we know that it’s available (as it was on all the other ships) as one of the couples that we had lunch with the other day (who are in Freedom dining) mentioned it. Others on the table seemed disbelieving of them, so I was able to show them the menu and photos of each course from when I’d tried it on Ventura. Having sampled it on Ventura (where MDR food was excellent) I thought that the main was good but the starter and desert poor. Personal taste of course. Thankfully the MDR food so far on Aurora hasn’t given me cause to ask for it, but I’m sure there will come a time when I might fancy the main again. 

Did you notice quite a few people getting on this morning with suitcases? I’m wondering if, like last year (apparently), a number were refused boarding in Southampton (yellow fever certificates etc) and had to fly out to join the cruise at Madeira? Perhaps this could explain the four missing people on our dinner table? It will be interesting to see if we have any others joining us tonight!

We only noticed the menu last night for the first time the crew didn’t say anything I just happened to have a look at it and was surprised by it, all our table companions thought it was a wine list and when they looked at it the general consensus was how much longer till everything will be extra. Despite being one of P&Os fiercest critics lately due to poor experiences on other ships so far this has been very enjoyable long may it continue. Hopefully we’ll bump into you at some point and apologies in advance for not answering again till we get to Bermuda. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Some shots from the ‘Leisurely scenes of (misty) Madeira’ this afternoon. We were just unlucky with the weather. 

IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

They are fabulous photos - I'd be sticking to food shots only from now on had we shared more of the itinerary  - you put me to shame 😁

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

When on Arcadia, I heard that people were refused Aurora boarding due to some cabins (flooded during storm) not being dried out in time. 

16 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

When on Arcadia, I heard that people were refused Aurora boarding due to some cabins (flooded during storm) not being dried out in time. 

Not heard that but I’ll keep my ear to the ground! If true, I hope they got a good deal for the hassle. 

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Not heard that but I’ll keep my ear to the ground! If true, I hope they got a good deal for the hassle. 

I think it was mentioned on a thread on CC at embarkation, some folk were turned away as their cabins were damaged.

19 hours ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 4 - Saturday 6th January- Sea Day

We woke to much calmer seas (force 4) and the sun had come out for more than a fleeting appearance, resulting in a comparatively balmy 16 degrees by mid morning. 

The MDR is far quicker to get in to for breakfast than it was on Ventura but, once seated, service is slow. I asked for a pot of decaf tea, as the hot drinks service is sparse, but they can’t do that apparently (they can if they want to, as we have discovered previously). I had my first hot breakfast of the cruise with Eggs Benedict. You can tell that I am feeling better!

Having collected Britain Today, I asked at reception if there were going to be shuttles at Port Canaveral or Miami, but they don’t know yet 🤔. I managed to get Lady S out on to the promenade deck for the first time, but one lap was enough for her (even in a wheelchair with me pushing)🙄. We then sat on our balcony for a bit. We had the sun on our side and it was quite pleasant. The balcony glass and doors are covered with salt from all the spray of the past 2 days, so if the steward (who I have yet to warm to) doesn’t clean them I shall wipe them over with a wet towel!

Neither of us were terribly taken with the MDR lunch menu, so we went to the Glasshouse. I had the Indian Feast which was vegetarian (which I’m not). I wouldn’t choose it again but, as I posted yesterday, it’s so cheap it doesn’t matter. My wife had the sliders which she liked. I was very envious of her fresh and piping hot French fries 😂. We both washed lunch down with a glass of Money Spider. We didn’t have a pud as we decided to go to the Costa (Raffles?) and you get a freebie cake there. I had a piece of Carrot Cake with my coffee but I couldn’t manage it all. My wife, being virtuous (moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips type), abstained from a cake but hoovered up the bit that I left 🙄. The choice of complimentary cakes, pastries and other things is far better on Aurora than on the other 3 P&O ships we’ve been on over the last year. 

At 3pm we went to a talk on flags which included a brief history of the Union (Jack) flag. It didn’t sound like the most exciting subject, but I found it very interesting. Afterwards I managed seven and a half laps of the promenade deck, during which time I spoke to a chap who is out there a lot with his camera poised for wildlife. He hasn’t seen anything himself yet, but another passenger told him that they’d seen dolphins briefly and a few whale blows. Maybe they were just winding him up 😂 

On the way back to the cabin I passed the torture chamber (gym) and decided to check it out. Whether it was the body odour of those on the machines, or all of those prostrate on the floor with their shoes off (or a combination of the two) I don’t know, but there was a really unpleasant stench in there. That’s all the excuse I need to give it a wide berth for the remainder of the cruise 😂 

The second classical recital was on at 5pm in the Playhouse. My wife still didn’t fancy it. I couldn’t help but notice a few people with quite persistent coughs. I hope that’s not a sign of things to come. As P&O are so fastidious about Covid and Norovirus, perhaps they should add persistent coughs to the things that are grounds for cabin confinement 😂. Maybe it’s just me, but if I had a persistent cough I wouldn’t attend an intimate classical recital where it would become distracting to the performers, as well as other guests 🙄. Whilst there is no doubting the talent of the two musicians, I was a little disappointed to hear that they are remaining on the ship for the transatlantic crossing. The flute is far from my favourite instrument, and it would have been nice to have had a change, such as a violinist. Still, better a flautist than nothing. 

At 7pm there was a Soul and Motown set by Pulse in Carmens. We don’t like the aft show lounges on any of the ships (not great sight lines and poor for wheelchairs) but gave it a go. We got a good position at the front and ordered a mojito each. The Pulse band on this ship aren’t the best we’ve seen. A bit pitchy in places, but a good choice of toe tapping songs. I hadn’t realised that people would get up and dance during the set and, as we were in the front, this was right in front of us. Having been with my wife for 35 years, 25 years of which have seen her disability take more and more hold of her to the point that she now cannot even stand, let alone dance, I could read her mind so asked if she’d like to go somewhere else and, of course, she did. We moved to the Crows Nest but by the time we got there we realised that there wasn’t really enough time to have another drink, so we paid a brief visit to the library but, as is to be expected, all the good stuff has long gone. 

Dinner at 8pm and I had roast beef, which was cooked to perfection. I’d asked for some extra veg and the waiters duly obliged. It looks as though our missing 4 guests will never appear. I’m guessing that they wanted early dining, didn’t get it, and are using the buffet? 

The show was the ventriloquist Gareth Oliver. Neither of us wanted to go but as it wasn’t late I took my wife back to the cabin and decided to pop down on my own, conscious that we had dismissed him without having seen his act. I should have got a clue from the fact that the theatre was only about one third full but I’m afraid that I just didn’t find him in the least bit funny. I noticed a few people leaving so as I was sat towards the back and didn’t have to disturb anyone, I did the same. Just not our thing I’m afraid. 

It’s worth saying that for someone who dislikes sea days and particularly dislikes feeling sea sick, I have coped far better with the 3 sea days down to Madeira than I did on Ventura. I think it’s been a combination of two things. Firstly, I am telling myself that we aren’t on a normal cruise, but living somewhere different for nine and a half weeks. Sounds daft but I think it helps. Secondly, having the internet package has helped me enormously. As well as managing my life as if at home and keeping abreast of news and current affairs (which, given the atrocious TV picture and sound, has been a godsend), I have enjoyed keeping in touch with family and friends and, of course, boring all of you rigid with my ramblings 😂. Time will tell if the 5 days transatlantic once we leave Madeira will pass as easily. 

The forecast for Madeira is 21 degrees but with light rain all day. We aim to wander around Funchal in the morning (@daiB I will keep an eye out for you) and then, after lunch, I’m taking a tour, as I’ve never seen anything of Madeira beyond Funchal. Also, I want to have a full day ashore before our 5 consecutive sea days as we traverse the Atlantic to our second stop, Bermuda. 

Thanks for the interesting reports. Regarding the coughing at the recital, I think a lot of people tend to get an "air-conditioning cough" after a few days, because the air is so dry. If they are like me, they may have hardly coughed all day, but going to something where they want to keep quiet seems to set it off!

Regarding the good books having already gone from the library, it's too late for you now but on a long cruise with lots of sea days I find my Kindle is a godsend. It's far lighter than packing lots of books in your luggage! 

Edited by jh1809
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Thanks for the interesting reports. Regarding the coughing at the recital, I think a lot of people tend to get an "air-conditioning cough" after a few days, because the air is so dry. If they are like me, they may have hardly coughed all day, but going to something where they want to keep quiet seems to set it off!

Regarding the good books having already gone from the library, it's too late for you now but on a long cruise with lots of sea days I find my Kindle is a godsend. It's far lighter than packing lots of books in your luggage! 

Yes could well be that. If it were me I’d leave though, as I’d be terribly conscious of distracting the performers as well as the other audience members!

I bought my wife a Kindle for Xmas but now we are at sea she tells me that she couldn’t quite work out how to download enough books. She has a free trial for the ultimate Amazon ebooks thingy and I tried to download one and it charged her! I need to work out how you establish which ones are free as I’ve failed so far 🙄 😂