Aboard Serenity Jan 5-18: Renewing the Adventure

gmarsh

I have one more question in relation to the handling of luggage at debarkation. When I have retrieved my luggage at the port of Miami, my suitcase had two small wholes on it, as if someone has used a drill to do those wholes in the suitcase. The wholes are not large but it is the first time I have experienced something like that. My suitcase had a TSA approved lock. One time in the Miami airport they opened my suitcase and left a note inside saying it was inspected. But this time the lock does not seem as if it was touched at all. Just the two wholes there.

Who does the inspection of the luggage at the port of Miami of our luggage with Crystal? And has anybody experienced something similar? 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I have one more question in relation to the handling of luggage at debarkation. When I have retrieved my luggage at the port of Miami, my suitcase had two small wholes on it, as if someone has used a drill to do those wholes in the suitcase. The wholes are not large but it is the first time I have experienced something like that. My suitcase had a TSA approved lock. One time in the Miami airport they opened my suitcase and left a note inside saying it was inspected. But this time the lock does not seem as if it was touched at all. Just the two wholes there.

Who does the inspection of the luggage at the port of Miami of our luggage with Crystal? And has anybody experienced something similar? 

Ivi

Ivi at the port it would likely be port security. I would think the holes were not intentional but caused with their unloading. But that is just a guess.  

At the airport we have had notes placed in the luggage but other times it was clear they went through it but no notes,  This last time  someone went through one of our pieces and broke a strap. 

Keith 

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Ivi at the port it would likely be port security. I would think the holes were not intentional but caused with their unloading. But that is just a guess.  

At the airport we have had notes placed in the luggage but other times it was clear they went through it but no notes,  This last time  someone went through one of our pieces and broke a strap. 

Keith 

Thanks for your answer Keith. 
Ivi

8 hours ago, gmarsh said:

Today's sunrise from the farm.

17AAAA73-1B38-4821-8B97-B320212B7076.heicUnavailable

Observations and Comments

Food was as good as ever.
We did not eat at Osteria because Waterside had many old favorites that we wanted.
Only one  Waterside meal was weird, the lobster had been way over cooked and had a very fishy smell.  Otherwise, choosing our faves was easy.

Beverages were made quite strong, but we adjusted.
Drink accuracy needs some work, coke and anisette is not the same as vodka/diet coke.
We saw some get red wine while they requested white.
No big deal.

Aquamarine classic staterooms need some carpet and couch replacements.  Just a little worn out.

While we didn’t watch TV much, we do enjoy the news and lectures.  Closed captions need to be enabled for Seniors with hearing deficit.

Excursions were just OK.  The ‘Rum Tasting” was really a drive around to various tourist traps and because of the negative feedback, we got a partial refund.  Good Job Crystal!
Whale watching was great, a bit long of a bumpy ride but we saw them!  Swimming with the rays was also a big winner!

We really missed the excitement of getting a folio in the mail with our luggage tags and additional documents.  I would PAY for the option of hard copy vs. email just to have another folio.

On board stores are the same.  They do not have any real golf shirts in Crystal color with logo.
Mens t-shirts are not golf shirts.  See Calloway or Nike for the real things.

Crew and Hotel staff were exceptional.  Answered all questions with a smile.

This sailing had 599 pax.  Probably the most elderly demographics I have ever seen.  I hope A&K can bring in more of the 40-60 year olds without growing into a mass market style just to get sailors.  It Is a delicate balance.

We were on the same segment. I enjoyed the new reincarnated Crystal and was thrilled to see many crew members back, some were promoted to new positions which is wonderful for them. Food, I felt that the quality of food was better than OC.  Loved my aquamarine classic room which is well laid out. Internet, it was fantastic to have decent speeds with Starlink. I was disappointed that the shops did not have logo items and the sundries were rather limited. The tablet is quirky and kept telling me my PW was no good, yet I loved reading what dinner will be on the menu before I went downstairs.

But……sailing on Crystal beats a mile over sailing another line which I will not go back. I have more cruises booked with Crystal.

TV, that is bothersome to me. NO closed captioned tv shows or movies. I felt Crystal left deaf/hearing impaired demographic out of the picture. In the past with OC (Genting) I fought to have closed captioned put on the tv for everyone and succeeded. With new Crystal while onboard, I felt left out of not being able to hear (closed captioned) tv shows and football games. Time will tell….

kate

Edited by Summer Time
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

Did your luggage have a logo or emblem badge on that location perhaps?

My best bag has two holes where the Samonite tag was.  It stuck out and got pulled off…

G

8 minutes ago, gmarsh said:

Did your luggage have a logo or emblem badge on that location perhaps?

My best bag has two holes where the Samonite tag was.  It stuck out and got pulled off…

G

No, it did not have any logo or emblem there. But I guess it will get a sticker now to cover the holes 😊

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 5:33 PM, ivyleaguegent said:

This is the issue with Regent and Seabourn also, both of which I have sailed on numerous times recently. To the musicians its as if there was no music created after 1985. It's all hustle all the time.  The only hope is that there is a DJ that has music files from this century!!  I leave the same complaints on the comment cards every time.  On a different front, My mission on my upcoming Crystal cruise is to do whatever it takes to get the cruise director to have ballroom music, even if its only a DJ, in the Stardust Club as often as possible like it was "back in the day."  By the second day I'm certain that he or she will hide in his or her office when they see me coming!!

We were on Explora recently.  Music isn’t “current” but there is a lot from the 90’s at least….