Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

45 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I hope you get the US immigration sorted out Selbourne - it will be a shame if your wife loses out

Another word of thanks for your reports.  It’s a little bit of a bind doing them, isn’t it, though still quite fun, as it acts as a personal journal and memory jogger?

Enjoy today

Yes, I’m keeping a copy of them all on a word document for just that reason. 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:39 AM, david63 said:

I think that is the norm these days - we did the same pre Covid on Ventura.

Yes, In 2016 on Oriana we berthed by the dockyard, Kings Wharf. I think I have seen it described as Hamilton (Island of Ireland). However at a later date an ex colleague on Adonia docked at the Hamilton cruise port. So like other ports the old cruise terminals if they are still used seem to only service the small ships.

Edited by Bill Y

19 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Having never been to the US either on a cruise why do you need to clear customs and immigration if you are not planning to get off ship at that port? 

My wife will be getting off the ship at the other 4 US ports after Port Canaveral and my understanding is that you have to clear immigration at the first port, whether you get off or not, but the excursions lady hasn’t got back to me yet so I can’t confirm. Ideally I’d take my wife off the ship for a few hours in Port Canaveral when I return from the tour, if there is enough time left to do so. The general view from the ships crew that I asked about that was that the US immigration staff would have gone by then, which seems odd as people would still be leaving the ship.

Just now, david63 said:

Border Control do not have the word "fast" in their dictionary - they only have one speed slowwwwwwwwwww😉

Having experienced US Border Control a number of times, I know what you mean! However, when we cruised into New York and were on the first tour we were off the ship and through immigration in less than 15 mins. I suspect that’s the exception not the rule though. 

Just now, Waju said:

Not sure you have to go ashore? - US immigration came aboard Aurora in 2018 and did ours

They have said that they don’t yet know whether it will be done on the ship or ashore 🙄

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The general view from the ships crew that I asked about that was that the US immigration staff would have gone by then, which seems odd as people would still be leaving the ship.

They do not sit there all day waiting for people to leave. When the line gets small the latecomers names are called to attend. Staff will go to cabins to get any latecomers. The immigration staff want to get off the ship or leave the port as soon as possible and the captain wants to clear his ship as soon as possible.

Edited by Gettingwarmer

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

They have said that they don’t yet know whether it will be done on the ship or ashore 🙄

I remember being told "don't try and have a laugh and a joke with them, just answer any questions" but the one we had was really nice and asked if we were having a great cruise and said he hoped we would have a good time in the USA!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

My wife will be getting off the ship at the other 4 US ports after Port Canaveral and my understanding is that you have to clear immigration at the first port, whether you get off or not, but the excursions lady hasn’t got back to me yet so I can’t confirm. Ideally I’d take my wife off the ship for a few hours in Port Canaveral when I return from the tour, if there is enough time left to do so. The general view from the ships crew that I asked about that was that the US immigration staff would have gone by then, which seems odd as people would still be leaving the ship.

Thanks for the explanation, does seem a little over the top for people perhaps just visiting for the day. 

Just now, Bill Y said:

Kings Wharf. I think I have seen it described as Hamilton (Island of Ireland)

Now that’s interesting as we all thought that our guide kept saying “Island Island” 😂 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Waju said:

I remember being told "don't try and have a laugh and a joke with them, just answer any questions" but the one we had was really nice and asked if we were having a great cruise and said he hoped we would have a good time in the USA!

I think it depends where you are.  The ones in Florida are more used to tourists so seem to be a bit friendlier.

We went to New York for our 10th wedding anniversary and flew into Newark.  The Immigration official was looking at those forms you had to fill in very carefully and I was panicking thinking I had got something wrong.

The guy looked at me and said "you have stated that you are not carrying more than $10k in cash - is that correct?"

"yes"

"and you are here for your wedding anniversary?"

"yes"

"You do know that we Tiffany's is a very expensive jewellery shop to buy your wife an anniversary gift!"

At that point I let our a huge sigh of relief as he laughed and told him I had my credit cards.

He wished us a happy anniversary and sent us on our way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

You do know that we Tiffany's is a very expensive jewellery shop to buy your wife an anniversary gift!"

I am hoping that we don’t encounter any Tiffany stores on this cruise. My wife has form in this regard and I had a narrow escape in Copenhagen last year 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

39 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am hoping that we don’t encounter any Tiffany stores on this cruise. My wife has form in this regard and I had a narrow escape in Copenhagen last year 😂 

Our lass is also a magpie, so I feel your pain!🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When we were immigrated in at New York and New Orleans, it was done ashore, and everybody had to be 'done' before anyone was allowed back on to the ship.

However, we did two legs of the 2017 Aurora World Cruise, and the first US port was Honolulu, Hawaii.  I think the border force officers must have been flown out to either Fiji or Samoa, as immigration into the US was done on board on one of the sea days before we got to Honolulu. 

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

When we were immigrated in at New York and New Orleans, it was done ashore, and everybody had to be 'done' before anyone was allowed back on to the ship.

However, we did two legs of the 2017 Aurora World Cruise, and the first US port was Honolulu, Hawaii.  I think the border force officers must have been flown out to either Fiji or Samoa, as immigration into the US was done on board on one of the sea days before we got to Honolulu. 

Having not heard anything I went back to the shore excursions team this morning. They have established that the immigration checks will be done ashore and not on the ship, and that all passengers must be processed before anyone is allowed back on or any crew are allowed off. They are going to confirm for me what this means in practice for our situation, but I can see my excursion to the Kennedy Space Centre being cancelled.

For a country that claims to be the most advanced nation in the world, they do have some rather third world attitudes towards things like this, and yet we are their closest ally. Imagine what it must be like if you come from a country that they don’t get on with!

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Having not heard anything I went back to the shore excursions team this morning. They have established that the immigration checks will be done ashore and not on the ship, and that all passengers must be processed before anyone is allowed back on or any crew are allowed off. They are going to confirm for me what this means in practice for our situation, but I can see my excursion to the Kennedy Space Centre being cancelled.

For a country that claims to be the most advanced nation in the world, they do have some rather third world attitudes towards things like this, and yet we are their closest ally. Imagine what it must be like if you come from a country that they don’t get on with!

That’s why we stopped going there, they are not at all welcoming.

The last time we were are Port Canaveral they did it onboard the ship but we were some of the few “aliens” on board Disney as opposed to a whole ship of Brits on P&O. They made us go at 5am when the ship docked as no one could get off until we were checked.

I hope it works out for your trip as I’m sure you would enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Stick with it @Selbourne , that Kennedy Space Centre excursion is really something. We did it while on Oceana....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/17/oceana-35-night-caribbean-round-trip/

AtlantisShuttledisplay5.thumb.jpg.afd6fd2851c239f699caf49412600a7f.jpg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Stick with it @Selbourne , that Kennedy Space Centre excursion is really something. We did it while on Oceana....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/17/oceana-35-night-caribbean-round-trip/

AtlantisShuttledisplay5.thumb.jpg.afd6fd2851c239f699caf49412600a7f.jpg

Agree,we were there in the 80s when a shuttle was on the pad.We missed the launch by a few days.

• Like 1

Just now, brian1 said:

Agree,we were there in the 80s when a shuttle was on the pad.We missed the launch by a few days.

I’d like to go again, but have been before, albeit around 20 years ago. I have also been fortunate enough to attend a nighttime space shuttle launch, an experience that I shall never forget, especially as I took my late Dad who also loved it. 

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Waju said:

I had the same experience. I tripped over my own feet walking to his desk. He smiled and asked if I'd been drinking, I replied "not yet", he smiled again and said as I left, "go open the wine now".

It's just a matter of being sensible and not making stupid remarks about 9/11 or, getting a green card etc.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Have you asked if a staff member could wheel your wife to the immigration point while you are on your excursion?

Edited by terrierjohn

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t give up.

Could you not take your good lady to immigration with you then a member of the ships company push her back to the cabin or might this be too stressful for her. Apologies if you have already explored this.

I am surprised that being in the USA that this trip is not wheel chair friendly as I believe that you were led to believe. The space centre states that “All tour buses are equipped with wheelchair- and scooter-accessible lifts”. Visitors may request this service while purchasing tickets or at the tour bus boarding location”, see:- www.kennedyspacecenter.com/info/accessibility. It's some years since we visited but back then the Space centre buses were waiting at the cruise terminal for us and delivered us back after the tour. It may be worth getting shore excursions to earn their commission. My wife much to my surprise thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Just now, Bill Y said:

Could you not take your good lady to immigration with you then a member of the ships company push her back to the cabin or might this be too stressful for her. Apologies if you have already explored this

I asked about that as well, as my wife would be fine with that. Again, the answer was ‘No’. 

Just now, Bill Y said:

I am surprised that being in the USA that this trip is not wheel chair friendly

The Space Centre is fully wheelchair accessible. The problem is that the P&O transfer there is not. Prior to booking the tour I looked into us getting a cab there but there are a lot of reports of people getting there OK but then having major problems getting back to the ship, even with a pre booked cab (as they didn’t turn up). 

Edited by Selbourne

When we were aboard QM2 a few years ago, the whole ship had to disembark on arrival at NYC and a ‘ zero count’ had to be achieved before passengers returning to S’ton could reboard. I am not sure if things have changed ( suspect not - things don’t get easier these days) but it might sadly mean that to accompany your wife, you may have to forgo your Cape Canaveral trip. It does not sound as though P&O are being particularly helpful though.

Really hope that you get this sorted as C Canaveral tour Is stunning.

Thank you also for your fascinating and entertaining blog. It must take a great deal of effort and it is very much appreciated by those left behind in the snowy cold UK!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The Space Centre is fully wheelchair accessible. The problem is that the P&O transfer there is not. Prior to booking the tour I looked into us getting a cab there but there are a lot of reports of people getting there OK but then having major problems getting back to the ship, even with a pre booked cab (as they didn’t turn up). 

I hope that shore excursions are not telling porkies to make life easier for themselves. Back in 2016 there were no P&O transfers as such involved, the transfers were done in liveried space centre buses. I seem to remember that commentary started before entering the space centre, when crossing a small bridge being told that it and other bridges could be disabled in the event of a disaster to keep rubber neckers away.

I suppose that progress in not necessary in a positive direction.