MyVoyage

57eric

Here’s my experience with some of the MyVoyage features:

·         Voyage Calendar – This displayed my original shore excursion bookings, but was never updated.  It doesn’t show basic information such as port arrival and departure times or dress codes.

·         Dining – When I asked the maître d’ a question about the virtual queue, he advised me not to use it and to just show up.  (This worked well.)  The app can’t be used to book the Lunch and Learn wine tasing event.

·         Shore Experiences – Worked intermittently.

·         Bar Menus – Prices were out of date.

·         Daily Programme – As has already been posted, the next day’s program is never available.  What I got was roughly 50% the current day’s program, 40% not working and 10% the previous day’s program.

Hopefully improvements are being made.

• Thanks 1

The variation of “App” technology within Carnival brands is unexplainable. Princess and HAL have good feedback (generally) with their onboard technology and even Carnival has an app. Not sure of P&O though but we are the indeed the red-headed stepchildren in terms of technology under the Carnival corporate umbrella. I would like Cunard to offer tech to at least message fellow pax via an app. Especially with the Starlink upgrade, we should see improvements in technology. 

8 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

The only thing we found the app useful for was keeping an eye on shipboard charges. Most other features were not kept up to date or had little content.

I used it for booking one of the pop-up restaurants, when nobody answered the phone.

In addition to using My Voyage for dinner reservations, I have used it to book planetarium shows. That feature worked well and I think it's a welcome replacement for the old system of queuing for tickets at the ConneXions desk.

Actually, I should say it worked well as long as My Voyage was functioning. There was one day on our most recent voyage where the system was down for several hours. And there were other cases when I simply had connectivity issues. Hopefully the recent wi-fi system upgrades have resolved those connectivity issues.

I've commented separately that the Open Dining control on MyVoyage is a bit theoretical (I recognise the software) - and isn't directly connected to the front desk's operations. Hence I think it's best to turn up, and if you avoid the peaks it seems to work out quite well. I did use MyVoyage to book Verandah lunch, that was a smooth experience.

The Daily Programme worked well for me, indeed the source of the Daily Programmes that I used in the QM2 Crossing Thread was MyVoyage. The exception was day1 until I worked out that MyVoyage was a technically easier source for the Cruise Critic uploads. The exception was the front page if there was a high resolution photo, the photo didn't come down everytime but the text did. I found it handy if going to one venue, perhaps not being too keen on the music, then a discreet check on MyVoyage would allow me to try another venue. Occasionally I needed to refresh the App but otherwise it worked fine.

I also use the daily charges tabulation, one can occasionally resolve mistakes straight away since it's live, rather than a visit to Purser's Desk, but yes, it's definitely just for those who want an app - rather than an important and necessary aspect of life on board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Or, better still, they’ll abandon the thing altogether.

How many times on this forum have I been posting DITCH that Blessed App Thingy ! 

Get back to interacting face to face - refer to your hard copy of the daily programme ( use a highlighter and never miss anything) 

As seasoned Cunard guests we  have all been doing this for years , what on earth is the attraction, other than burying one's head in a smart phone . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I used it for booking one of the pop-up restaurants, when nobody answered the phone.

Booking face to face ( and you can ALWAYS find the time when stolling through the Lido) often assures a good table 

Well it certainly has worked for me 😉

10 minutes ago, Ciadan said:

Do you need to have the wifi package to use the My Voyage app?

No - the internet package is only for accessing stuff off the ship.

The 'My Voyage' page is local to the ship [the old buzzword was intranet ]. There are also a few 'cunard.com' and other pages accessible without the internet package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

No - the internet package is only for accessing stuff off the ship.

The 'My Voyage' page is local to the ship [the old buzzword was intranet ]. There are also a few 'cunard.com' and other pages accessible without the internet package.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

As seasoned Cunard guests we  have all been doing this for years , what on earth is the attraction, other than burying one's head in a smart phone . 

On a Commodore Club visit a few months ago, I ordered some drinks, went to the WC, returned to discover that a couple had taken "my" table. Before I could get riled, the charming couple on the next table along whispered in my ear that they were leaving (and that they hold told the thieves that the table was taken!!). So no big deal, I move along, but also I got pinged for 2 lots of champagne from the understandably confused waiter - and I'm teetotal. A quick visit to the bar brandishing MyVoyage and it's all fixed in front of my eyes. I avoid a Purser's Desk visit, with the usual queue and an experience which will never be confused with a ray of sunshine. So I guess some would prefer to do that, the app isn't compulsory, but can be useful.

4 hours ago, NE John said:

The variation of “App” technology within Carnival brands is unexplainable. Princess and HAL have good feedback (generally) with their onboard technology and even Carnival has an app. Not sure of P&O though but we are the indeed the red-headed stepchildren in terms of technology under the Carnival corporate umbrella. I would like Cunard to offer tech to at least message fellow pax via an app. Especially with the Starlink upgrade, we should see improvements in technology. 

Starlink is for accessing the internet, which connects to the outside world. It won't do anything to improve internal connections. ("intranet," as @TheOldBear reminds us)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

How many times on this forum have I been posting DITCH that Blessed App Thingy ! 

Get back to interacting face to face - refer to your hard copy of the daily programme ( use a highlighter and never miss anything) 

I'm pleased there are others who think the way I do. I do not have a smartphone and hope I never need to get one. I do travel with a tablet which comes in handy on trains and in hotels. I have never been able to connect with "My Voyage" on the tablet, so I don't bring it specifically for an ocean voyage. I use the ship's computers for our free internet.

We have done quite well on board with the telephone and in person. When travelling in the Grills the concierge has been helpful.  On our last voyage (on QE) we decided to book a box for one night. Because of my wife's mobility issues I was glad we could book with a person who explained the access for every box in the theatre.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

The only thing we found the app useful for was keeping an eye on shipboard charges. Most other features were not kept up to date or had little content.

On our recent QM2 voyage our ship's account wasn't updated until after halfway through the voyage. Odd, since the servers now all have a terminal strapped to their waist.

If Cunard want to attract younger passengers (sweeping generalisation but it’s younger generations that aren’t used to being disconnected) then they need to get the tech right, but they also need to be aware of their existing customers which means bringing it In as an option. You might want to use the phone and paper, but I’d rather use my phone. They need to make sure *both* are available, both work and both are up to date. 

At the moment it’s a half baked web server which barely works, and just cements the idea that the digital options aren’t worth using. Do it properly, with a proper integrated app that gives live daily programmes, account data, excursions and restaurant stuff. Put messaging in so I can be in contact with other family members on board without needing to use the internet if people want to use it. 

Print the programmes and deliver them as they currently do, let people *choose* what works for them. It's not a choice worth making at the moment given how flaky the digital option is. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2024 at 4:35 PM, NE John said:

P&O has MyHoliday which is exactly the same as MyVoyage just in a slightly different wrapper. It's utterly useless for queueing because it can't send push notifications since its website not a true app and relies on you constantly checking the app. However, when I did use it on P&O Britannia in the summer it did mean that I didn't have to hang around waiting for a table and could go get a drink somewhere with no pager required. I also had to acknowledge that my table was available and that I was heading there meaning P&O could offer the table to someone else if I didn't turn up in a timely fashion.

I was also on Princess this year and their app works much better for pretty much everything except navigating daily programmes. I would far rather have a normal list like we have on Cunard than a TV guide thing which requires scrolling up and down and side to side. With a list I can just look down it until I see something that appeals.

I do worry that Cunard risks getting left behind. Do the folks in charge not realise that today's young people are tomorrow's older people? 

• Like 2