Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Used them loads of times and they are usually brilliant. Yesterday was a one off but they simply did not have enough staff booking in cars and the traffic Marshalls (who, to be fair, may not be CPS staff) were not dealing with cars in order of arrival. That was infuriating if, like us, you were trapped in a holding pen for ages watching much later arrivals go straight through. 

I can imagine

Two observations following Selbournes report, firstly I have written confirmation that the welcome onboard lunch will DEFINITLY be a sit down affair on our upcoming world cruise,  I always doubted this as its a given a lot of high tier passengers will be aboard this cruise, so if what happened on Aurora yesterday rolls over to Arcadia on the 6th it will lead me  to believe that anything the company says must be taken with a large pinch of salt ,time will tell.

Secondly it is a well known problem on Aurora that the beds have less room underneath to store suitcases than any of the other ships ,so I assume its the bed manufacture that is the issue ,for most its just an inconvenience ,however in Selbournes (and possibly others ) situation it makes things really difficult ,as for storing suitcases on balconies ,Really?

Best wishes for the rest of what should be a memorable trip😃 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Such a shame you had those issues embarking the ship but I have to say our worst ever embarkation was also at Mayflower and was an absolute shambles.

I hope you manage to get your other issues resolved and that the cruise starts to live up to expectations.

• Like 2

Are you on a WiFi package Selbourne ?

If so which option ?

Starlink went live on Aurora at the end of our last cruise and I tried the “ultimate” for a few days and it was very fast - as good as at home - but I didn’t try “standard” on Starlink - which I expect is easily good enough ? 

thanks 

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Are you on a WiFi package Selbourne ?

If so which option ?

Starlink went live on Aurora at the end of our last cruise and I tried the “ultimate” for a few days and it was very fast - as good as at home - but I didn’t try “standard” on Starlink - which I expect is easily good enough ? 

thanks 

Yes I am but just the basic one. Haven’t used it for much yet other than this blog but seems fine. Logging on all the time due to it dropping due to inactivity is a bit of a faff, but once on it’s pretty good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I am but just the basic one. Haven’t used it for much yet other than this blog but seems fine. Logging on all the time due to it dropping due to inactivity is a bit of a faff, but once on it’s pretty good. 

Thanks - In case you didn’t know Selbourne there is an option box on the WiFi login page(and the main myholiday page) to “remember me” so you don’t have to keep entering all the details.

I saved both these pages to my Home Screen and then you can just open them and press enter. Details are already set.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks - In case you didn’t know Selbourne there is an option box on the WiFi login page(and the main myholiday page) to “remember me” so you don’t have to keep entering all the details.

I saved both these pages to my Home Screen and then you can just open them and press enter. Details are already set.

Yes I have done that. Still need to log back in due to inactivity, but at least you don’t have to enter all the details again - just reactivate guest WiFi then several clicks in different screens to get back on. Bit of a faff compared to being at home, but all do-able!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Selbourne. we had the same problem with our suit cases not being able to fit under the bed, our cabin steward, part covered them with plastic and placed them on the balcony. I was not happy with this arrangement. I finally lifted the bed and then kicked them under, no more problem 

That’s what we do. Lift the bed frame 

DAY 2 - Thursday 4th March - Sea Day

Our first stop is Madeira, and we seem to be having a repeat of the rough crossing that we endured all the way there (and back) on Ventura a couple of months ago. I’d had a poor nights sleep as a combined result of the movement and the creaking from the ceiling above the bed. 

When we unpacked we realised that we had only bought 30 Stugeron tablets (I was convinced we had more), so as my wife had felt poorly one day on Ventura and I’d been fine, I decided to ration them and let her take two the night before and I’d take my chances. Mistake. As soon as I got up and was trying to keep my balance showering and shaving I started feeling nauseous. My wife felt OK. By the time we were both ready for breakfast I was feeling that I was going to be ill, but it passed and we headed to the main dining room. All I could manage was one spoonful of Bircher muesli and one piece of toast! The odd thing is that the sea isn’t half as rough as our last crossing, but there’s a noticeable swell and that seems to be what’s affecting me. 

We didn’t do much during the morning other than read and do emails, but we found a spot in Charlie’s with a comfortable chair (for me - my wife has to stay in her wheelchair) that was reasonably low down and midships. I did a lap of the promenade deck before lunch and at one point was nearly blown off my feet 😂. We went back to the MDR and I managed a light lunch as I was feeling better. We shared with 3 other couples and all enjoyed a nice chat. One lady was (unintentionally) very amusing with her descriptions of experiences on other ships. Let’s just say that the descriptions wouldn’t have passed the political correctness squad. One other chap was struggling to eat his meal as a combination of shock and amusement 😂 

During the afternoon we had a guest lecturer talking about U-Boats. I was looking forward to this but I was really cross with myself as the combination of just having had lunch, a dark and warm theatre and a lot of motion, I nodded through at least half of it. Our dinner companions felt that he didn’t have the best delivery, but I didn’t see enough to comment! Annoyingly I can find it on the TV (they often film the presentations and show them on TV, but I can’t seem to find a channel for that). Incidentally, the TV is even worse than I remember it. Apart from being tiny, the picture quality is dire and even the sound is fuzzy on some channels. It’s bordering on unwatchable. 

After the talk we went back to the cabin for another nap! The captain had said that the sea conditions would ease as the day went on but they didn’t. If anything, they got worse. Spray was hitting our balcony door and we are up high on deck 11 😱 At 5pm I attended a classical recital (flute and piano) with Kelly and Brown in The Playhouse. I’m so glad that they have retained these and they’ve not succumbed to the cutbacks, as it does add a bit of class to the usual daytime fodder 😂 Sadly, only around 20 other passengers joined me! Afterwards I swung by the Glasshouse to check if they have any events on and they have a wine tasting session one sea day, so I booked us on to that. I asked about the Captains Table events (not the buffet dinner on the new ships, but an officer hosted private dining even for around 15-20 guests) that we used to enjoy on Aurora. Apparently they are ‘considering’ reintroducing them and it may be during this cruise. We shall see. The head wine waiter (who I recall from previous Aurora cruises) has noted our interest. 

Dinner at 8pm was just the four of us again on our table of 8. I have found out why the dinner sittings are 6pm and 8pm. First sitting was over subscribed so they brought the times forward so that second sitting wasn’t as late for those who were unsuccessful. Although we wanted second sitting, in all honesty this earlier time is fine, especially as the shows are now 8pm and 10pm (more chance of staying awake)! The show was ventriloquist Gareth Oliver, who seems to be on every single cruise we have been on. As with all the other cruises, it didn’t appeal so we went to bed to be rocked to sleep as it’s still damned rough! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Annoyingly I can find it on the TV (they often film the presentations and show them on TV, but I can’t seem to find a channel for that). Incidentally, the TV is even worse than I remember it. Apart from being tiny, the picture quality is dire and even the sound is fuzzy on some channels. It’s bordering on unwatchable. 

I have not seen film of any talks since the restart, staff cut backs maybe? I used to enjoy catching up on the art talks as they always clashed with something else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Well boy 91 said:

I hope the Glass House is suitably stocked with supplies of Peller Ice Cold Cuvee for you Selbourne 😀o

🤣 Since we left Southampton I haven’t had a single alcoholic drink, as there’s been far too much swaying about just from Mother Nature, without any man made enhancements! It’s still rocking around a lot this morning. I’m beginning to wonder if they aren’t deploying the stabilisers in order to save fuel costs 🤢 

• Like 3

DAY 2 - Thursday 4th March - Sea Day

Our first stop is Madeira, and we seem to be having a repeat of the rough crossing that we endured all the way there (and back) on Ventura a couple of months ago. I’d had a poor nights sleep as a combined result of the movement and the creaking from the ceiling above the bed. 

When we unpacked we realised that we had only bought 30 Stugeron tablets (I was convinced we had more), so as my wife had felt poorly one day on Ventura and I’d been fine, I decided to ration them and let her take two the night before and I’d take my chances. Mistake. As soon as I got up and was trying to keep my balance showering and shaving I started feeling nauseous. My wife felt OK. By the time we were both ready for breakfast I was feeling that I was going to be ill, but it passed and we headed to the main dining room. All I could manage was one spoonful of Bircher muesli and one piece of toast! The odd thing is that the sea isn’t half as rough as our last crossing, but there’s a noticeable swell and that seems to be what’s affecting me. 

We didn’t do much during the morning other than read and do emails, but we found a spot in Charlie’s with a comfortable chair (for me - my wife has to stay in her wheelchair) that was reasonably low down and midships. I did a lap of the promenade deck before lunch and at one point was nearly blown off my feet 😂. We went back to the MDR and I managed a light lunch as I was feeling better. We shared with 3 other couples and all enjoyed a nice chat. One lady was (unintentionally) very amusing with her descriptions of experiences on other ships. Let’s just say that the descriptions wouldn’t have passed the political correctness squad. One other chap was struggling to eat his meal as a combination of shock and amusement 😂 

During the afternoon we had a guest lecturer talking about U-Boats. I was looking forward to this but I was really cross with myself as the combination of just having had lunch, a dark and warm theatre and a lot of motion, I nodded through at least half of it. Our dinner companions felt that he didn’t have the best delivery, but I didn’t see enough to comment! Annoyingly I can find it on the TV (they often film the presentations and show them on TV, but I can’t seem to find a channel for that). Incidentally, the TV is even worse than I remember it. Apart from being tiny, the picture quality is dire and even the sound is fuzzy on some channels. It’s bordering on unwatchable. 

After the talk we went back to the cabin for another nap! The captain had said that the sea conditions would ease as the day went on but they didn’t. If anything, they got worse. Spray was hitting our balcony door and we are up high on deck 11 😱 At 5pm I attended a classical recital (flute and piano) with Kelly and Brown in The Playhouse. I’m so glad that they have retained these and they’ve not succumbed to the cutbacks, as it does add a bit of class to the usual daytime fodder 😂 Sadly, only around 20 other passengers joined me! Afterwards I swung by the Glasshouse to check if they have any events on and they have a wine tasting session one sea day, so I booked us on to that. I asked about the Captains Table events (not the buffet dinner on the new ships, but an officer hosted private dining even for around 15-20 guests) that we used to enjoy on Aurora. Apparently they are ‘considering’ reintroducing them and it may be during this cruise. We shall see. The head wine waiter (who I recall from previous Aurora cruises) has noted our interest. 

Dinner at 8pm was just the four of us again on our table of 8. I have found out why the dinner sittings are 6pm and 8pm. First sitting was over subscribed so they brought the times forward so that second sitting wasn’t as late for those who were unsuccessful. Although we wanted second sitting, in all honesty this earlier time is fine, especially as the shows are now 8pm and 10pm (more chance of staying awake)! The show was ventriloquist Gareth Oliver, who seems to be on every single cruise we have been on. As with all the other cruises, it didn’t appeal so we went to bed to be rocked to sleep as it’s still damned rough! 

Exact Sturgeon equivalent in Portugal is called CINARIZINA,  hope this helps

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Exact Sturgeon equivalent in Portugal is called CINARIZINA,  hope this helps

Yes that does help. Thank you. I asked in a pharmacists in Portugal on our last cruise and they said that Stugeron is used for something else over there and in a much stronger dosage, but they didn’t show me that one. I’ll try to get some in Funchal as the novelty of these rough seas has already well and truly worn off and I don’t fancy another 8 days of it 🤢

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes that does help. Thank you. I asked in a pharmacists in Portugal on our last cruise and they said that Stugeron is used for something else over there and in a much stronger dosage, but they didn’t show me that one. I’ll try to get some in Funchal as the novelty of these rough seas has already well and truly worn off and I don’t fancy another 8 days of it 🤢

Is there no Avomine available at Reception? Might be worth asking.

• Like 1

The Medical Centre may have Avomine which I like better than Stugeron, they do on Cunard anyway so should be the same. If you were ever a big fan of Sea Legs as I was, you can buy them still in America with a different name. If you are interested I will check it for you later as my Cruise stuff is sadly packed away until July currently and not to hand.  

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Here on Arcadia you can get tablets from the Med Centre. At a cost. 

I suspect that Avomine is available as it was on Ventura, but we still have Stugeron left and that’s the only medication that has a 100% success rate for me. Will try to get Cinarizina in Funchal if that’s the same. 

I suspect that Avomine is available as it was on Ventura, but we still have Stugeron left and that’s the only medication that has a 100% success rate for me. Will try to get Cinarizina in Funchal if that’s the same. 

I believe you are in Funchal on Sunday. Most shops are closed on Sundays but you may be lucky and find an odd pharmacy open.

Brian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

If you ask for Cinnarazine which is the active ingredient in Stugeron the chemist will get you sorted. Watch the strength though as we once bought some in the Azores and they only had capsules 75mg strength, we paid about the same for 100 of those that we did for 15 Stugeron at home. I used to pull the capsule apart and make sure there were equal amounts in each side so by the time I had spilled a bit we were getting approx 30mg or the equivalent of 2 stugeron. The capsules were well out of date by the time we used them up but still fine.

As an aside I use Quells (Hyoscine hydrobromide) if there is a deep swell as they work better for me as they as they have a better effect on the vomiting centre and help relax stomach muscles, as opposed to Stugeron in rough seas as they work on the balance for me. I have only started using Quells since retirement for the longer Atlantic crossings, especially North Atlantic were the swells are deeper. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

If you ask for Cinnarazine which is the active ingredient in Stugeron the chemist will get you sorted. Watch the strength though as we once bought some in the Azores and they only had capsules 75mg strength, we paid about the same for 100 of those that we did for 15 Stugeron at home. I used to pull the capsule apart and make sure there were equal amounts in each side so by the time I had spilled a bit we were getting approx 30mg or the equivalent of 2 stugeron. The capsules were well out of date by the time we used them up but still fine.

As an aside I use Quells (Hyoscine hydrobromide) if there is a deep swell as they work better for me as they as they have a better effect on the vomiting centre and help relax stomach muscles, as opposed to Stugeron in rough seas as they work on the balance for me. I have only started using Quells since retirement for the longer Atlantic crossings, especially North Atlantic were the swells are deeper. 

I don’t like Stugeron so will add these to my arsnel for next time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just a heads up for some folk ....

Kwells may also not be suitable for users with high blood pressure (hypertension) or heart disease.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2